Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anyone reclaimed PPI?
  • Weasel
    Free Member

As above, rather than use some company and give them 25%+ I’ve found template letters on money saving expert, which I intend to send off.

Although I split with the ex gfriend a few years ago we get on fine, so can sort out any paperwork together.

Will the PPI company be awkward and deny I was misold – which in my opinion I was as the mortgage broker said I’ll find you a mortgage and you sign to these products – PPI & Health Insurance?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

northshoreniall

I did, didn’t bother with template letters or conman companies. Just ring your providers PPI line, they take statement and process within the timeframe they are bound to – think 12 weeks – easy as an easy thing.

Make sure tell them weren’t told it was a cancel-able option so were misold.

LLoyds were pissing about paying out after said was due it so rang them few times, threatened with ombudsman and amazingly was in my account next day!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I claimed back PPI from sansburys bank credit card. I phoned them and put my complaint in writing. It took around 6 months but I got it all back with interest. I think now as said above they have got to do it in a certain timeframe. Good luck with it, seems they often pay up with little investigation.

northshoreniall

Also something like 88% of unpaid ones that are appealed to ombudsman get paid out eventually, so all in all good chance of payment.

sc-xc

A lifetime of financial mismanagement has left me with a trail of old credit cards. I know who provided them, but don’t know account numbers. Would i be able to phone (for example) Sainsburys and let them do the digging, or do I need all the info up front?

northshoreniall

I did with one of mine, especially with so many of these companies being all the same behind the scenes. Way I looked at it was what had I to lose except cost of a phone call.

br
    Free Member

Will the PPI company be awkward and deny I was misold – which in my opinion I was as the mortgage broker said I’ll find you a mortgage and you sign to these products – PPI & Health Insurance?

Mis-sold my ar5e, you mis-bought –

/start rant/ The trouble with this country is that people won’t take responsibility for their actions. /end rant/

northshoreniall

Really br? so you don’t think somebody in full possession of the fact that I would never be in a position of claiming on this policy due to already secured income/ job didn’t mis-sell/ mislead in selling a product?
    Oh how I wish to achieve your saintly level of awesomeness, and to clearly never err or misjudge.

takisawa2

By christ, this one’s going to have all the righteous out of their never had finance / saved me ard’earned guv’ funded funded armchairs & chais longues…

sc-xc

It’s OK br, I have just got off the phone to the Ombudsman. He said he hadn’t really considered the facts until he read your post, but now he understands that someone on an internet forum has made a judgement, he is going to tell the banks to stand down.

br
    Free Member

Oh how I wish to achieve your saintly level of awesomeness, and to clearly never err or misjudge.

Didn’t say I hadn’t, old enough to have had dealings with both Standard Life and Equitable Life – and plenty of PPI when younger.

But how many people actually read the T&C’s and/or consider the risks with any investment/spend – somewhere nearer 0% than 100%.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I phoned my bank got all the details I needed they sent me out a form I filled it in 10 weeks later £900 repaid to me.

Call your bank/provider they have to give you the information required by law.

Good luck

northshoreniall

Flip side to your question br – how many sales people properly explained T&C’s to people or they would not be able to claim on said PPI or need it due to employment status/ benefits from job such as prolonged full sick pay etc?

Also in – people not taking responsibility – your dead right and it’s good to see the bank being forced to do so.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Had plenty of loans, finance, credit cards over the years. Never, ever took the PPI the sales people tried to foist on me, as it was blatantly an over-priced, small-print riddled product. If they tried to insist I threatened to go elsewhere.

Appreciate it was indeed mis-sold in many cases, equally I know people who have claimed on PPI and would have been in serious trouble without it.

To the OP: don’t use any claims management company – total rip-off merchants who will take a huge chunk (often 20-25%) of any refund you get. Just speak to the provider and ask what their claim process is, and follow it.

mrmo
    Free Member

wrote some letters, took a while but got my money back from Egg.

As for BR, my case, i was told no ppi no loan, or in the case of my SO, she signed the paperwork then later discovered someone had changed it and somehow she had gained PPI, the fact she had a medical condition that meant any claim would be rejected…..

shotsaway
    Free Member

Whilst I accept than many people were mis-sold PPI policies, I also feel that the ambulance chasers are really fuelling this claim culture in the UK. Firstly we had endowment policies, then bank charges and now PPI.

What annoys me is that many people were correctly sold PPI and fortunately for them they never needed make a claim on the policies but as they didn’t claim they now feel that they were mis-sold. Although this isn’t helped by the way the banks and assurance companies seem to be waving the white flag over PPI claims (When I mean white flag, I’m talking about the likes of Lloyds, who put a £3.5bn provision into their accounts last year)

I also accept that there are people out there that were mis-sold, who did then try to claim on the policy, only to be told that they weren’t eligible because of the terms and conditions/small print. These are the people that were really mis-sold and they should be able to claim the premiums plus any other costs/losses that resulted from the mis-sale. (ie lost a job, couldn’t pay the mortgage, house repossessed, etc etc)

I do wonder what financial products the ambulance chasers will focus on next (Once they have dried up the PPI pot)?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Like others I have over the years had a variety of cards and loan products and now it would take me ages to figure it all out… As such is it worth letting the claim company do all that and have 25%? Thoughts? Otherwise chances are I’d be put off claiming. Would they do this? I assume they do something for their 25%. Lol.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I sent my letter saturday to lloyds when i took 2 loans out when i was in the RN i was told outright i had to have ppi or i wouldn’t get the loans so for some people (including me) the ppi claiming is the right thing as i didn’t as my job was actually secure

wallop

The regulations have recently changed, so any claim must be responded to within 8 weeks.

maccruiskeen

I wonder whether the big electrical retailers are going to find themselves facing the same music over extended warrantees.

I bought a washing machine a few years back and was offered an extra two years warrantee for the price of…….a washing machine.

restless
    Free Member

I have let one of the ppi reclaim companies sort it for me as i have no information from 9yrs ago of account numbers etc. I took finanace to buy a car and the ppi was automatically added on. I was young and naive and taken advantage of by the salesman.
    I don’t even know what company provided the loan.

So i will happily let somebody else sort it all out and pay them a percentage , just like paying for anything else you don’t have the the time to do yourself.

joao3v16
    Free Member

br has a point

We live in a day and age where nobody wants to be accountable or responsible for anything, if they can help it … everything is always someone elses fault these days …

Although the PPI thing is fair enough – we rely on Banks etc to give us proper advice, not just tell us what they need to in order to hit their monthly target for selling a product.

Tango-Man
    Free Member

As long as you can remember who you had the loans with and the credit cards then all you do is fill on the forms from Here and download the consumer questionnaire, fill it in and sent it to the relevant companies, I did that and got my money back.

As for it being mis-sold, I tried to cancel my PPI for the 18 months I had the credit card and for 18 months they lied to me and didn’t remove it

footflaps

Fundamentally PPI was intended as a rip-off, it was priced way above the cost of providing it and heavily promoted / forced on people – hence the ruling over miss-selling.

Weasel
    Free Member

Thank you for the helpful comments and advice.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I have a list as long as my arm of things I wish I’d never done.

To cut a long story short within a year of taking the mortgage out, I found myself out of work albeit with a small financial settlement. During this time when I was in and out of temp work whilst trying to find permanent employment I tried to claim against the said PPI to be told it did not cover me for being out of work – needless to say I was somewhat lost as to why we were paying £80 a month or whatever it was for some pointless policy that didn’t cover what I would deem a basic requirement.

PePPeR

I’ve had similar issues as Weasel, I had PPI I caught pneomonia and was for 2 months and only on basic sick pay, my ppi didn’t cover the losses do what was the point of me having it ?

I’m in the process of claiming it back at the moment!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anyone reclaimed PPI?’ is closed to new replies.