Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • anyone got an electric gate ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I know that sounds incredibly lazy but i seem to have aquired neighbours who have right of access across the bottom of my garden and to park next to my garage which is fine – but they have taken to removing the gate from its hinges(for no apparent reason) and throwing it into the hedge to get their car in and out – then not replacing it which im not happy about as it leaves my garden open to the road.

ive been round a couple of times but they dont answer despite blatently being in.

In an effort to remain cival and not piss them off entirely in the first week i basically want to know if sliding gate openers are A reliable and B expensive to run. – seen them varying from about 300 t0 infinate depending on the features offered.

if they remain silent and not speaking to me ill just weld the gate to its hinges.

Stoner
    Free Member

want kind of gate hinges?

If field gates then take the top hinge pin off, turn it round and reinstall it upside down so they cant lift the gate off.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be at all happy if someone was lifting the gate off my property and throwing it a hedge. Well done for showing restraint. Can’t you catch them in the act and have a word then?

But as above I would look at locking the hinges down even if its only with a big cable tie.

PePPeR

Do as Stoner says, turn top pin over, and I’d also drill a hole through the pins and place nuts and bolts through them too.

I’d also make sure that the bolts that secure the pins are pretty tamper proof too.

scuttler

Dunno but there’s a Massive Stock Clearance over there —> (in the ads panel) if you fancy getting a spiky gate on which to impale them in order to set an example to the rest of the feckless.

konabunny
    Free Member

The ads are semi personalized so you’ll need to give he or him the company name.

project
    Free Member

Chain the gate to the post so they cant be lifted off, or just drill a hole through the pin of the gate and put a bolt there and then bend it over, so its needs cutting off.

easier method is get a couple of jubilee clips that you use on a hose pipe, fix them onto the pins of the hinge, andround off the heads of the screww so they cant be undone, and then point out the police have advised it as gates are being stolen for metal theft, its happening quite frequently round here.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my ads show samsung american style fridges 😉 – thats how rock and roll i am …..

http://www.gatemotors.co.uk/page-375-51-1

386+ vat for the basic kit and a couple of extra key pads is what i was looking at – keeps the dogs out and keeps my driveway secure so worth it imo.

Tbh i can see why the gate is annoying for them as effectively its their driveway (as road parking is limited out front)and i know that opening and closing the gate would piss me off too(as in they would call me a hipocrite as i never close the front gate) but im pissed off they havnt spoken to me about it first im amicable….Either that or they think that the fella in the white van whos been there knocking 7 bells out the place for the last 3 days is just the builder/handyman !

trail_rat
    Free Member

ps Have welder can weld if they continue to piss me off and not talk to me – infact perhaps chaining the gates shut would be a good way to force them to come talk to me !

RoterStern
    Free Member

We’ve got an electric gate that swings open and it is a real PITA! In winter it freezes so doesn’t work and there is no way of getting the damn thing open manually. It came with the house BTW and would be too expensive atm to change the whole front fence of the property.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that doesnt sound so clever rotorstern 🙁

i was looking at sliding ones unsure if they will be any different.

I used to work at a house that had an electric swing gate – it seemed fine and reliable but given they had a swimming pool it probably cost a bit !

wrightyson
    Free Member

Faac kit is decent.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wow – watched said neighbour trying to reverse in yesterday – its safe to say if she were challenged to reverse into an open space she would crash ….

gates – she tried first with them just swung open – then took the long one off the hinge then had 2 further attempts at getting in – i could understand why if she had a big clumsy car but its a skoda yeti…..

once i put my land rover in the white spot infront of my garage shes screwed – i doubt ill need to worry about the gates and she can reverse into my landy till the cows come home her plastic toy will fall apart long before she damages it in a way that will bother me ! – her allocated parking is on the far side of my garage which is the galvanised room/door beyond the asbestos roofed sheds

MrGrim

Just stand back from the gates next time she comes home with earmuffs and two table tennis bats and guide her in. Hopefully she’ll take the hint.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How do they have this right of access/use? Is their house on a split-off bit of land behind?

redthunder
    Free Member

@trail rat

Where are you based. If it’s BRistol area I know someone who installs electric gates etc. Who could help out 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you can’t be bothered turning the top pin over simply get a big hammer and bend either the top of bottom pin over very slightly – gate will not come off.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m amazed she took the gate off the hinges! Does she realise it’s not their property?

tbh I would hate being in the situation of having someone else have a right of way through my property. Who owns the land next door? Would rather have another drive way on the other side of the trees and take down a bit of the hedge to get access to the space.

PS just weld a nut on top of the hinge pin to stop it sliding past.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nah im not bristol based

al it was negotiated by the owners previous to the previous owners with the previous owners of next door

in exchange for the right to access their back garden across mine with a vehicle our garage is largely set into their land and they have a parking spot next to my garage – this i accepted when i bought it.

im just not happy the gate is being left open and off its hinges all the time

trail_rat
    Free Member

like the idea of bending the pin – then when she claims i did it ill merely suggest gates are not designed to be taken off their hinges all the time and its obviously got damaged during the process……..;)

she better answer the door next weekend when im back at the house – i have bad news for her – her chimney slab and potts need replacing and the top of the chimney needs rebuilding as the slab render and pointing are terminal – as in its only a matter of time before she has potts raining down on her – and me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘anyone got an electric gate ?’ is closed to new replies.