Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone got a weeride?
  • smurf
    Free Member

I'd like to get my little one (14 months old) out and about on the bikes. My wife has seen some info on the weeride and a quick google last night suggested its a strong contender.

There isn't much on here about them so I was hoping for a bit of real world experience on the pros and cons vs. other seats. For example, I'm a bit worried I'll need to ride with my knees splayed – not good with an already wonky left leg. Is the comfort version worth the extra? Any advice on helemts as I'll need one of those as well.

smurf

woodey
    Free Member

Hi Smurf

We've got one, used it for my daughter (from 10 months) and will do now for my son.

It does require a more legs out pedalling style but I have always found the better balance than a rear seat compensates for this. It is great to share the ride with the litte one, you can talk and see the same things.

The position of the seat means that the childs weight is in the same position as yours, meaning the bike is well balanced, this means you can be a bit more adventurous in your your choice of trail.

Fits to any bike, our goes on hardtail and Full suspension.

Downside is that it fits on a mounting bar that runs parallel to the top tube, the bar is pretty heavy. This means that if you use the bike for other rides you'll want to take it off, this means re-mounting it each time you go out with the family which is a 10 minute faff.

Helmet from Halfords

Ben

catfood
    Free Member

http://www.bobike.nl/en/Bobike-you-re-sitting-pretty.htm

You could also look at one of these, I run the mini+ one on a Pashley and it takes about 30 seconds to get on and off, mounts to the stem so the kid is a bit further forward so no splaying of the legs, I think the upright seating position of the bike helps a bit tho.

One thing to remember is you have to have the seat set low enough to be able put your feet down when you ride with a front kiddie seat, which is a little bit of a pain.

smurf
    Free Member

Thanks guys

Earl
    Free Member

Got a weeride and a std rear seat. The weeride is much better to ride with as woodey said. Much safer as the handling is not really affected. Knees out? Yes but weather weeride or rear seat, it's good to be able to have your feet on the ground when you stop at lights etc. Also because the backrest on the seat is low it doesn't force the helmet foward/head down.

Note: you need a small amount of headtube for it to fit. Most newier bikes with nostackheadsets dont have this.
    http://www.weerideuk.co.uk/gallery/Weeride/1/med/60b0_1.htm

taka
    Free Member

i want one! scare my small freinds on a downhill run 😉

igm

One thing to remember is you have to have the seat set low enough to be able put your feet down when you ride with a front kiddie seat, which is a little bit of a pain.

Height adjustable seatposts are your friend – I got a £60 KS850 which does the job OK

catfood
    Free Member

Hmm never thought of that, might have a look around.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

fantastic piece of kit had one for about 6mths now and its been money well spent, as said above not haveing to turn round to see what your child is doing is a massive bonus,plus your nipper doesnt have to adopt that side ways lean to see whats going on.never had a problem with legs splayed out as you can slide it forward a little,there is two plastic brakets inside the main fixing point that can be pushed out to fit larger diametr head tubes,the seat seems comfy enough for the little one and he thinks that because he can touch the bars,he is doing the rideing,by him one of those honk honk horns(ones that sound like a duck)and you wont stop laughing as people turn round to give you that"was that nessasery look" only to find your little one doing all the beep beeping.also a top tip for quick change by another seat post then all you have to do is undo the front bracket undo seat clamp and slide the whole thing of takes no time at all.only real gripe is that rideing out of the saddle is a little uncomfy,but not a real issue.if you want a helmet ive got a brand new one you can have for the price of postage(we both bought one on the same day and shops will not exchange helmets for safty reasons) i also bought some pedals that are speeds one side and normal on the other just gives you that extra confidance when out with nipper but also means you dont have to change pedals when you want to go out on your own.
    Banker

smurf
    Free Member

Banker & Earl

Thanks for latest tips / thoughts.

I've got some of the double sided pedals on the bike I'll use (because it's used with bike shoes, trainers etc). Have to check the headtube though – bet I can't fit it on my "proper" off road bike which is a shame. Other bike should be fine.

banker – what's your email addy? Interested in the helmet.

smurf

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a weeride?’ is closed to new replies.