Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone got a Ford Galaxy?
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Looking at geting a new (secondhand) MPV, and have decided on a Ford Galaxy TDCi. Anyone share owning experience? Only problem I have heard of (on most newer Fords) is the aircon being unreliable.

We looked at an 07 plate one today with only 10k miles on it which was tempting, but it's a 1.8, not sure if it's the 100 or 125bhp one (wouldn't touch the 100) but either way it seems from what I've read that the 2 litre 140bhp engine is the one to go for.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

My ex GF's old man has one. Bought it at circa 20k miles. Now done in excess of 140k. He keeps threatening to get rid of it but every MOT it just keeps passing without any major work doing.
    Its a 2litre petrol. *AND* its on the original cam-belt.

antigee

assuming an 07 is not the new model? ie seats lift out not fold into floor
    had a 52 135Tdi did about 130k with no really unexpected mechanicals – nice to drive (yes it is an MPV though)

aircon is a known problem i believe – i found stuff on the ford owners forum pretty much all saying the same – there is a design fault with the way the exchanger entry pipes are set up and it will probably fail at 18months – 2years – whole front of car has to come off 10hrs labour plus a part that costs £300ish so say £800 also got thru a couple of compressors guess cos of gas loss
    like a mobile glasshouse without aircon

pacemaker
    Free Member

I am just about to change my new shape (07) for another, its a company car, 1.8 tdci (125bhp)Zetec.
    I love it, never had any problems, we have 40 of them on the fleet and they have been alot more reliable than the previous fleets on VW tourans and Sharans.

Mine has covered 148'000 upto now, since the last day of August 07, carrying a boot stacked to the roof with over a 1/4 of a ton of commercial espresso machine parts, and a couple of machines with the seats flat ocasionally.

The fleet manager says i have averaged 50.8 mpg since new and i am not the slowest driver 😉

I would definately buy one as a family car.

Anything else you need to know just ask.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

antigee – no the current shape – with the folding seats.

Cheers pacemaker – how do you find the 1.8 engine, enough grunt for overtakes even when loaded up? I don't drive particularly fast (got a motorbike for that) but we go down to Cornwall a lot and those constant hills on the A30 are tedious in our current 1.8 petrol Citroen Picasso, so looking forward to going back to a torquey diesel.

pacemaker
    Free Member

I have never thought i needed more power, put it that way.! 😀

It never needs dropping from 6th to 5th whilst cruising up hill, no matter how loaded, even with 7 adults, it will pull away from 40mph sharply in 6th and will keep going.

falkirk-mark

I would be a questioning why a 3 year old diesel car has only 10,000 on the clock, it just seems too little a mileage for that type of car.

andrewh
    Free Member

Had a Mondeo (basically them) Air-con is indeed a weak spot.
    Other issues with mine were heater resister, power-steering cooler, alternator and passenger side of the heated screen.
    For an 11yr old vehicle with 140k not bad and my 'TLC' (ie. washed it twice and changed the oil once).
    Would recomend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone got a Ford Galaxy?’ is closed to new replies.