Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone fancy doing the Dunkeld killer loop on Tuesday?
  • Fat-boy-fat

Got the week off and am off for a few rides (Mabie on Thursday, GT on Saturday and then Cambusbarron on Sunday).

I fancy doing the old MBR Dunkeld killer loop on Tuesday but I’d prefer not to do it on my own.

Does anyone fancy it (I will warn you that I’m not a racing snake by any meands)?

Fat-boy-fat

Bump?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Where are you travelling from? i would need a lift from edinburgh ( or a train station)

Fat-boy-fat

I’m going to start in Dunkeld. Could give you a lift from Perth train station if that suited.

geoffj

I will warn you that I’m not a racing snake by any meands

Sounds perfik, but I’m not at home. Are you based in Dunkeld FBF?

Fat-boy-fat

Down in Dunblane. Only done that route the once but I’ve always meant to go back to it.

Can give a lift from Dunblane as well obviously.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I can’t make it, but as I live near that area I would be interested in knowing what the route is so I could do it in future

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is a train station in dunkeld I have realised. 😳 I’ll have a look at train times.

geoffj

There is a train station in dunkeld I have realised. I’ll have a look at train times.

There are many more trains to Perth than Dunkeld & Birnam.

Fat-boy-fat

Give me a bell on 07549888250.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

and even more to dunblane. I be a bit hard of thinking today.

swiss01
    Free Member

what is this loop of which you speak? can’t do tuesday but i’m about thursday/friday

Fat-boy-fat
    geoffj

Looks good. Glengarr and Loch Ordie. I wouldn’t bother with the long loop into Craigvinean, but there is a great tech decent to the road bridge on the A9. Check it out on the 1:25,000

Have fun.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is some better stuff around loch ordie than that route as well although I believe some of the singletrack has been made into landrover track

chickenman

My fave addition is left uphill at the yellow marker post (008441)and follow the higher track South parallel to the drove road and the snaking single track climbing to the 300m spot-height viewpoint: Great decent down to fir plantation, then left (some fallen trees) to the path below Lower Cave Crag.

j_me
    Free Member

There is some better stuff around loch ordie than that route as well although I believe some of the singletrack has been made into landrover track

No that’s rubbish TJ. There’s nothing more to see, move along now 😉 !

Yes they’ve done some work on the steep section of ST that runs up the back of the Glack (from the dam to the fork). Not quite landy track, more like a quad bike track.

j_me
    Free Member

chickenman…..road and the snaking single track climbing to the 300m spot-height viewpoint

or continue climbing, then drop down passed the rocking stone, right at the end of the forest, and the ST down to lady charllotte’s cave (bear right). Or even combine them for a nice wee circuit. Best done at night!

Fat-boy-fat

Cheers to Jeremy for coming along today and for cheering me up once the almost inevitable complete loss of faculties happened. Lovely ride in some surprisingly nice weather.

#geoffj: You’re quite right about missing the loop up to Craigvinean. Any suggestions on how to link the Atholl Woods trail to the hermitage offroad? Not looked at the map since I came home but I’ll be missing out the forest loop every time for now on. What a waste of effort.

Couple of pictures from today:

Piccie 1

Piccie 2

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Grand day out grommit 🙂

Ta

j_me
    Free Member

Any suggestions on how to link the Atholl Woods trail to the hermitage offroad?

Back down into Dunkeld, turn left after the bridge and pick up the riverside path. Under the A9, cross the wooden bridge, pass the Forestry Office and follow the road to the Hermitage main Entrance. Personally I would miss that bit out and just head back to Birnam and take the Birnam Glen Road (opposite the hotel gates). Follow the stream up to start the Glen Garr part of the loop.

You got a good day for it 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone fancy doing the Dunkeld killer loop on Tuesday?’ is closed to new replies.