• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • anyone else had problems fitting a bottom bracket to a 456 inbred??
  • renton
    Free Member

or is it just me ??

ta

steve

clubber
    Free Member

Mine was fine.

What sort of problem?

firestarter
    Free Member

i did but then i faced and chased it and it was fine

nickc

paint in the threads?

Shandy
    Free Member

Paint in the threads on mine, bit of a pain in the arse.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Mine was tight but once I got plenty of copper slip in there it went in ok. Had to use the spanner though so make sure it's not cross threaded. Wind it in as far as poss by hand first get a rag on it for extra grip.

jfeb
    Free Member

Not had any experience with fitting BB's to Inbred but this is one of the jobs I hate. For some reason I find it far too easy to cross-thread, fit them the wrong way round etc!

igm

Bit of trouble with my Inbred SS, but the 456 I had was fine. Paint in the threads I think, sorted it with a wire brush and (now listen carefully) getting one cup in then threading the second cup on to the cranks and using the cranks to keep the cup true and avoid cross threading. If th crank is going through both bearings and the cup is centred in the BB then the threads should be properly aligned. Then I got one of those big Pedros HTII BB spanners on it and put it in really gently.

renton
    Free Member

like i said . one side went it fine using nowt but my hand.

the other did have a bit of paint in it but that was cleaned out with a wire brush and it still wouldnt go in.

took it down the lbs and he said that its the tightest bb he has ever come across.

hopefull chaisng and facing will sort it.

igm

Same here – try using the crank to align it – what you got to lose and it worked for me

tinsy
    Free Member

so it wasnt your poor old BB that you blamed yesterday then?

renton
    Free Member

nope….. "walks away with head hung in shame!!"……………

MS
    Free Member

My 456 was fine. But my mates took a bit of time. I greased it up, then just kept trying it, and it eventually went in.

firestarter
    Free Member

what worked for me before also was chasing thru with an old stainless steel bb i had

cp

my old octalink b/b went in mine fine, but when i got HT2, I got the bb chased and faced as a standard measure. the ht2 bb went in super smooth.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

We had to get my hubby's frame faced and chased (exactly same problem as you Renton – one side went in easy but the other was a no-go), which was a bit annoying, but once that was done it went in fine. At the end of the day it is a cheap frame, but it was an inconvenience all the same. Still once it was built all was forgotten – they're fun bikes.

tangobravo
    Free Member

so in the end the blame falls on a cheap frame not a BB, are you going to send an apolagy to them then for calling them supercrappy or whatever was said?

i doubt they care what people write in their rants anyway!

igm

By the way is it always the drive side that's tight?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘anyone else had problems fitting a bottom bracket to a 456 inbred??’ is closed to new replies.