Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone else had a swollen knee cap?
  • d4
    Free Member

Did it riding road bike to Cornwall (from London)and been off the bikes now for 2 months. A little frustrated is an understatement.
    How long till you were back to full fitness?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ooh ooh me me 🙂

took a month to go (assuming you mean Pre-Patellar Bursitis) but has now revealed the painful lump it was protecting underneath. now i just have a knobbly kneecap

d4
    Free Member

Didn't get the official name, GP just said back of knee cap was swollen and should be better in a month or so. Is better but still too tender for any serious riding.

Solo
    Free Member

Not sure if this is relevant, but just trying to help.

Someone I once knew on a job I was doing, they were a keen but relatively new cyclist, had developed terrible knee pain.

To cut a longer story short, it turned out to be his set-up.

I lent him a book I had, it got him into a sensible general position on the bike, from which he would only need to tweak some of his settings. He hated the new position initially, but only because he had grown acustomed to his usual riding position.

Anyway, changing his set-up worked !, and he went from facing the possibility of having to give up cycyling altogether, to now being a happy and regular rider.

He has kept his hand-in and cycles even now, just for the sake of set-up.

It can not be ignored or under estimated, imo.

So, check your set-up also.

Apologies if you have already sorted your set-up.

And I wouldn't ride until the pain is totally gone. As we all know, pain is natures warning system.

I hope you get well soon.

🙂

Solo.

d4
    Free Member

Thanks solo, don't suppose you have the name of that book?

Natural foot position is quite toes out so tend to set up my cleats so that heels skim the chain stays but would ideally like even more toe out. Not sure if that is a factor but had a fair bit of time to think about different possibilities.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Try not to kneel down on hard surfaces, during and after the recovery period , as this is one of the causes of Bursitis, [ housemaids / carpet fitters knee ] . Funnily enough my right knee hurts when my bottom bracket is about to go.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else had a swollen knee cap?’ is closed to new replies.