Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anybody use Schwalbe Smart Sams?
  • retro83
    Free Member

They look like a cheap, light, fast rolling tyre for summer.

Are they any good as a rear tyre?

I have to do a few miles on the road to get to my local trails so I need something rather less draggy than my current Minion on the back wheel.

LapSteel
    Free Member

I have been using them for a few weeks as I do a bit of road riding. They do roll really well..I have the 2.1’s which look more like 2.0’s.

I also use them up at Lee Quarry and general bridleway/footpath riding around Rossendale/Todmorden. I think they’re excellent in the dry not too sure about the wet though. They were a bit skittish in the mud but I try and avoid lots of mud where possible.

As a back tyre they should be excellent…..I am thinking of getting something a bit grippier on the front but havent got round to it yet

retro83
    Free Member

Yeah, won’t be using them in the mud but the wet is my concern really, especially wet rock at places like Afan.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They’re great on rocks, wet or dry as they have lots of contact area. I use the 2.25 snakeskin version on the back and it’s excellent, unless in mud where obviously it’s not so great due to the tread pattern.

retro83
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, ordered from on-one. Half price!

retro83
    Free Member

Very quick review after 30k on them.

Very fast/good on road, good on hardpack. Average grip but fast rolling on loose/soft forest single track. Poor on wet mud. Surprisingly good cornering at speed. Seemed better under braking than my high roller was as a rear tyre.

Mine are the orc light 2.2 ones. They come up more like 2.1s.

so far seems like a good compromise for those who need to do a few miles of road to get to the trails.

retro83
    Free Member

Very quick review after 30k on them.

Very fast/good on road, good on hardpack. Average grip but fast rolling on loose/soft forest single track. Poor on wet mud. Surprisingly good cornering at speed. Seemed better under braking than my high roller was as a rear tyre.

Mine are the orc light 2.2 ones. They come up more like 2.1s.

so far seems like a good compromise for those who need to do a few miles of road to get to the trails.

Marge
    Free Member

I run one on the back of my Scale.
    It does roll really well & feels pretty good for the rear end, though I don’t feel any difference in rolling to a Racing Ralph which have more grip generally…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anybody use Schwalbe Smart Sams?’ is closed to new replies.