Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • Anybody use a rowing machine?
  • Jason
    Free Member

I never quite broke 6:30. I think I got down to 6:31 at one of the Indoor Championships. I needed to loose about 5kg to make myself a light weight, but was never that dedicated! I was generally better at the 5k or 10k distnaces, but maybe that was because less people did them?

I haven’t been on a Concept2 for 3 or 4 years, but would hope I could knock out a sub 7:00 2k if I had a go now.

clubber
    Free Member

I thought that was actually a very good time for a LW?

A good national level lwt kind of score. 6:35 was the minimum to be allowed to do the GB trials IIRC.

aracer
    Free Member

6:35 was the minimum to be allowed to do the GB trials IIRC.

😯 – could definitely have got down to that – though then I’d have had to be able to row a real boat I suppose.

clubber
    Free Member

Indeed… it’s one thing hitting the scores on an erg, another to do it in the boat.

clubber
    Free Member

And it’s maybe worth pointing out that if you were scraping in at 6:35 you’d be expected to be a weight gimp – eg you bring the crew average down to allow for the ‘big’ lwts pulling decent scores.

aracer
    Free Member

Would 10.5 stones (what I was at the time) be enough of a weight gimp?

clubber
    Free Member

Reasonable – certainly in the right sort of area – nearer 10 would be better still (and what the really good weight gimps were at)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Can be a bit boring but will get you in shape if you train 4 times a week.

Flaperon

I only use it for the VO2 max calculation, ‘cos it hurts. So about every 2 months.

http://www.concept2.com/us/interactive/calculators/vo2max.asp

That’s at a drag factor of 140, about lever setting 5 for me though obviously it depends on altitude and even weather on the day.

How do you row 2k in 6.30?! 8.05 (62kg) has been my best time, and that literally finished with me toppling sideways into my own pool of sweat.

clubber
    Free Member

How do you row 2k in 6.30?!

Decent technique is the simple answer…

captain_bastard
    Free Member

the concept II keeps me going to the Gym (admittedly not during the summer) – someone once said to me it’s the machine of truth, which does make sense

always funny to see the rows of bikes, treadmills and cross trainers permanatley occupied, and the rowing machines empty, guess that says a lot! (that is about the type of person who drives to the gym to then walk on the treadmill – takes all sorts i guess)

i’ve tried all the main distances, including the marathon – never been too bothered by times, but can normally manage a sub 20min 5k or 40 min 10k without too much bother (at 10st even, i’m a lightweight, so lack power to go much quicker).

clubber
    Free Member

including the marathon

😯 26 miles on an erg. That’s just silly.

AngusWells

Not as silly as the real thing. You don’t have to get off to carry your Concept II round a lock.
    Boston Marathon

donsimon
    Free Member

If I want to row, I’ll find a boat.
    If I want to go sculling, I’ll look for an ergo. 😳

clubber
    Free Member

er I’ve done the Boston Marathon… it was a long way but good in a strange way in a good crew.

AngusWells

My son was in the J18 4X winning crew last year and they thoroughly enjoyed it. Fools.

Doesn’t make me qualified to talk about rowing machines though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

clubber is the Smee of rowing. Actually, I think Smee said he used to regularly do 6.45 2ks – without any instruction.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just managed a 7.12… I almost died, took me about half hour to return to feeling anything like normal.

clubber
    Free Member

that’s a good thing, right DD? 😉

when we going.out for a spin, anyway?

clubber
    Free Member

oh and well done tsy

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry clubber, missed a big 🙂 Yes, that’s a good thing. Free all next week apart from Tuesday and Thursday. 😉

TSY, well done. How’s that five minute mile coming along?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Still not running at the min Darcy, training starts in October. Really want to drop my 2k time now as well though!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah yes…of course.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oooooh, what’s wrong with ambition? I’m going to give it my very best shot!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I know you will. I’m backing you 110%. Xx

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

LOL 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Anybody use a rowing machine?’ is closed to new replies.