Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Any younger folk (20's) riding around Sheffield regularly?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Sounds creepy, probably is, but here goes.

My wife and I moved to Sheff about 18 months ago for her to do a Master’s degree with the intention of staying til that ended then moving. However, one thing has led to another and now she’s going to be doing a PhD, which means we’ll be here for 3 1/2 more years.

As we didn’t intend to stay I’ve not made much effort to make riding mates and haven’t ridden so much, I’ve been riding with a group of guys that ride on a Wednesday night but they’re all in their 40’s and as I’m in my mid-twenties we don’t have much in common and, without being too rude, they’re a bit mincey.

Anyone on here a yoof that rides regularly and wouldn’t mind someone else tagging on? I thought about asking the uni club but thought that’d be a bit weird given that I’m not a student.

I have had a CRB check and that, so I’m sort of clean, honest.

Houns

Duane…
    Free Member

I’m 22, in Derby til start of July, and occasionally head up Sheffield way. What kind of riding do you do?

I know a couple guys from the uni club and they’re good guys, not sure how cliquey they are, may as well drop them a message though.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Duane- just bikes. Round here I prefer mucking about in the Peak and definitely prefer shorter (<20 mile) techier rides to all day moorland slogs.

Are you up much midweek evenings? I know between now and July my weekends are very busy.

Houns- your services are required. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/another-etiquette-question-epic-fail-content

tang
    Free Member

Nice poke of the hornets nest!

scandalous
    Free Member

I don’t mince (but I am only 38!)

Duane…
    Free Member

Feel free to add me on fb

munrobiker
    Free Member

Duane, chances are we’ve met before- I was at St Andrews and organised the Scottish Student Champs two years ago. I’ll get on facebook now.

Scandalous- Have you got a regular ride going?

thejesmonddingo

You ignorant,arrogant whippersnapper,I’m only 58,and can mince for England 😆

Duane…
    Free Member

Ah, I’ve only really gotten involved with uni riding this year, this year was the first year I did any uni racing (BUCS DH)!

munrobiker
    Free Member

thejesmonddingo- I didn’t say I wasn’t a mincer, I just have a bit less mince 😉

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m a regular Sheffield rider and I don’t mince. I like the same sort of riding you do, split between Peaks and Wharncliffe mainly.

However, being 31 years old I don’t fit the main criteria. For this I can only apologise. I wish you well in your search for suitable riding companions.

thejesmonddingo

Just you wait till you’re my age,lad……..drifts off into senile mumbling……

ron70
    Free Member

I bet those sweary northern boys would show you some good stuff but may be too tech for you! 😀

edit: argh just realised the age criteria, think them lads are all mid 30’s…nevermind!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Jackthedog- sounds close enough for me, mind if I drop you an e-mail? I promise not to rib you about being old or anything.

ron- I used to ride with Blower. Wouldn’t say it was too tech. What I’m really after is a regular ride once a week to force me out on the bike again and if they do something like that it’d be cool to see them again.

I was just becoming aware that I spend 90% of my time with folk who are a lot older than me and have things like kids and DIY getting in the way of riding, which is fair enough, when I probably ought to be hanging around with people more my own age. At the moment the only person my age I know in all of South Yorkshire is my wife, and she’s great, but there has to be some time to get away!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Another Sheffield dweller here.

I’m a non-mincer who prefers shorter techy rides.

I have blue eyes and size 11 feet.

However, I am also 32 🙁

glupton1976
    Free Member

Steve Peat doesnt fit the criteria either. 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ropey Reign Rider- again, early 30’s will do. You also match my desired feet and eye criteria. Again, mind if I drop you an e-mail?

banks
    Free Member

I’m 23 but probably too hardcore for you 😀

grum
    Free Member

Do you need pics?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I have never felt old before (i’m 30) but this thread has made me feel it ha!

I’m Sheffield based too and like you need to force myself to get out more. I’m doing a PGCe so I’ve not been out for what seems like an age.

Drop me a mail and i’ll join the rides, if you’ll have an oldy like me ;-).

ianv
    Free Member

What about getting in touch with ride sheffield and the Eckington Trail collective throught FB??

Or go to Wharncliffe on a weekend?

andeh

24 and in Doncaster, but don’t hold it against me. I ride over in the Peaks and wharncliffe a fair amount.I prefer shorter, technical rides but am partial to the odd long walk on the beach.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

lol at luke – ride on your own then jedi master

Superficial
    Free Member

I think I might fit the OP’s stringent criteria. Yessssss! I am not, however, a powerfully-built company director nor do I possess a GSOH. My feet are a rather average UK 9.

I ride most weekends but I’d like to get a semi-regular evening ride going as well. Drop me an email. Even better, why not start a group email thing?

P.S. Add Ride Sheffield on Facebook. There are always people on there trying to organise rides. I can’t promise that they’re not 45 yo mincers though.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Rob- I’m not referring to you! You’re fine. Just you live a bit of a way away.

Superficial- I’ll add you in to the e-mail I sent Mosey.

Pieface

Are the Wednesday night rides largely centred around Rivelin / pub?

I may be able to be tempted out but when you say the curernt rides are too mincey is that not technical enough or energetic enough?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Pieface- I’ll see what we come up with. I’m close to Rivelin and it is the most obvious place to start. The guys I’ve been out with ride at a high pace but I find the trails a bit tame. (You’re not on Mleh are you pieface? The name in your e-mail is familiar)

Blower
    Free Member

Luke
    A looooong time ago when I last rode with ya n even then mi riding had changed
    And certainly now its changed more too
    It is Tech what we do n steep but looks nothing on the vids,those who have come out with us have a shock at the stuff in the vids when they see it

munrobiker
    Free Member

Blower- mine has too (fortunately). Wouldn’t mind at least having a go (word is you’ve found something really good in the valley just south of Ladybower that the old railway line trail goes down?)

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Who are these mincers? That’s what I want to know.

hora
    Free Member

Mountain biker struggling to make friends in social situations needs to find fellow riders ‘his age’ who are handy on bikes.

Whats wrong with that? 😆

gmex619
    Free Member

Im not far outside Sheffield and I’m 19.. but I kniw precisely 0 routes for riding..

thepodge
    Free Member

33, Sheffield, was called a mincer once by someone straight lining all the corners I was going round… I beg to differ with their view

antigee

It is Tech what we do n steep but looks nothing on the vids,those who have come out with us have a shock at the stuff in the vids when they see it

their hair turns grey and then they try to spout off about grammar whilst they mince

rob-jackson
    Free Member

luke come out wednesday – meet us at fox house – 7:30

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Pieface- I’ll see what we come up with. I’m close to Rivelin and it is the most obvious place to start. The guys I’ve been out with ride at a high pace but I find the trails a bit tame. (You’re not on Mleh are you pieface? The name in your e-mail is familiar)

It’s Pogo, you knobber.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I knew it!

Rob- I’ll see what I can get organised first round here.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

text me if you do

Blower
    Free Member

Hmm we keep finding new stuff yeah
    And Rob does also by the sounds of it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Any younger folk (20's) riding around Sheffield regularly?’ is closed to new replies.