• This topic has 19 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cold.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any XBOX 360 experts on here?
  • cold
    Free Member

Just bought an XBOX 360 (2nd hand) and everytime I switch it on I get three red rings on the power on switch and it does nothing, turn it on and off and it usually comes to life, is this normal, any fixes if its not?

Thanks

BoardinBob

It's on it's way out. Google "Red Ring of death"

meesterbond

Do a search for 'Red Ring of Death'… the clue's in the name

Drac

You bought a broken one.

newro97
    Free Member

i've had a couple do this to me got them repaired by a guy at a local computer shop. the first shop i took one to charged me 25 quid to look at it then told me it was dead, the second shop fixed it in a couple of mins and charged me £30 he also said it shouldnt happen again, after a year of heavy use its still running fine.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Red ring of death – is that some kind of terrible bumming injury?

iamtheresurrection

Microsoft are pretty good with this, and as long as the box hasn't been opened they usually extend the one year warranty to three – although not sure if it's original owners only…

Worth a call/email.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Probably the gpu or cpu overheated, can usually(90%) be fixed with a couple of torx drivers and some thermal paste. google red "ring of death fixes". There some vids for the fix on youtube as well 🙂

hp_source

Microsoft are pretty good with this, and as long as the box hasn't been opened they usually extend the one year warranty to three – although not sure if it's original owners only…

IME it doesn't matter if you're first owner or not, I bought one second hand, and it died after about 6 months, registered it as dead on-line with microsoft (xbox live website), they picked up, replaced and dropped off again within a fortnight I think it cost £18, no trouble since.

Keith

xc-steve
    Free Member

Ask for your money back! Otherwise register your xbox on-line for a repair if it's not been done before you don't need any proof of purchase or anything just the serial number to send back to Microsoft. So shouldn't be any issues!

MrNutt
    Free Member

seriously, wrap it in a dry towel, turn it on, you should hear the secondary fan come on after a while, that can sort it out sometimes!

Travis

wow, Microsoft being innovative, first the Blue Screen of Death, now the Red Ring of Death, wonder what their next product will have..

ski
    Free Member

Red ring of death

LOL sorry I know its childish 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Generally the worst thing you can see on a microsoft product is the "green light that means it's working"

baldSpot
    Free Member

my xbox has just went back to Microsoft today. this is now the second time it has RROD'd. Should be fully covered by it's 3 year extended warranty but it is a PITA

DaddyPig
    Free Member

You can send it back Microsoft. Depending on what year it is they might mend it for nothing. Maybe not as you're not the original owner.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Mine was about 4 yrs old and out of warranty when it broke a few months ago. Sent it away for repair and they sent me a new one, all FOC.
    Give them a call, you have nothing to lose.

adstick
    Free Member

Warranty has been extended to 3 years for rrod and you don't need to be the original owner. All info on their site. Just sent mine back with the same issue.

Andituk
    Free Member

Go on the support website and register it, it'll tell you how old it is, and if its in warranty. It will die completely if you ignore it.

cold
    Free Member

Thanks everyone!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any XBOX 360 experts on here?’ is closed to new replies.