Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Any Peugeot experts in? HDi problem…
  • kaysee

Just thought I'd throw a quick question on here, before I get bogged down in google-fuelled car hypochondria…

Driving back from Exmoor yesterday (warm day, 75mph ish motorway\dual carriageway), about 100 miles down the road (and about 20 from home), heading up a hill, suddenly I lost all power. Car slowed down, engine was running but not sounding happy, and I managed to creep to the side of the road and stop, with heavy feeling steering so now power steering. Also, no warning lights of any kind on the dash, and oil\water temps all fine. Stopped the car, tried starting, and it was fine.

Carefully continued, and for the next few miles the car alternataed between feeling fine and a bit rough. Stopped a few miles down the road, checked under the bonnet and under the car, nothing looked amiss and revving the engine sounded fine.

Drove the rest of the way home with no problems at all…

Any ideas what may cause this? I had run the fuel tank quite low (but not as low as I often do) then filled right up half an hour before – fuel blockage? I'm hoping it's not a dodgy turbo or fuel pump, but any suggestions would be useful.

Aristotle
    Free Member

From a generic viewpoint,

If any of the engine's sensors show an unexpected value, the ECU may reduce boost to protect the engine.

The first things I'd check are that the sensors you can see have good connections and that the turbo pipes are attached firmly with no obvious leaks (check when warmed-up).

Beyond that, it gets more involved.

trail_rat
    Free Member

take it to a garage you trust – HDIS are prone to eating fuel pumps/filters ….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sssimon
    Free Member

change your diedel filter, mate spent a grand on a BMW before the muppet at the garage though to do that

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get rid of it before it becomes expensive.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Check the EGR valve too.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Has it got a particulate filter? If so, has it been changed – I believe that these need chaning at around 70,000 miles – the resulting blockage can lead to the symptoms you describe, along with faulty egr, faulty injectors, air in the fuel system etc. Start with the simple stuff like filters and if nothing like that works then it's garage time…

kaysee

I'll get the filters checked first then – it did feel a lot like a fuel problem. Thanks.

toys19
    Free Member

Sounds the same as my pug 406 air mass flow meter, its near the airbox and they fail. The car goes into get you home mode which is eff all power but running, makes you think its about to die but will run fro ever like this.

Piece of piss to replace ebaylinky and cheap to boot…

If you are near Exeter I can recommend a couple of excellent mechanics.

Aristotle
    Free Member

If it is a hot-wire MAF, then you can clean them carefully with contact/brake cleaner and a fine brush.

bone_idle
    Free Member

Yep had this on my vivaro and it was the Maf its easy to check, Locate the maf should be bolted to the airbox, Remove the connector and drive if your motor drives like it should voila its the maf. Should take about 20 minutes to replace do it yourself its no harder than changing a wheel.

toys19
    Free Member

Aristotle – Member

If it is a hot-wire MAF, then you can clean them carefully with contact/brake cleaner and a fine brush.

Yeah I tried this on mine no joy.

kaysee

OBD computer shows up a MAF sensor fault – new one going in tomorrow. Thanks all!

hora
    Free Member

Sorry to sound tight- is the MAF sensor in a HDI cleanable with electric contact spray etc?

I had a similar problem in a VW 1.9TDI- MAF cleaned and it perked up.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yes the maf is cleanable but generally it doesnt cause such drastic power loss as indicated in the OP. OP – unplug the MAF and go for a drive without, it should drive perfectly happily without it (if a little more fuel hungry than before).

One thing I'd check is the cable connection to the throttle sensor (near the radiator). Pop it off (with the ignition off) and check it's clean and dry, then wiggle it back together. It gets water in it whn you open the bonnet in the rain and can corrode a little.

MAF sensor fault could well be a historic one, plenty of people try the "pull the connector" trick to see if it's at fault.

They're not known for lunching pumps, unless you run them on veg oil or feed them with injector cleaner regularly, don't believe the naysayers.

Do you have an OBDII reader/resetter? If you're anywhere near glasgow I'll do it for you no probs.

tron
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry about the EGR. They're the devil's own job to get on and off, and if it's failing, the car will show a fault. Even when they are failing, they don't cause drastic power loss.

Which HDi are we talking? The early 2.1s and late 2.0s are more complex than the 2.0 HDi fitted to the 406.

MrNutt
    Free Member

banana in the exhaust?

andydicko
    Free Member

I had run the fuel tank quite low (but not as low as I often do) then filled right up half an hour before – fuel blockage?

I'd consider looking at possible contaminated Diesel, you'd be surprised at the problem that it can cause, also HDI's don't really like high bio content fuel, that also includes some supermarket fuel

coffeeking
    Free Member

Most D these days contains something like 5% bio. And pug have tested and OK'd 30% bio fuel for HDi's, amazingly.

toys19
    Free Member

The early 2.1s and late 2.0s are more complex than the 2.0 HDi fitted to the 406.

Confusing!! This is my 2nd 2.1 hdi 406….

kaysee

All logged faults hve been reset, and some of the original symptoms may have been panic induced as I pulled across two lanes of traffic in a rapidly decelerating car… Car has been fine for 50 or so miles after it happened, so could quite possibly be dirty fuel related.

Got a cheap, new MAF going in tomorrow, just in case.

Oh, and it's a 2.0 d' turbo on a 53 plate, 70k on the clock.

grtdkad

Hmm, sounds a bit familiar. My 3.0 DCi Espace is sitting on the drive right now has a chronic misfire when under load (any incline basically). I took it to our local, small Renault dealer who in their wisdom advised "you've got a misfire". Genius! Their diagnostics couldn't detect a fault though…

…thinking of starting with the cheap stuff, plugs, fuel filter etc…?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Got a cheap, new MAF going in tomorrow, just in case.

Beware, lots of the cheap copy MAFs do not match the correct output/flow characteristics.

hora
    Free Member

grtdkad don't keep driving it – get over to a Renault forum etc. If its misfiring you could be a risk of causing a detonation within your cat.

grtdkad

Thanks Hora!

MrsToast
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry about the EGR. They're the devil's own job to get on and off, and if it's failing, the car will show a fault. Even when they are failing, they don't cause drastic power loss

I had power loss as a result of a knackered EGR (common in 03 – 07 diesel Renaults and Nissans) – the car would lose power, struggle along, then poot! The car would surge forward and regain power for a short time again.

hora
    Free Member

seriously- not sure it would apply to a diesel but in a petrol if you run the fuel to rich etc (if one of the sensors its kicking out the wrong values) it can mean lean fuel is detonated inside the cat fragging it.

A backfire on a cat-enabled car is a no no in my books. I wouldnt even drive it 'gentley' until you get it seen to. A cat can be crippling in cost.

toys19
    Free Member

Beware, lots of the cheap copy MAFs do not match the correct output/flow characteristics.

Yeah I was told this, but I did it anyway, works like a charm. But remember anecdotes are not science..

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Any Peugeot experts in? HDi problem…’ is closed to new replies.