Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Any old John Peel fans here?
  • ski
    Free Member

Was a big fan of JP & his Festive 50s, miss his sessions big time.

But recently, well for the last year or so, been listining to Dandelion Radio, named after JP record label I think, so far its been a great tribute radio station.

Just wondering, how other JP fans get their kicks now & which radio stations do you tune into.

donsimon
    Free Member

I was a big JP fan but I wouldn’t say I was old. 😕
    RTVE Radio 3

Pigface
    Free Member

Loved his music show, loved Home Truths, was in New Zealand when I heard on the world service that he had died, dont mind admitting I cried like a baby.

higthepig
    Free Member

Yup, still miss JP. Sat at home watching Pink Pop on the TV, 3-day music festival held in the Nederland’s this weekend. Just watched highlights of The Manics, Wolfmother, Eliza Doolittle (definite hottie), Ash, Avenged Sevenfold and Tim Knol. Eclectic music and brilliant, shame I was at work and had to miss it and I only live 7 miles away, bugger!

grahamh
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiLeUV98nY[/video]

grantway
    Free Member

+ 1 fan here None of the BBC DJ’s have stood up to the Mark. In fact not even close.
    The man was pure quality.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I was a fan till I read his autobiography, then decided he was a bit of a **** actually.

Usually listen to 6 music or boot liquor radio,music for working rednecks and drunken cowtippers.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Loved listening to his late night Radio1 programme in the early 80s, usually tape recording it and editing the good stuff, discovered lots of great UK punk/goth.

Haven’t read his autobiography, tell us more?

montylikesbeer

Man was a profit , rip

Leku
    Free Member

Used to listen 10 -12 Monday – Thursday.

In the days when Radio 1 stopped at midnight….

Did A level Art with Lamp, the drummer from Bang Bang Machine, who came first in one of the festive 50s.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“Haven’t read his autobiography, tell us more? “

He just came over, to me anyway as really smug and self satisfied, with a hugely inflated opinion of himself, that was at odds with the image he seemed to like to present.

Seemed to be over interested in “young” girls when he was in the States and a bit on the sleazy side as well.

He was a real hero of mine, and after reading it, I came away feeling slightly soiled by him.

Could just be how I read it though.

RichPenny
    Free Member
    granny_ring

Loved listening to his shows around ’76 to early 80s.

Was queuing in the bank when the tv screens showed the news of his death, a very sad day and a really nice bloke.

stevious

Started listening to him in the 90s, and felt like I’d lost a family member when he died.

His son Tom does a show on 6music on Friday nights, and his shows are superb. You can tell his dad’s been a big influence, but he’s not just a John Peel tribute act. Worth a listen.

DezB
    Free Member

Massive fan of Peelie for donkeys.
    Then Mary Anne Hobbs’ Breezeblock/Experimental shows.
    She left and it’s all a bit shit radio-wise so I just use the net to discover new stuff and like JP, not sit around thinking how wonderful it all use to be!

NZCol

Loved the festive 50’s. Also have him to blame for my unhealthy enjoyment of HMHB.

bob_summers

Irreplaceable. I did enjoy Mark Lamarr ‘s shows on R2, shame those ended. Listening to Bob Harris these days who can play good stuff from time to time but also some awful records. But not awful in a good way, as Peelie did….

duncan

+1 for Tom Ravenscroft’s Friday 6music show, essential listening.

John Peel’s still a hero; reading his autobiography certainly didn’t lower my opinion of him. He just tells stories of achievements to be proud of and achievements to be ashamed of in the same matter of fact way. I got the impression that regret and pride were not feelings he really liked to indulge in, and I think that’s a fine way to be. Never thought of it as smugness before but I can understand why it could come across like that though.

DezB, MAH will be back on the radio on Xfm from July.

stever
    Free Member

There’s an odd corner of Radio 3 Peel would have approved of, Late Junction

Del

if you want to listen ‘from beyond the grave’ R4 used to have a lot of the Home Truths stuff still available online.
    i think Tom R will do well. his show is enough his own, but as mentioned above, with obvious influences.

mushrooms
    Free Member

JP fan here and I listen to Digitally Imported radio sometimes, mostly for electric type stuff.

cheese@4p

Anyone remember his weekly column in Sounds way back? Well pervy!

Edukator
    Free Member

I listened to his shows from the early seventies to early eighties. Most of the stuff was painful on the ears but now and then something appealed that you wouldn’t hear elsewhere. I heard 99 Red Balloons on his show, ordered it from the local record shop and was more than a little cheesed off to find it was in English rather than the German version Peel had pLayed.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Yes for years, you has to listen to about 4 crap songs for one good one but well worth it.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my dad used to listen to him in the late 60s and 70s, and i listend to him as much as i could when he was still around.. was gutted when he died.

will check out some of the radio stations mentioned above, non of what i listen to at the moment competes though.

NZcol – HMHB – the light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train… one of may favourite lyrics.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my dad used to listen to him in the late 60s and 70s, and i listend to him as much as i could when he was still around.. was gutted when he died.

will check out some of the radio stations mentioned above, non of what i listen to at the moment competes though.

NZcol – HMHB – the light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train… one of may favourite lyrics.
    also enjoy a bit of plustech squeezebox…

sockpuppet

“i’m terribly sorry… i seem to be playing this at the wrong speed.”

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

“He (Peel) was a wonderful person. He was a genuinely nice person, which is rare in this business. He was a true music fan in a business where most DJs are mainly fans of themselves. I was so in awe of him when we first met. I grew up listening to him and I had so much respect for him. We played his 50th birthday party – and his 60th. I still got nervous playing in front him. He was John Peel”. David Gedge atrib.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Any old John Peel fans here?’ is closed to new replies.