Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any group policy wizards around?
  • xiphon
    Free Member

I’m trying to accomplish something via GP (copying files from network share, to each users Outlook signature directory).

Each month I shall be updating our company sig with a new link in it (for marketing reasons)

1. I’d like to delete the contents of %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\

2. I’d like to copy \\server1\Data\new monthly signature.htm to the above.

Without using a script, is there anyway I can do it via GP?

Ta!

dh
    Free Member

group policy preferences can be used to update files on client machines.

prefs

allthegear
    Free Member

If you can’t implement the GP Preferences tool above, you might want to build an .msi and use group policies to deploy that…

Rachel

Danny79
    Free Member

What are you using for a spam filter?
    We append the corperate email disclaimer to all outbound messages via our spam filter.

Cougar

What are you using for a spam filter?
    We append the corperate email disclaimer to all outbound messages via our spam filter.

‘s the way I’d do it. Considerably more painless, and it appends after the message is sent, so users can’t override it.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I messed around GPs and MSIs and found it all quite a faff to be honest. Take a look at Exclaimer- works really well and is infinitely configurable – not expensive either (depending on number of users).

Nice thing is that you can change the signature details based on the user details in AD so just have to set up a single template.

http://www.exclaimer.com/products/signature-manager/default.aspx
    http://www.exclaimer.com/products/mail-utilities/default.aspx

Worth a chat with them to see which one best fits their requirements – support is really good and they offer free trials of both products.

xiphon
    Free Member

Google Business Apps is our mail provider. Used the included Postini for a while, but felt it offered no more features than the standard GMail offering. Outlook syncs via Google’s own tool.

Outlook is the only interface people use for email, and two people also use their iPhones.

Staff nip into Gmail to pick up the occasional trapped spam (only happened once or twice so far, since last summer..)

Thanks for the suggestions. MSI is quite overkill, although I do use it for rolling out other stuff.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Pretty sure you could still use Signature Manager as it’s deployed at Outlook client level. Mail utilities is for Exchange though.

xiphon
    Free Member

No exchange – server 2008 standard/Win7 domain.

Migrated from SBS2003/XP. Just removed the SBS box from the domain the other week….

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

As I said, Sig Manager works at the outlook client level and doesn’t need exchange so that would be no problem provided you’re using Outlook 2003 or later – worth giving the free trial a go

xiphon
    Free Member

Found a solution…

Used: User Config -> Preferences -> Windows Settings -> Files

To ‘replace’ the files in the ‘Signatures’ directory.

The loaded the Outlook 2003 ADM template (from Office 2003 ORK).

Used a custom AD template ( http://www.office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/185258/ ), which adds 2 options, to specify which signature to use for “New” and “Replies”.

It adds the options under : User Config -> Admin Templates -> Classic Admin Templates -> Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 -> Tools | Options.. -> Mail Format -> Signature

Now whenever I update the ‘master’ copy on the network, it gets copied to staff PCs, and then defaulted (and they’re unable to edit).

Just what I was after 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any group policy wizards around?’ is closed to new replies.