Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Any Classic Kona experts around?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A very decent 91 or 92 vintage Cinder Cone frameset has passed into my grubby mitts, which is nice because I've benn looking for bloody long enough!

Anyroadup, I need a seatpost. It's NOT a 27.0mm because I tried one of those, so is it a 26.8?

I need a long one too, preferably a nice old one…. Any ideas?

tang
    Free Member

retrobike is your friend. is it white with splatter? i had the explosif from that era, im trying to buy it back.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm away at the minute, I shall have to joon Retrobike when I get home

it's actually a plain black one. The splatter paint was 1990.

I've got frame, P2s, Velocity stem, brake cable widget, seat clamp, and the crowning glories – XTR headset and XT sharkfin!! 🙂

I need brakes, wheels and seatpost to get it rolling as a SS….

juan
    Free Member

25.4 maybe? Do you have a vernier caliper?

ton

if it is a 26.8 i have a titec knock rated one………FOC

druidh
    Free Member

This would be a 1990 then?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Druid – yes that's no later than 1990

Juan – I've got a vernier at home. I was just idly wondering before I get chance to measure it

Ton, I might take you up on that but I'm in no rush 🙂

tang
    Free Member

that ones pretty minty!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Druidh – '89 I'd reckon because of the U brake.
    PP 26.8 as far as I remember.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have some 94 cinder cone original parts if you want to keep ot relatively old school

druidh
    Free Member

tang – Member
    that ones pretty minty!

All original parts – except the saddle – and barely used. Check the biopace cranks 😉

tang
    Free Member

my 90 explosif is still local to me occ ridden by some old chap. still got suntour xc pro/comp groupset, track two forks, my girvin flexstem and onza ski barends! i bumped into him randomly last yaer and ive not seen him since. id love to have it back. first really good feeling mtb i owned.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So, I slapped a caliper on it, and it's coming out at 26.5mm…. Maximum….

A quick search reveals there are Konas of that age with 26.6 post, and Sheldon Brown's database sort of agrees too –

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360468&sid=c6dd1a793ff05314b795e23fc7b8d0a2

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/seatpost-sizes.html#k

woodsman
    Free Member

Welcome to te fold (Cindercone and Retrobike member)!

If anyone has a spare Velocity stem 110mm centre to centre,pm me please – addy in profile.

Enjoy PP

Kuco

Yes it's a 89 Kona I know because thats when I had mine. Just about everyone who saw it asked who spilt paint on it. BTW it cost me £400 back then

Kuco

Check the biopace cranks

LOL That was the first thing I changed on mine.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Velocity stem I have is 100mm, but I think it's a shorter one off a lower model (Hahanna?) because I'm sure my first '91 Cindercone that I bought brand new had a longer one, and the sticker doesn't match the one on the Cinder Cone pic on Kona Retro's '91 catalogue. The seller did say he got the brake cable collar from a 93/94 model (It's the metal one, mine was plasic) as well, but I'm fine with that.

After some fishing mine looks like its definately a 91. The 92 had Triple Butted P2s, these are the black DB ones I had on mine. 🙂

This will be reborn as a rideable SS for use on sunny summer evenings. It's too nice and original to kill! 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

I built a ss with some old biopace cranks…not a smart move to set the chain to the shortest length only to find out your rings are oval

woodsman
    Free Member

Cool! Be interested to see a pic when you get around to it.

Same here, got a very original 95, still on it's original brake blocks, chain and BB, all in good order too, not sure it's been off road yet! All original except the stem that is! Oh well, one will turn up sooner or later.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Couple of crap pics for you –

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4495862331_af2693f3cf_b.jpg

It certainly doesn't need a respray!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4495859255_bf12f4ddab.jpg

Boxed XTR headset… 😀

woodsman
    Free Member

Looks great, and the stem does look like an early one, with the cable guide part of it. I'm sure you'll make a great build of it.

Here's my '95, almost ready!

clubber
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    I built a ss with some old biopace cranks…not a smart move to set the chain to the shortest length only to find out your rings are oval

Well actually, you can often run oval chainrings on a SS if you don't run the chain too tight or if the chainring isn't too big – think about it – the chain always covers around half of the chainring which means a fixed number of teeth so it takes the same length of chain – the main variation is in the angle up and down the chain moves due to the elliptical shape and is actually quite a small change – I have made this work on a mate's hack fixie previously so the theory definitely works.

And here's my 95 Kilauea in it's third incarnation (paint-wise), still being used 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

That looks really good PP. Although I would agree with you about the stem length it'll probably be better with the shorter stem.

IIRC my Kona had a 26.4mm seatpost. Would be best trying before buying I reckon.

Gonna do it up with white bits again??

(I did have a white SI Turbo saddle until recently..)

Keando

Here is mine after a refurb

mangoridebike

In terms of paint/stickers and stem it looks very similar to my '92 Fire Mountain that I had. The downtube sticker looks identical.

As far as I can remember Kona did every model in either a colour or in black.

one_bad_mofo

My '91 Lava Dome ran a 26.6mm post. I know because I managed to break the original!

thepodge
    Free Member

It wasn't a theoretical post, it was a been there done that post

clubber
    Free Member

I reckon that you must have been running the chain on the tight side then – like I said, it can be made to work.

mangoridebike

iirc – my fire mountain had a magic ratio of 34:16 which was perfect for where I lived at the time.

oldgit
    Free Member

Shame I just got rid of a lot of stuff from an Kona. Cantis, a stem like that but marked Joe Murray, Wheels with old old XTR hubs, the 'magic' seatpost, the hard to find rear canti cable guide and all sorts. Shame.

thepodge
    Free Member

I think mine might have been 36 16 too and yeah its on the tight side

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That looks really good PP. Although I would agree with you about the stem length it'll probably be better with the shorter stem.

IIRC my Kona had a 26.4mm seatpost. Would be best trying before buying I reckon.

I've actually made contact with a previous owner of this actual F&F through Retrobike!! He sold it with a post and had confirmed it's a 26.4mm. I've just ordered one off CRC, a 400mm inline, exactly what I wanted. 🙂 I love the internet!

Gonna do it up with white bits again??

(I did have a white SI Turbo saddle until recently..)

Err no. There was a brand new, boxed, white Turbo for sale on Saturday. I was VERY tempeted, let me tell you!

NOTE:
    It's been defiately dated as a 1992 frame and forks. You can't believe how much some people know about identifying model years! (1991s had a braze on seatclamp, 1992s didn't. That's the only difference apparently!)

I'm going to do it up as a SS with cheapish modern parts: I just need wheels and V-brakes (Cantis are death traps IMO. Never again!) I have everything else I need either in the garage or on the way. If the bit's I've been offered are decent it'll have cost me £175 for the complete bike. Certainly £200 max otherwise.

It will be ridden, not a perfect retro-bling garage queen! I'll ride it on sunny evenings only though, I don't want to ruin it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the hard to find rear canti cable guide and all sorts

I've got one of those! A 1993 metal one no less. I won't be using it or selling it though! 8)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Any Classic Kona experts around?’ is closed to new replies.