• This topic has 121 replies, 94 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • Angry/Violent walker incident. What would you have done?
  • bigthunder
    Free Member

Njee – I agree. Im not a very nice person. Thats the problem here – these idiuots do stuff like that without thinking about who they are doing it too. Anyone puts their hands on me and thats a real no no. I aint no keyboard warrior either. I also dont think being a nice person all the time solves very much.

aracer
    Free Member

Not here by any chance?

chutney13
    Free Member

the problem with your reaction, and i’m not excusing the walkers by any means, is that it concerns me who they might run into next, are they equally capable of looking after themselves?

and i wouldn’t have splashed the guy. high moral ground and all that.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

There was a time that I would have retaliated…as has been mentioned, you can imagine the negative spin. Big respect to you for commanding the moral high ground and thus perpetuating that MTBers are indeed an intelligent species.

As they reflect upon their immature actions, they will suffer as they experience social defeat 😉

joao3v16
    Free Member

Not responding makes the accuser look pathetic

I would have totally ignored them and continued on as if nothing had happened.

scruff
    Free Member

I stopped for a walker once on a narrow BW, it turned into a slanging match where he threatened to put me in the cells but he didnt have his Police warrant card , I often see him about and always am overly nice to him, it really really p155es him off.

Thing is, most walkers / horseists are really nice folk.

snakebite
    Free Member

I ALWAYS TRY TO BE NICE TO EVERYONE

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Chutney13 is exactly right.

What I would try to do is ask in a non-sarcastic, non-threatening way “what’s the problem?” then let them rant for a bit until they have got is out of their system, then ask if they know what the “rules” are (bridleway use etc), then explain what might be polite and helpful (“even though you are walking if it is easier for you to move then couldn’t you just do that?”) – obviously this will have zero impact on them at that moment for fear of losing face, but it might make them act different in the future.

If I end up getting more confrontational in situations like that I almost always feel bad after, but if I try to stay calm/happy then I don’t.

It’s also quite fun to become more calm/reasonable in inverse proportion to their anger.

However, being pushed does cast a different light on things – tricky.

(edit: clearly all this also depends on how big and ugly they are. First rule – discretion is the better part of valour.)

Speshpaul

“Elmo – Member
    I’ve had similar incidents around the Wrekin in Shropshire.”
    The wrekin is a interesting one very few rights of way for anyone, but the owner has a openly “use it and look after it” approuch to access. Now there have been some instances of bikers not really playing the game (high speed down some of the main walkers up routes on a sunday morning….its going to be busy.. come on.)
    There was a raft of walkers comlaining in the local paper a while back that something should be done. The owner replied that if “everyone” didn’t get on he’d shut the place down. Top marks i think.

rewski
    Free Member

Maybe he was splashed as a baby and you evoked some deep down emotional outburst, perhaps you should of given him a hug rather than being aggressive. Everybody hurts sometimes.

Speshpaul

Walkers blocking the path, i saw one which was a bit of an eye opener a couple of years ago. On the Mynd wide BW, there was about 4 of us going steady up hill and about 20 walkers filling the trail. we filterd to single file to the left and the walkers did the same. Expect for one. she stood right in front of us and started with “you shouldn’t be here” (yes we should) “you should give way” (yes we did)”you should have bells” WTF! its not that the situation called for use to annouce are presence to other uses. Shes all red in the face and shouty. And to be fair i’m just about to go there as well.

Well another couple from the party of walkers caught hold of her and pulled her to one side, then started on her!!!!!! “Why do you have to do this? they are doing nothing wrong.”
    Others started shaking their and apolopising. Looks like their walking group was stuck with a nutter.
    we ended up having a laugh with 19 of the group of 20.

hora
    Free Member

Heres one of mine: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hebden-wednesday-nightriders-youve-pissed-someone-off

The other was weekend before last, also in Hebden Bridge On the double-track up from the Craggs a 4×4 shot pass close to me so I hand gestured. It stopped and wheelspan back up and the driver jumped out. Circa 60 and 6ft tall. He looked like the sort of bloke who was/is probably a local character and abit ‘rough. However he was shaking and shouting and I actually had to calm him down as he looked like he was about to have a heart attack. He almost had his face in mine at one point telling me he was local and I shouldn’t be there and he paid taxes etc etc.

I can say that if I was shorter I bet he’d have gotten physical. I should also have said ‘don’t come to Manchester as its my ‘local’/your barred’ 😆

On a general note you’d have to punch me in the face before I’d react to anyone. Up to that point I’ll be calm and if need be calm someone down.

If a walker gets angry with me I’ll take shit off them. Who cares? Its no stain on my manhood. Let someone vent who cares?

OP if I was in your situation I’d have been prepared to stop and hop off/walk if need be.

Who cares? Honestly. Lifes too short to be at loggerheads on your day off on the trails.

monksie
    Free Member

“Lifes too short to be at loggerheads on your day off….”

(*)Oh Contrair, I’m going to be at Loggerheads on my day off on Friday. Some ace riding round there, Moel Famau and other stuff….

* please make allowances for the crap spelling in French and Welsh.

gran0210

Everyone has a right to self defence but it all depends on who the cops/court believe if its your word against and he has a broken nose and you don’t. Got to draw the line somewhere though.

As a cop once said to me ” don’t get yourself in trouble for a w*****r like that.

angryratio
    Free Member

It’s not like Enid Blyton land out there is it.
    Some right horrible people.

Kill them with kindness as many have already suggested.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Nah, you should have kicked water on him, a proper good splash, full boot, covering him from head to toe. Then belly laughed in his angry little face.

Missed opportunity that.

johnners
    Free Member

As a cop once said to me ” don’t get yourself in trouble for a w*****r like that.

– pretty much covers it. I don’t care who’s right or wrong. I’ve got no problem walking away from confrontation, if there’s a way to avoid wasting time talking to policemen trying to sort it out I’ll take it.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Should have still splashed him though.

DezB
    Free Member

Hope it didn’t ruin your ride.
    To get wound up by some little pillock while out on a MTB ride is not good. Unforgivable.

You done good. Apart from the splashing thing GG suggests, would’ve been a quality move that.

LoCo
    Free Member

This kind thing has only ever happened to me once, was trackstanding waiting for a chap to walk past me, he grabbed my bars and shook them violently, saying ‘don’t you think you’re a little old for that?’

I informed him that technically that his actions wcould be viewed as assault he flips and starts shouting ‘you think that’s assault I’ll show you!’ takes a swing at me I lean my head to one side so he connects his frankly rubbish haymaker onto the top of my lid, which must have hurt a fair bit ( 😆 )

He than stands there looking a bit confussed as I laugh at him he then runs off still looking confused 😀

it was on a legal right of way as well.

xterramac
    Free Member

Never really had any problems with folks on the trail, but have had more times than i can remember on the roads…………..

Highlights inc,

Being offered a punch up, “away from the road where no can see!”, which funny enough i turned down……….

A takeway thrown at us, from a car that couldnt wait for 200yards until it was safe to over take, think it was sweet n sour rice based….

A large group of blokes on those mod style scooters, swarmed us up, like a break away group being cought inside the last km, offered us a “right kickin” and such like, for what we said to there mate about 6 miles ago at the cafe? We hadden’t been to the cafe, they only had to see we weren’t ridding Italian bikes…..

Road riding is propber bob when it comes to getting grief for something you shouldn’t, leaves you feeling abit like the A-Team
    (don’t just take my word, check out some youtube footage of roadbike rage, shocking!)

Stuey01
    Free Member

The only time I’ve ever wanted to lamp someone when out on the trail it was a MTBer.
    I was going down BKB in the Hurtwood with my new to MTBing wife following behind me (she refused to go in front). I got to the bottom and she was no longer behind me, a group of whooping nobheads came flying down the trail. I overheard one of them talking about overtaking someone on the way down, so thought that must be my wife and I’ll go and find her.
    So I walked back up to find my wife off the side of the trail, off her bike crying, trembling and with a cut leg. Turns out lead whooping nobhead had shouted abuse at her and then run her off the trail, all because she is a bit slow.
    By the time I had got my wife and her bike down to the bottom said group was gone. I was **** fuming. In fact I’m **** fuming now just writing it.

What an absolute ****.

Never met an aggressive hiker. They must be about due to the prevalence of the stories on here. I find it odd that people would go out in the countryside for a walk and looking to start trouble with MTBers. I think there must be some kind of provocation going on, perceived at least.

messiah
    Free Member

The OP did good.

I always try to be non confrontational, even when being lectured and poked at by idiots. “Make sure you have a nice day now”.

Worst I have had was when a big chap swung a rucksack into my path a few years ago. As I was heading down a fantastic techy rocky doonhall I spotted fat bloke and wife coming up all red faced and pechin, my “ar**hole radar” picked up his body language so I was on alert. Where he was going to be when I passed was lovely and wide so I went for it moving as far to the side as I could… needless to say he sticks absolutely to the centre of the path, I had room but just as I am along-side he twists violently so that his rucksack skiffs my handlebars. All my effort went into staying on the bike but I did manage to shout a warning to the rider behind who had seen what happened. Next up I approach the Mrs, as I slowed I took one hand of the bars and made the “wtf” gesture, to which she silently mouthed “sorry”… so I didn’t stop or make a big deal, she had more than enough to worry about dealing with a c*nt like that all day every day.
    The rider behind me having seen what had happened took to the heather and gave the guy a wide berth and some verbal which me and angry blokes Mrs heard. As me and the other rider discussed later the best policy is to stay clear of nutters, nothing to be gained from confrontation, especially when any injury is helicopter time.
    Had he actually taken me out it would have been different but as it was I was happy leave it having learned a few things. Believe the “ar**hole radar”, if they look like nutters and are holding a line stear well clear. I don’t like going off path into the heather but in this case I should have…
    I look back and think what could I have done different and the answer is nothing… if your up in the fantastic mountains and having that bad a day that your willing to assault strangers then there really is no hope for you… is it worth telling the nutter he is a nutter at the risk of ruining your own precious day? Nah, just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

hora
    Free Member

Stuey01 – Member

I think you’d have been well within your rights.

belugabob
    Free Member

Elmo:

It is like they see a bike,determine your an illiterate thug and assume the appropriate pose

Now I wonder why they would think that? 😉

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m disappointed with the OP; I can only assume he did not have a full bladder, and/ or the walkers did not have any shoes.

hora
    Free Member

Re heading ‘downhill’ I don’t think we’ve ever had a quiet walker on the way up- they’ve all been ‘wow, your mad’ or ‘rather you than me’! etc.

😀

7hz
    Free Member

I don’t think self defense covers punching someone if you are pushed. Remember if you lamp someone, they could go down hard and really do themselves in, which is then your responsibility. Not worth it.

Shared paths are problematic IMHO if you expect to be zipping about. Remember what it feels like being a cyclist in fast traffic? That is what it feels like being a walker with fast bikes.

I am somewhat of the opinion that walkers should be treated like horses. Slow down or even stop, make sure they know you are there, say a gentle hello, give them a wide berth and a ‘good-day’, then continue on your way. If you are cycling somewhere it is busy with a lot of walkers, expect to slow down or even stop and walk, and try to pick a better place next time.

Regarding idiots – I was at the pool last Saturday, and whilst I was putting on my shoes at the pool entrance (can see the whole pool), I see the following: 2 person lane (slow lane, room just for two people to pass swimming), guy swimming up the lane, and this ‘bear’ of a guy just standing smack bang in the middle of the lane, 2 meters from the end of the lane, just looking at the chap swimming, making no attempt to get out his way! The chap swimming just swims round him, then the bear goes up to him and asks ‘did you see me?’ in a confrontational manner. Swimmer says yes, bear says something I can’t hear, obviously some threat or the like. Unbelievable! Small minded passive-aggressive twazzocks, really. They are everywhere. In order to prevent spoiling ones day, avoiding them seems the best option.

hora
    Free Member

7hz I went to our local pool and I ‘didn’t realise’ that some locals are there every day at the sametime day in day out and have their set routines.

I found out when one just ploughed into me very roughly and carried on and aimed at me again coming back. Mental. He was a retired chap. I tried to have a word but he stoned-faced me and carried on so I had a word with the Pool manager who said ‘you think thats bad, hes sworn at the female staff a number of times’. Why not ban him then?!!!!

neninja
    Free Member

I must just be lucky but I don’t seem to get these sorts of problems with walkers etc. Yes, there might be the odd militant group of ramblers who pretty much block the trail but I don’t recall ever getting into a near fisticuffs moment with any one when out of the bike.

Never had problems with horse riders either. They all seem appreciative of slowing down and a hello.

I have shouted at dog walkers previously though whose dogs are running completely out of control.

DezB
    Free Member

The only time I’ve ever wanted to lamp someone when out on the trail it was a MTBer

Me too actually.
    It was on one of the Evans “Ride It” events. We’d started off and there was a couple of walkers (old couple and their dog IIRC) on the trail. “Walkers” I called out for those behind who couldn’t see them, “Get over to the left”. Everyone slowed and moved over, except this tall *delete swear word* on a Trek, who obviously thought it was a race.
    He went barging by everyone, nearly ran over the dog, old folk had to get out of his way. “Or just barge through!” I said.
    Trektwat stops at the top of the bit of trail, turns and mouths “Effing prick” (or something) at me! Not out loud, of course.
    “You what?” I say, out loud of course… and off he sprints before I get to the spot where he stopped!
    I wonder if it was someone on here. I’ve never forgotten that Trektwat.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A***holes will usually find a justification to be a***holes somehow. As a previous poster has said, the best option is to learn to spot the body language from a distance and give them a wide berth. If confronted, stay calm and reasonable.

Just after moving down our was I was stopped by a woman in her early fifties who parked her Corsa on a bridleway and jumped out specially to chase after me on foot and enquire as to where exactly I intended to ride my bike. I replied that it was none of her business and that I’d ride my bike as I saw fit – within the letter of the law – and left it at that. I’ve ridden those same bridleways dozens of times since and I haven’t seen her again. I can only assume that she’s not local.

I did once get confronted by a guy on a footpath who told me that it “wasn’t for bikes”. I was in full agreement, for I was walking with my bike at the time, but that didn’t seem to placate him. 🙄

Elmo
    Free Member

@speshpaul

I’ve always lived local to the Wrekin and used it for recreation for years.
    But recently (last couple of years) the walkers/ramblers have become vitriolic!
    The main path up/down is 20-30 ft wide so I’m sure there’s plenty of room for everyone. But even this is a route I avoid. I’m not sure many cyclists worth their salt want to just whizz back down the main path, there’s plenty more to enjoy. But they seem intent on “spoiling” these tracks and confronting every cyclist that encounter. My cycling their is normally night riding, I try to avoid the masses but still get the “friends around the wrekin” not being very friendly.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

just pepper spray the bastard and ride off!

Garry_Lager

I’ve ridden up the wrekin twice in my life and both times got unfriendly narky comments from walkers – including one rude cahnt on Christmas day FFS. Would have liked to respond but it’s hard to dish out the witty rejoinders when you’re breathing out your aris winching up that climb.

Duggan

Never had problems with horse riders either. They all seem appreciative of slowing down and a hello.

Same here, I’ve never had a problem with any horse-riders round my local area and in fact they have all been pretty much universally cheery and polite whenever I’ve passed them or met them.

aracer
    Free Member

I am somewhat of the opinion that walkers should be treated like horses

Whip them and them make them into glue?

smoothchicken

Great restraint, not sure I could do the same. I’d be pulling up my buff into a ninja style headress and be owning them with my mini-pump pulled from my camelback like a samuri sword. 😀

GJP
    Free Member

justatheory – Member
    I really wish I could say that I would’ve reacted as you did, but I reckon I would’ve gone feral on him.

I would put myself in this camp. Obstruction, verbal abuse etc all well and good, but if someone gets physical and assaults me then it would be a different game.

I am not saying two wrongs make a right etc but if you push someone off their bike then you should not be too surprised to find that some people will not take very kindly to it.

I guess I am in the some people camp. It does not make me a bad person, just human.

jedi

+1 gjp

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Angry/Violent walker incident. What would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.