• This topic has 121 replies, 94 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Angry/Violent walker incident. What would you have done?
  • Elmo
    Free Member

I’ve had similar incidents around the Wrekin in Shropshire.
    The walkers there do seem very confrontational at times. My size, current large beard and collie dog in chase seem to change the matter.
    It is like they see a bike,determine your an illiterate thug and assume the appropriate pose. A little unfair!
    I do like defying the stereotype though. I was driving my big white van around the back lanes of cressage/kenley in Shropshire, when i saw a group of bikers coming towards me.
    The lane was too thin for them to pass. So in plenty of time I stopped and reversed back to where they could squeeze passed.
    It was such a shock it made 2 of them stop and talk.

Made me feel better anyway!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Well. If someone shoves me or my girl off our bikes Im coming out swinging.

tazzymtb

Very well done squire! far more restraint than I could show, I’m afraid I would have gone just a little bit mental.

strangely as a delicate looking little soul people don’t seem to want get aggro with me.

is a pretty unpleasant person!

Yep sounds about right, I don’t do turning the other cheek

sofatester
    Free Member

Well. If someone shoves me or my girl off our bikes Im coming out swinging.

Really? Think about that for a moment.

Oxboy
    Free Member

So Pawsey Bear and his mrs are going out swinging? 😆

cinnamon_girl

Hmmmm … I do believe there is a need for diplomacy skills and I reckon only blokes need it.

Seriously guys – you’re all far too quick to react in an aggressive manner rather than attempting to diffuse a situation.

tazzymtb

you’re all far too quick to react in an aggressive manner rather than attempting to diffuse a situation.

more than happy to talk calmly to an irate rambler and be all sweetness and light.

As soon as anyone tries to hurt me/push me off a bike etc they are going to have a very very angry taz on their hands

misterfrostie
    Free Member

You did the right thing mate. If that’d been me I reckon it’d have been 50/50 that I’d have lumped him

flockofffish
    Free Member

Just turn the other cheek and smile at them and say sorry i got you wet and then ride off into the sunset. That i find so upsets them. its just not worth the effort.
    Flock

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Hmmmm … I do believe there is a need for diplomacy skills and I reckon only blokes need it.
    Seriously guys – you’re all far too quick to react in an aggressive manner rather than attempting to diffuse a situation.

It’s the caveman in us, we can’t help it 😆

cinnamon_girl

You’re all so darn defensive. 🙄

From memory, I’ve only had ‘words’ with one walker, a female being bloomin’ awkward.

Much easier to be smiley and greet everyone on the trails. Heaven knows, we need a PR offensive.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tazzy when he gets his grrrrrrr on.

I’ve nearly thumped a few mtb’ers in my time 👿 …..not so many walkerists.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I think this was a definite case, as has been said above, that they may have thought we were kids.

Usually I do have, or consider myself to have a short fuse, and often when I read threads on here about people getting into altercations with drivers and the like I think I would flip out and level someone, just like everyone above has said. But on this occasion, well I suppose in the split second I knew I had the physical advantage, I also knew the outcome would have been very very bad, both for me getting arrested, and for him getting hospitalized.

I admit that when I “got up in his grill” so to speak I was on the edge almost foaming at the mouth, but I caught myself on quickly. He wasn’t backing down verbally, but he was clearly thinking more of it.

I’m not proud of this btw, as I probabably should have stopped once I saw them obstruct my mate, but that would have been complete capitulation to sheer ignorance.

sambob
    Free Member

I’d like to thing I’d be calm and gentle, but anything directed at mates doesn’t sit well with me. Not bothered(ish) if it’s aimed at me though.

tazzymtb

LOL at Rorshach – that behaviour is actually where the nickname came from. 😀

iridebikes
    Free Member

i like to think i would have acted with restraint, but i do have a bit of temper at times, if provoked, well done .

stew1982
    Free Member

I also like to think I’d be nice and calm…….wouldn’t want to waste energy with a wild swing, a calm and accurate shot is much better – besides I’m not fit enough to go wasting energy

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Sounds like you handled the situation very well. Chapeaux!

IME theres a big difference between posturing/reflex aggressive responses + actual violence thats at risk of escalating. Giving people who do the former chance to realise they’ve behaved stupidly + offering them an exit strategy, is way better than responding in kind. The latter is thankfully pretty rare + a different kettle of fish.

takisawa2

Should have sat them both down in the stream, watching them waddle off with wet rses would have been priceless. 🙂

You did the right thing, but I’ll bet they’ve told a different story in the Working Mens / Social Club this evening…

djglover
    Free Member

Give them a Chinese burn and then run away

thekingofsweden

Well done I have had similar experience from a particulary unpleasant short fat bald middle aged dog walker on a cycle track
    When I stopped and rode back to him after his verbal he was being a complete **** and threatened to push me off my bike if he saw me riding ‘here’ again !
    I retorted that just because he was short fat and bald don’t take it out on me and if he pushed me off my bike he would be f#*!!!!!g wearing it.
    Although to be honest ain’t worth getting killed over take the high ground ride on and be the better person

Hopefully 🙂

transapp
    Free Member

Difficult isn’t it? Say you’d resort to violence and you’re the bad man. Try to diffuse it and your a nancy boy or at worst, a victim.
    In all my years martel arts training, the following has been drummed into me, and in turn by myself when instructing. Firstly try to avoid the situation. Secondly try to get away from the situation. Thirdly, if the first two are not an option and the aggressor is already at the stage of physical assault, use whatever it takes to make sure you’ll be ok. By this I do mean physically hurt them.
    You could argue that you could have done no1, however I reckon by the time you’d stopped you were at stage 3. I’m sure I wouldn’t have been brave enough to talk them down.

charliedontsurf

Arseholes are arseholes. Nothing you can do or say will change them. Get on with a good life, leave them in their angry self righteous self appointed world of petty mediocrity…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Never experienced a walker deliberately altering their path to get in my way, not sure what I’d do. The worst I’ve experienced are people who’s faces obviously contort when you give them a cheery hello as you pass, which is just amusing. If it happened on a bridleway/multi user etc, guess I’d probably confront them and try to make them understand I’m just as entitled to be there as they are. Not sure if that’s possible in the heat of the moment against a person prepared to try and knock you off your bike. I’m not sure how you deal with people like that, but like someone says, violence will only re-enforce their prejudice.

tazzymtb

*round of applause for the charlie*

richmtb

I got up in his face as it were

Classic

Duggan

You did the right thing.

I agree with whoever made the point about many walkers confusing kids on bikes with actual mountain bikers. I do think a lot of the older more militant walkers can’t tell the difference which is why they often come across so condescending and self-righteous.

Too true about cycling gear not helping here- I know 100% that if they saw me on the street in Manchester or sat next to me on the bus or whatever they for sure would be keeping their opinions to themselves.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think shop-bought cakes are alright actually, and good value for money.

It’s a lot of work to produce anything like that, home-made, so you might as well save yourself the hassle and buy one from a shop.

Northwind

I’d have run him through with my duelling cane.

justatheory
    Free Member

I really wish I could say that I would’ve reacted as you did, but I reckon I would’ve gone feral on him.

Duggan

Good point actually- I might take a pair of white gloves with me out riding and if I ever get into a verbal argument with any walkers or trail users I will just slap them in the face with the gloves and challenge them to a dual, see what they make of that

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I agree with whoever made the point about many walkers confusing kids on bikes with actual mountain bikers. I do think a lot of the older more militant walkers can’t tell the difference which is why they often come across so condescending and self-righteous.

Now then, I think a bit more the opposite. They don’t like ‘it’ IMO. I don’t think it really matters who, what, age, demographic etc. Kids on bikes in tow with their parents might just about be acceptable to them, because the kid isn’t likely a perceived threat. Adults whizzing passed, all tooled up, are more likely to be a threat, in their minds.

brakes
    Free Member

I’d have got out my 5mm, undone the stem and brake calipers, slid out the steerer and taken ownership of him with my marzocchis.
    not really, if I were in your shoes, I’d have weed in his.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Good point actually- I might take a pair of white gloves with me out riding

so do i, but i use the power of mime to make them see the error of their ways

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of sanctimouns twaddle. If someone hits you you have the right in law to self defence. I stand by what I said. And as far as having someone push your wife off her bike and turn the other cheek? I would stand up for my wife or children and not let them get pushed around. Sometimes you have to stand up and be counted.

kevolution
    Free Member

I’d have dunked the tosser in the stream if he’d assaulted me in that manner.(acting purely in self defence, if he’s lying in the water he can’t attack me again)
    Finishing his walk wet and cold might make him think twice about doing it to someone else. It might also have sent a message to his buddy to stop them ganging up on me.
    That would have been my 1st thought in that situation. Neutralise the threat, then manage the situation.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I probabably should have stopped once I saw them obstruct my mate

I was thinking this as well and I think this is what you’re really asking. I’d have probably let them pass then questioned why they blocked the trail like that. But this is easy to say in hindsight.
    Being an enduro (motorbike) rider, where access is being reduced, poitive PR is everything.
    Mountainbikers have nothing to gain from confrontation and everything to lose.

daveb
    Free Member

I had something similar a few years ago in the Pentlands. Someone who didn’t understand Scottish right of ways law giving me and two others grief for being on the same trails as him, then he made the unfortunate threat to put his walkers stick (please note – NOT a walking stick) through any of our spokes if we went near him (we hadnt even been close and he had tried to block one of the guys I was with). I pointed out that he had actually walked in front of my friend and that he was in the wrong, he lifted his stick above the ground. I saw this as a threat and informed him that if he didnt back off not only would he not put his stick through my spokes but he would no longer be able to use it for walking unless he could guide it from his arse. One of his companions spoke to him and they walked away.

Its unfortunate when things like this happen, many walkers have a great attitude towards bikers, i have had people holding gates etc open for me throughout trails in Scotland and England but its very rubbish when you get the occasional idiot that seems to want to cause trouble (bikers can unfortunately cause issues at times as well). In the main I ignore it but sometimes they just need taken up on their attitude. You did well just to get away from this person by the sounds of it.

globalti
    Free Member

You certainly did the right thing even if your account does read a little like an 18th century travel story! Where was your sword at the time?

As a matter of interest what was the “mixed use” trail? Was it a footpath or a bridleway?

I’ve never had such an unpleasant incident. Apart from the odd rude comment the worst I can recall is some ghastly hag of a woman screeching “you’re meant to get off!” at me and my family as we rode past her walking group on a wooden bridge on a former railway line. We weren’t mean to get off; we were meant to give way to walkers as instructed by the notice at each end of the bridge.

convert

[Devil’s advocate] Mixed use trail, so that’s a trail where us cyclists should give way to walkerists or at the very least not impeed or intimidate. You on a mild down slope but about go up a steep one so presume you were carrying max potential speed to carry you up the oncoming hill. Path is “only” 5ft wide and you were going through a stream for max splash potential. Put yourself in their shoes – could your actions have seemed intimidating or at least a bit presumptuous that they should be stepping off the path or slowing down to give you room? [/Devil’s advocate]

As a cyclist I’m only too willing to get out of the way of other cyclists when I’m walking as I know what a pain it is to loose momentum but I guess not everybody feels the same. Could have been issues with other cyclists earlier had wound them up. A month or two ago I was wasting a perfectly good afternoon doing a family walk around Rutland on a similar sounding path shared between cyclist and walkers. It was so busy the tension in the air was palpable as the throngs of cyclists hell bent on travelling along at road speed were getting wound up by the walkers in their way and the walkers were all getting very frustrated and twitchy with wanting to walk next to each other and talk but constantly having to look behind them for cyclists then squashing over to get out of the way. I could easily have seen a bit of vigilante action happening on either side.

Not trying to justify their actions, just maybe trying to understand. You did the right thing by riding away without violence.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Angry/Violent walker incident. What would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.