• This topic has 121 replies, 94 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • Angry/Violent walker incident. What would you have done?
  • muddyfunster
    Free Member

So today on a local xc spin with my friend we had a little “encounter” with two walkers. I’ve read many such accounts on here and often thought ” I would’ve done this, or that” well today it was my turn.

We were riding along a (mixed use) gravel trail, the section of trail had a gentle downhill, at the bottom a small stream then a steep uphill. The trail/path was about 5ft wide at this point with no obstructions or verges on either side. Out of the corner of my eye I saw two walkers, in single file walking towards the stream. When my mate crossed the stream the walkers split up and one stepped directly in front of him. He squeezed between them, despite the walkers making a pretty obvious and deliberate attempt to stop him in his tracks.

As I approached the stream crossing I saw the closer of the two walkers side stepping along the width of the trail, trying to place himself directly in my way. So I splashed through the stream, and stopped dead, right in front of him, which was obviously his intention. He got some water on him, which he hadn’t anticipated. That’s when it all went a bit pear shaped. The first walker grabbed me and tried to shove me off the bike. Due to my surprise at this, he almost succeeded. But then I ditched the bike and stepped up to confront him, at this point I could see in his eyes he had realised he had just done a potentially very stupid thing.

I informed him that he had just assaulted me, and asked him if he thought I should reciprocate the gesture. I got up in his face as it were. He denied assaulting me, and accused me of splashing him, and claimed my friend had almost run him over. I informed the two walkers (they were both involved now) that they had deliberately obstructed us, and were out to cause trouble. I told them that they were lucky I was in control of my temper, and that someone else may well have killed them. It was obvious nothing constructive was going to come out of the conversation so I walked on, and the guy who shoved me shouted back ” you know what it is, you are just b*stards”.

I thought it was amusing and surreal that they had so completely lost the plot. So, I think by and large I did the right thing by not making the situation worse. Right?

seosamh77
    Free Member

pretty much, no point in getting in a fight if you can avoid it.

carlphillips
    Free Member

calm is always king….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes, I think so. There are some berks about.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Nah. Deck the pair of them. **** em.

martymac

you did the right thing m8, and it was indeed lucky for them that they didnt do it to a nutter.

Garry_Lager

Did well there mate I’d say. Fronted a couple of beauts without letting things get out of hand. Result.

Real result, actually, if he literally grabbed you and shoved you off your bike. Many would argue a bridge has been crossed at this point.

Markie
    Free Member

calm is always king…

+1 I think you handled it well.

What was the physical size / age difference between you and the walkers? Do you think they would have taken it further had they been noticably fitter / bigger than you?

yossarian
    Free Member

You did totally the right thing. However much he deserved a punch, you did the right thing by not doing it.

A few years back a walker sprang across a trail, totally unprovoked, and pushed my wife off her bike. She went over the bars and headfirst into a tree, cutting her neck quite badly. At the time I really, really, REALLY wanted to hurt him. I’m glad now that I didn’t (spat in his face and threw his glasses a long way into the bushes instead).

Unfortunately there are arseholes out there, don’t let their hatred infect you.

mintimperial

We were riding along a (mixed use) gravel trail

You were on a legal trail? Jeez. If I thought anyone would give even 10% of a toss I’d suggest reporting it. Don’t know who to though, I doubt the police would be interested. Local council RoW people perhaps? Stepping in front of bikes could be a habitual thing for these bellends, so maybe others have had the same thing happen.

Let’s just hope that one of them accidentally steps in front of an MXer or something one day.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Really, you’s reckon? If I was in that position and at least fancied my chance I would have smacked the biggest one… always works.

In the forest, no one will hear them scream.

I do think you handled it in the correct manner though, I’m a bit of a ‘hot head’ – some say dick! 😉

ton

things like this never seem to happen to me when i am out riding………. 😀

alexpalacefan

Yeah, not sure I would have remained so calm, good for you.

I wonder what their problem was? Mistaken identity? Previous problem with other cyclist(s)?

We should mock them with comedy supposition.

I think they were frustrated lovers, both suffering “bedroom problems” and were enraged by the sight of a virile mountain biker?

APF

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Never happens to me either Ton, I must ride round uninhabited caves or summink!

highclimber
    Free Member

Man, I git all up in his grill as it were.

FTFY

Well done for your restrained tete a tete with the cycle racist(s)!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bizarre. Why would they do this? Really don’t understand people sometimes!

singlespeedstu

You seem to have been very calm about it.

Not sure i’d have handled it with as much restraint.

ton

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Never happens to me either Ton, I must ride round uninhabited caves or summink!

mate, your hideous bike scares em away……… 😉

mccett
    Free Member

I’m sure most of the time they just see the bike and presume ‘bloody kids’ as they always seem very surprised when you stop and they are confronted by a 40 yr old with a beard. I find being overly polite confounds the shit out of them….

EDIT – unless of course they pushed me off the bike as in your case. I doubt i could show that much restraint.

ask1974
    Free Member

“asked him if I should reciprocate”. That’s classic, how very polite (although I’m sure your eyes said something different). I think this is where a GoPro makes sense. I wonder how they would have responded if you calmly informed them that (a) yes, he had assaulted you and (b) you had video evidence of deliberate obstruction and the following assault and (c) you were fed up with arseholes like him and would report the insident to the authorities.

That would be quite fun 👿

I think you did the right thing but you’ll spend the next week thinking up every better retorts you could have used. Always the way…

flow
    Free Member

Hadouken!

jools182
    Free Member

yes, best to walk away

or punch them in the throat

Garry_Lager

I’m sure most of the time they just see the bike and presume ‘bloody kids’ as they always seem very surprised when you stop and they are confronted by a 40 yr old with a beard. I find being overly polite confounds the shit out of them….

Very true that. Riding a bike drops you way, way down the ‘looks hard, him’ scale. Those walkers wouldn’t lay hands on a big / hard bloke out hiking in a million years – put him on a bike though and suddenly they fancy their chances.

MrSmith
    Free Member

We should mock them with comedy supposition.

this^ but do it to their face
    smile at them “are you O.K? “is there a problem?” ” you look upset,but it’s a lovely day” keep smiling and repeat back at them anything they say but add a question mark by the use of rising intonation.

watch them go red in the face and apoplectic with rage as you remain even calmer. say goodbye with a cheerio and “enjoy your walk” etc.

they will be fuming for days.

i had an alteration with a red sock once (not as bad as yours) only i passed him 3 times on my ride round the surrey hills and my “hello” and “mornin” got more cheerful each time. really spoiled his day.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nothing about owning with bomber or weeing in shoes? This place isn’t what it used to be.

amodicumofgnar

I’d just go straight for the law but the media would always spin it badly so the best thing is just ride away along the moral high ground.

mandog

own them with a set of…

brooess
    Free Member

Shocking. Common assault. You did right.
    Clearly he was prejudiced and thumping him would have just confirmed to him his own warped beliefs.
    I have a rule not to engage with people who are unhinged like that, you can’t tell how far they’ll go – they clearly don’t have the usual mental processes about acceptable behaviour.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

mate, your hideous bike scares em away………

Ton, I used to like you (even though we’ve never met!) 😆

flow
    Free Member

Hadouken!

Mantastic
    Free Member

The minute he grabbed me he would be picking himself up from the floor.

iainc

never had it to that level, but fully agree with

I’m sure most of the time they just see the bike and presume ‘bloody kids’ as they always seem very surprised when you stop and they are confronted by a 40 yr old

I have had numerous Sunday morning Mugdock encounters when the ‘indignant walkers’ get quite taken aback when we haul up the brakes and question the comments, and they realise that the riding group is of a similar age and demographic to themselves 🙂

edit – but then we are quite old…

transapp
    Free Member

I think you showed a remarkable restraint, something I’d not be able to do quite frankly. *keyboard warrior time* as soon as someone touched me in an aggressive manor, I’d do my best to put them on their arse. This is assuming I couldn’t get away Very easily.
    Bloody well done.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

A simple hard two handed push to the chest and a shout of “back away” would do the trick.

project
    Free Member

They where most probably local council workers ,and read what some have said on here about them.

thegman67

I find people like these walkers end up saying or doing something to the wrong person

njee20
    Free Member

Good to see the keyboard warriors are out in full tonight! Well done for not murdering him there on the spot. Your restraint is commendable.

I do think that anyone who genuinely imagines themselves beating up these people is a pretty unpleasant person!

sofatester
    Free Member

I thought it was amusing and surreal that they had so completely lost the plot. So, I think by and large I did the right thing by not making the situation worse. Right?

Right.

I do think that anyone who genuinely imagines themselves beating up these people is a pretty unpleasant person!

Well put.

thegreatape
    Free Member

This

and the guy who shoved me shouted back ” you know what it is, you are just b*stards”.

makes you the winner. By a mile.

I bet he has spent the rest of the day thinking of so many better things he could have said 🙂

Neil-F
    Free Member

I think I would have just ploughed right into him, or bunny-hopped his ass! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Angry/Violent walker incident. What would you have done?’ is closed to new replies.