• This topic has 110 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Amateurs discarding bidons
  • ugarizza
    Free Member

On my spin out today, the number of cyclists on really nice bikes made me think that with all the money washing around amateur cycling, have we got to the stage where there are reports of amateur cyclists throwing their empty bidon away mid-ride?

I’m not talking about amateur races, I mean just a casual Sunday ride, for example.

I’m not knocking it either, if anyone has done it, well why not?

Actually I might try it next time I’m out and am near other cyclists (I’ll go back and get it later, obviously)

Klunk
    Free Member

eh? what would be the point? is their mum waiting up the road with a replacement ?

joemmo
    Free Member

Even if it’s not true I’m prepared to get outraged at the hypothetical possibility that it could be a thing.

ugarizza
    Free Member

I’m thinking just for effect? Another marginal gain for the pro look? 😉

ugarizza
    Free Member

Actually, the idea of a family member or friend with a food bag is another good idea.

km79
    Free Member

What’s a bidon?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So to be clear you haven’t seen it happen, not sure if it is happening but think it might be?

ugarizza
    Free Member

Ha, it’s a water bottle.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s a waterbottle, I don’t know why the OP didn’t say water bottle, perhaps they’re French.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Mike- yes, it’s just conjecture at this stage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

seen bottle by the side of the road? Occasionally see one here or there but that would normally be down to dropping it by mistake or bouncing out of the cage

km79
    Free Member

Kryton57

I’ve seen parents teaching kids to do this at u8 and above circuit mtb races.

Inappropriate IMO.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Thanks Kryton, I thought it would be done at some level. Everything pro seems to filter through.
    I agree with you, if people are teaching their kids that, then it’s not right!

ugarizza
    Free Member

Km79, you’ve come away with a bit of French so you got something out of this:)

JoB
    Free Member

watched a rider leave two water bottles at the bottom of Ditchling Beacon before strava-ing the shit out of the climb*
    considered moving them a bit, for bantz

*hardly bothering the leaderboard

kimbers

Im just confused why is called a bidon?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Are they teaching them the proper hurling a bidon technique..?
    I bet they arent.. amateurs!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ugarizza – Member
    Thanks Kryton, I thought it would be done at some level. Everything pro seems to filter through.
    I agree with you, if people are teaching their kids that, then it’s not right!

But it’s massively different doing it in a closed circuit race where people picking them up to a road. Though please pop back when you see somebody actually doing it….

benjamins11
    Free Member

Im glad I wasn’t the only one who thought whats a bidon? Is it related to bidet i.e squirty bottle?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They’ve been throwing inner tubes away for years, probably cost about the same as a bottle.

Snipers. It’s the only way.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I hang them in trees beside the bags of dog shit.

BigJohn

There’s a triathlon around Cannock Chase every year. Water bottles (bidon-shaped) get handed out at Marquis Drive. If you grab a bottle, what are you supposed to do with it if your two cages are already occupied by empties?

rene59
    Free Member

what are you supposed to do with it if your two cages are already occupied by empties?

Exchange one of the empties for the full one? Or is that too difficult?

BigJohn

Too difficult at speed, yes. That’s why you might throw one away.

Or are you suggesting I’m hard of thinking? 😉

rene59
    Free Member

I’m no triathlete but surely there is a large bin or something you can chuck your empty into before grabbing a replacement? Those empties can then be cleaned and reused next race handed out full?

ads678

So are we talking about about closed circuit racing or littering here?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’m finding it difficult to be outraged about something that doesn’t actually seem to be happening.

benjamins11
    Free Member

‘m finding it difficult to be outraged about something that doesn’t actually seem to be happening.

Your obviously not trying hard enough.

ocrider

km79 – Member
    What’s a bidon?

It’s a fancy word to use instead of gourde

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s French. It’s meant to make you sound superior to others. It’s actually very pretentious.

MSP

There’s a triathlon around Cannock Chase every year. Water bottles (bidon-shaped) get handed out at Marquis Drive. If you grab a bottle, what are you supposed to do with it if your two cages are already occupied by empties?

Triathlons are notoriously tough for littering, instant expulsion from the race if a marshal spots you discarding bottle or gel wrapper outside a feed zone. It is a shame most other events are not half as strict.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I was disgusted at all the co2 canisters left on the road by lazy litterbug cyclists until I recently found out it’s kids whizzing Laughing gas 😳

ugarizza
    Free Member

My use of the word bidon is getting a bit of a hammering 🙂

In my defence, I thought it would be de rigeur on a cycling forum.

Oh #@#@, I’ve done it again!

crazy-legs

My local circuit race has a complete ban on throwing water bottles. Riders used to do it in the last few laps to “save weight” as they built up to get their prestigious 27th place in the sprint. Then one hit the fence, bounced back into the road and took out half a dozen riders.

Instant DQ if you’re seen throwing it no matter how “careful” you are. Start with a bottle = finish with a bottle.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What’s a bidon?

It’s what French people, professional cyclists and pricks call water bottles.

I’m assuming the OP is in one or other of the first two categories…

oldtalent
    Free Member

Im running low on bidons, where was this op so I can go & collect them?

ugarizza
    Free Member

Ha, I stand by the use of bidon and am neither French nor a pro.
    I’ll ignore the other category 🙂

I wouldn’t use the word at home, or even with the people I ride with.

But I secretly like it and have no shame about that, I just need to be more careful about where I use it 🙂

(@oldtalent – I don’t know but if I find out, they’re mine! Could be like used golf balls on a course if it takes off)

slowoldman

Same reason hat is chapeau and peloton is, er…

Anyway as for bidons, I couldn’t care less what you call them, but discarding them is littering.

DezB
    Free Member

Like this?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Amateurs discarding bidons’ is closed to new replies.