• This topic has 110 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Amateurs discarding bidons
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I said it in France, in a bike shop, trying to buy a water battle

Trafalgar?

Superficial
    Free Member

Gourde, according to Google Translate means idiot or imbecile.

Can someone page Edukator?

A hollowed out gourde can be used to carry water. E.g. if you’re a Algerian French speaking Bedouin or something.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Top work bring brexit into a thread bout waterbottles & littering.

Disappointed you missed my earlier bon mot 😐

rOcKeTdOg

Next you’ll be saying mech instead of derailleur

joemmo
    Free Member

I can’t tell if some of the words of foreign origin in this thread are placed there with a nod and a wink or just ignorance

Like ‘pretentious’ for example ..and ‘example’ being another choice.. and ‘choice’ is another one of course. Come to think of it, so is ‘course’ but perhaps not in this context. ‘Context’ definitely is. Bollocks, it’s hard not being poncy using English innit?

tenfoot

Palmares is another word that’s popped up recently. I heard Ned Boulting use it several times on the tour coverage this year.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I said it in France, in a bike shop, trying to buy a water battle
    Trafalgar?

Better off saying that in southern Spain.

molgrips
    Free Member

Palmares isn’t a recent one for goodness’ sake. None of it’s recent, it goes back to when hardly anyone was into international road cycling racing in the UK.

imnotverygood

errrr… OK
    I actually saw this happen on a Sportive on Sunday 😯
    Bloke lobbed his bidon water bottle towards some marshals yelling
    “Can you take this for me?”
    I nearly fell off laughing.

TiRed

I wasn’t keen to jetison my 1L SIS bottles in the Gran Fondo in Albi – bought especially to carry more liquid. But it looked pretty usual to discard and collect on the wheel, rather than stopping to refill. Sportives are more race and less ride though, and there are definite areas for dropping litter and bottles, where they are collected.

Frankly, you should leave nothing but tyre tracks. I never drop anything.

swamptin
    Free Member

In my defence, I thought it would be de rigeur on a cycling forum.

I mean… we discuss commuting distance in miles. We’re not into bikes at all, we just like owning Audi estates and arguing about access rights.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Exactly.

edlong
    Free Member

Then one hit the fence, bounced back into the road and took out half a dozen riders.

I would love to see a video of that. That makes me a bad person, doesn’t it?

legend
    Free Member

Does work on tarmac, so bidons are the only option open

philjunior
    Free Member

Can we not just agree that derailleur is OK, mech is OK, peleton is OK, bidon is fairly **** for nu-skool roadies that want to be regarded as knowing their oignons, and “Tour de Yorkshire” is just so jarring it hurts?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Tour de Yorkshire” is just so jarring it hurts?

Oh come on, Côte de Shibden Wall, Côte de Wincobank and the truly excellent Côte de Blubberhouses surely make it worthwhile!

aracer
    Free Member
    slowoldman

Have we done musette yet?

chakaping
    Free Member

“Derailer” is much more of an affectation than “derailleur”, search your heart – you know it to be true.

aracer
    Free Member

cent

molgrips
    Free Member

I would love to see a video of that.

Someone in the Vuelta on the front row of the peleton lobbed one right across the group and it hit another rider on the head.

jamesoz

If Roadies are ejecting there Bidons/Bottles/gourds, then trail centre riders seem to deliberately ejecting mud guards.
    Maybe trying to drop weight to get that KOM, my bike currently sports a down tube Crud Catcher that was discarded complete with fitting O Rings.
    The countryside seems to be littered with them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mudguards do fall off sometimes though. I had one fall straight off on a descent – but I had the decency to go back for it!

jamesoz

Agreed, some do fall off, but you’d know about it and I’ve never known a Down tube Guard fall off without the O Rings snapping.

moonboy
    Free Member

Sticky bidon?

finephilly
    Free Member

ironically there was a campaign in France to replace ‘le weekend’ with ‘fin de semaine’. stick that in yer bidon.

crazy-legs

But it looked pretty usual to discard and collect on the wheel, rather than stopping to refill. Sportives are more race and less ride though, and there are definite areas for dropping litter and bottles, where they are collected.

I’ve done a few Sportives in Belgium and they set their feed stations up so you can pick up everything you need, filter out via a one-way system and then a mile kilometre down the road there’s a huge net strung up on the downwind side and you just chuck wrappers etc into that. Works well, I never saw any littering outside of the marked disposal zones.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I think the main difference is that the pro’s tend to use biodegradeable bidons

That’s ok then, I take it they disintegrate within seconds of hitting the ground 😉

While we’re roadie & using stupid French word bashing, why is every Strava segment with a hill called col de (insert road name here) 😆

scud
    Free Member

While we’re roadie & using stupid French word bashing, why is every Strava segment with a hill called col de (insert road name here)

One of the joys of the opening Tour de France stages in Yorkshire a few years back was hearing the commentators saying “col de Buttertubs”!

atlaz
    Free Member

Works well, I never saw any littering outside of the marked disposal zones.

Also, most riders at the Belgian sportives aren’t selfish bastards so they tend to keep their wrappers in their pockets until the proper place to dispose of them. After a recent Ironman here, the amount of empty gel tubes or wrappers was crazy; you’d assume there must have been several hundred people within chance of the win to justify discarding their crap.

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Amateurs discarding bidons’ is closed to new replies.