• This topic has 110 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Amateurs discarding bidons
  • 13thfloormonk

I have been known to empty my bottle/s on the road before big climbs on sportives, in the knowledge that there is a feed station at the top to refill.

Karma has seen to it that on at least one occasion doing this, I had to stop halfway up for a pee anyway 😳

Kryton57

But it’s massively different doing it in a closed circuit race where people picking them up to a road. Though please pop back when you see somebody actually doing it….

Depends on the context. Kids need to be taught about littering, and also that when they are grown ups they’ll need that go go juice and mummy won’t be there to tidy after them.

Watching a u8 / u12 do it makes me cringe on the basis is disrespectful to the sport. Pros do it for reasons based on the very close margins they are competing with. 8 year olds and veterans completing a sportive are not.

Sure, if your at the point end of a race / hill climb and the loss of 500g could make a difference to your result the fine, but go and pick up your litter during your recovery.

scaredypants

I’ve seen it – rode out to watch the tour of britain a few years ago at the top of one of the new forest’s most brutal 6% hills

Couuple of lads came riding up the road in university club kit and one or two folk thought they were the leaders of the race. One of them played right up to it and jeté’d his bidon just before the sommet (where his mates were standing) 😀

Did a lovely job of it too; I reckon he’s a regular

joat

I’ve seen wannabees jettisoning bananas before the Michaelgate climb at the Lincoln GP sportive, might have been better if they’d eaten them ten minutes previously.

smell_it
    Free Member

I persisted past post 4 thinking something must happen, but no it hasn’t 😐

mrblobby
    Free Member

Having read the title I was about to ask why anyone would do this given that a decent water bottle is a fiver. But then I read the OP and it turns out no one is actually doing this 🙄

TBH I wish some in amateur racing did do this as many seem hopeless at getting their bottle back into its cage while simultaneously looking where they are going and holding their line. Frequent cause of accidents.

singlespeedstu

I once discarded a bidet after a proper messy shart.
    Does that help?

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s French. It’s meant to make you sound superior to others. It’s actually very pretentious.

Unless you’re French speaking.

TBH I wish some in amateur racing did do this as many seem hopeless at getting their bottle back into its cage while simultaneously looking where they are going and holding their line. Frequent cause of accidents

Doesn’t need to be racing. I almost got wiped out by someone JRA not long ago. He was looking down and swerved as he passed me.

jonba
    Free Member

Longer races I’ve seen feedzones and handups. Amateurs can still race 100miles.

I did once imagine a discarded bottle hitting a fictional child’s face. Disgrace, we should ban something.

atlaz
    Free Member

Longer races I’ve seen feedzones and handups. Amateurs can still race 100miles

hand ups and feed areas are common in gran fondo clubs

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

DezB – isn’t that where you have a crepe? (can’t do the French e thing but did read instructions on a different thread yesterday and thought I am never going to need that!!! How shite am I!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Top trolling!

Hat, OP, hat!

scaredypants

Hat, OP, hat!

I think it’s “house”

kayak23

Im just confused, why is it called a bidon?

Superficial
    Free Member

House á toi aussi, pantalons-des-peurs.

funkmasterp

I launch my camelback in to the bushes before epic climbs. Pfft amateurs throwing away cheap bottles.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Indoors on a turbo trainer would be quite a safe environment to launch an empty bidon into an imaginary crowd.

deadkenny
    Free Member

ugarizza – Member 
    In my defence, I thought it would be de rigeur on a cycling forum.

Technically a mountain bike forum, but few see the association with the mountain bike magazine it takes its name from 😛

MTB doesn’t seem to have a French style to it so we’re not all giving French names to parts, accessories and activities. More American maybe.

Bidons or bottles are less common outside of xc racing, and even there riders are unlikely to chuck them. Gels however, now that gets my blood boiling.

finephilly
    Free Member

Ive got quite a stash of bottles, camelbaks and tools which amateurs leave behind. keep throwing I say.

hols2
    Free Member

My use of the word bidon is getting a bit of a hammering

I assumed it was a fancy word for colostomy bag, turned out to be a very disappointing thread.

jonnyboi

MTB doesn’t seem to have a French style to it so we’re not all giving French names to parts, accessories and activities. More American maybe.

maybe we should start calling it velo tout terrain, or Le VTT?

monostereo
    Free Member

I’ve always found the whole brtis using french words for stuff when a perfectly good English word exists a bit cringe worthy TBH. Same with professional cooks who insist on their staff acknowledging them with “Oui Chef!” and the obsession with the michelin guide.

I guess it’s a cultural thing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wondering we’ll see the same thing in a few years when MTB becomes the new golf.

Right now, there are hordes of neo-roadies desperately scrabbling to show that they’re more pro than you. They grab at anything that screams “heritage”. Rapha were geniuses at spotting this. These same neo-roadies are the ones saying bidon and chapeau to each other.

What will happen if/when MTB sees the same renaissance in popularity? Will we see neo-MTBers clad in BeenBag and quoting Zak Tempest?

😆

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve always found the whole brtis using french words for stuff when a perfectly good English word exists a bit cringe worthy TBH.

yep! my skin crawls every time they use peloton on the telly.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Kind of wishing I’d just used bottle now, I hadn’t realised it carries such a stigma 😉

dufusdip
    Free Member

s’apparente à un mega troll,

MrSmith
    Free Member

yep! my skin crawls every time they use peloton on the telly.

Derailleur
    repechage
    musette
    Domestique
    Soigneur
    Grupetto
    Flamme rouge
    Echelon

Have you got a case of the Brexit hives yet?

scotroutes

Klunk – Member

I’ve always found the whole brtis using french words for stuff when a perfectly good English word exists a bit cringe worthy TBH.

yep! my skin crawls every time they use peloton on the telly.[/quote]Yeah, my mates and I were discussing this in the cafe.

What’s the perfectly good single word in English that is used for a water bottle shaped to fit into a cage for fitment to a bicycle?

jonnyboi

Bloody tour OF Britain missed le opportunity

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s the perfectly good single word in English that is used for a water bottle shaped to fit into a cage for fitment to a bicycle?

Bottle

MrSmith
    Free Member

I can’t tell if some of the words of foreign origin in this thread are placed there with a nod and a wink or just ignorance. 🙄

matt_outandabout

Doffs casquette to OP. 😉

hols2
    Free Member

From Wikipedia

First attested in English in the 14th century, the word bottle derives from Old French boteille, which comes from vulgar Latin butticula, itself from late Latin buttis meaning “cask”, which is perhaps the latinisation of the Greek ??????? (bouttis), “vessel”

smiffy

It’s a waterbottle, I don’t know why the OP didn’t say water bottle, perhaps they’re French.

I thought it was french, until I said it in France, in a bike shop, trying to buy a water battle.

The shopkeeper was mystified until I pointed at the space in the bottle cage of a bike on display and he suddenly understood what i was after, saying “Ah, Gourde!”.

jonnyboi

Decathlon France thinks it’s a Bidon

plus ça change

Superficial
    Free Member

Surely cycling has just adopted words into the lingo? Do those who scoff at French words similarly dislike the words huck / booter / Stoke* / rad etc which have come across the pond?

Isn’t it just a mild form of xenophobia? How many of the people who take offence to ‘bidon’ also voted leave?

Sincerely, a pretentious wannabe multicultural remainer.

*my phone automatically capitalizes Stoke, equating the emotion with the place. Which tickles me every time.

Ps what is the English for echelon?

bigblackshed

Ps what is the English for echelon?

With questions like that you’re just a rank outsider.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Isn’t it just a mild form of xenophobia? How many of the people who take offence to ‘bidon’ also voted leave?

Top work bring brexit into a thread bout waterbottles & littering.

molgrips
    Free Member

The shopkeeper was mystified until I pointed at the space in the bottle cage of a bike on display and he suddenly understood what i was after, saying “Ah, Gourde!”.

Gourde, according to Google Translate means idiot or imbecile.

Can someone page Edukator?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon for the next week could all you roadies take a bottle out and motion to throw it every time you see another roadie 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Amateurs discarding bidons’ is closed to new replies.