Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Am I about to die?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Went for a 90 min ride, fairly flat out, with my new Heart Rate monitor on today. Apparently my average Heart Rate was 173, and my max should be about 185!! This sounds worryingly high, am I about to keel over on my next ride, or do these figures resemble the norm??? I’m 35.

Resting heart rate with same device is 63bpm….

simondbarnes

Yes

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I find the 220 take away your age thing can be quite a bit off. Both my parents and myself have higher than expected maximums. Try doing a max heart rate test and find out what it really is 😛

Tbh, for a 90 minute hard ride that’s probably not unreasonable.

andrewh
    Free Member

Sounds about right.
    25 mile time-trial in about an hour for me is a steadyish 174bpm. Would expect it to flucuate a lot more on an MTB

stratobiker
    Free Member

Dunno, but….

A resting of 63bpm is quite high for a cyclist.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I didn’t think 63 was that bad! Just started riding again after along time out however, wouldn’t class myself as a cyclist just yet :-). My average heartrate was taken sitting infront of the box, so hopefully if might be a bit slower in the morning.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

63 resting is well below average.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

63 BPM is fine and if you have just got back in the saddle then 173 is fine. Infact, I play hockey to high level and ride a bit and when I am out on the bike I hit 170+ all the time and have not died. Resting heart rate for me is 60 so you are fine!

headfirst
    Free Member

Yep, below 70 is fine

br
    Free Member

Had you set it with your age first?

glenh
    Free Member

Resting HR below 90 is ‘normal’.

Below 60 is abnormal (bradycardia), although common in endurance athletes.

p.s. If I was going flat out for 1.5 hours I’d expect to average over 170bpm. Nothing to be concerned about if you were pushing yourself.

honourablegeorge

If you do die, can I have your bike?

elaineanne
    Free Member

do you have to have a heart-rate monitor ? if you dont have one ..you wont have to be worried ! 😉
    all these gadgets scare the pants of people…thats why i dont have gadgets like that…..i dont want to know….when im ready to keel over my body will tell me within an instant and thats it…. i dont want to be worried about numbers i just wana ride and have fun….not being distracted by numbers on a gadget that possibly will be lying to me ! 😉 :mrgreen:

paulosoxo
    Free Member

stratobiker – Member

Dunno, but….

A resting of 63bpm is quite high for a cyclist.

Nonsense!

tpbiker
    Free Member

If you do die, can I have your bike?

If you bury me where you find me then yeah, you are welcome to it…

I read 72 was average for a 35 yearold, but then there are a lot of fat lazy b*s****s about which probably skews things in my favour! And yeas, I did set it with my age!

Thanks for the responses guys, will sleep easier tonight 🙂

bwaarp
    Free Member

As long as youre not getting medical tachycardia, where in this is your heart rate for periods of time whilst resting (eg sleeping) then no. Your just a bit unfit 😛

Ease up on the mince pies and do some more rides. Maybe if youre getting to that age have your doctor give you the once over to check for heart disease risk factors. Seriously though a resting heart rate of 63 is fine and 173 sounds normal for strenuous exercise.

adey205
    Free Member

i’m 47 with a resting rate of 44, i’d worry. and i’m 16 1/2 stone too 🙄

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Am I about to die?’ is closed to new replies.