Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Alternatives to Orange Segment
  • bowglie

I’ve finally decided that my recently purchased steel hardtail isn’t for me – my brain really likes the idea (& I like the look of it), but the 55 year old body has other ideas. So, I’ve started looking around for a shortish travel full sus. Ideally, I’d like something with around 100 rear, 120 front suspension, modern geometry and low maintenance i.e. single pivot, normal threaded bottom bracket etc.

I’ve had a couple of demo rides of an Orange Segment, and like the way it handled – perhaps not as ‘perky’ uphill as some full sus bikes I’ve ridden, but suspect that might have been down to heavy boggo wheelset and HR2 tyres front & rear. I also really like the simplicity of the single pivot frame design for cleaning and maintenance…..But, jeez what noisy bike. Reminded me of my old Orange Five with its cables rattling in the swing arm – I hadn’t appreciated how nice it is to have a quiet full sus bike. To get a Segment, I’d probably have to sell both my Solaris and my current full sus bike, and I’ve got a feeling the clattering racket of the Segment would hack me off.

(Oh dear, first world problems eh?!)

Are there any 29er single pivot alternatives out there?

survivor

I’ve got the new segment in XL and have managed to silence it quite well by securing the cables tightly down next to the shock with a bit of cut tubing wrapped around the cable then cable tied to the mounts(before this the cables were loose on the mounts). I’ve then used some of those fibrax spiral cable/frame protector things on the cables at the head tube. This where the majority of the noise comes from as the cables would slap off the frame and echo throughout it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like you need an Orange Segment.

Can’t think of any other single pivot frames, but if you’re more flexible I’d suggest getting a demo on a Cotic FlareMAX and maybe a Transition Smuggler.

wl
    Free Member

Slightly more travel than you’re after but defo worth taking a look at Orange’s new Stage 5 29er. Just demoed one and it’s great – best climber I’ve ever ridden and very capable downhill. Single pivot too, obviously. One I tried weighed in around 31lb – not bad for a bomb-proof 29er.

bungalistic
    Free Member

wl where did you demo the stage 5 at I’d like to try one out too

gilesmartin81

If you are planning on selling your Solaris, I may be interested. I have been considering a steel 29er

wl
    Free Member

Bungalistic – From the factory, I’m local. Not sure if they’re in the shops yet to demo, but it’s worth the wait. Blazing Saddles in Hebden worth a call if you live anywhere near. The bike was great. Personally, I might end up going for a standard Five just for the ‘compromise’ wheel size. If I was a racer or Strava man, Stage would probably be perfect.

bowglie

Giles, ok, I’ll drop you a line before I list it on here.

Thanks for suggestions so far. Know it’s not single pivot, but I’m going to have to get a demo of a Flare MAX!

Have just got back in from another brief ride of a Segment, and think I’ve ruled it out, as the front end felt a bit too low for me – and I would want to go fitting high rise bars and end up without enough weight on the front wheels. A couple of years ago, it wouldn’t have been a problem – but after surgery on my shoulder, I’ve ended up with more specific fit requirements. (Also have an Enduro 29er, which I find really comfortable fit wise – good fun for visits to the Peak etc., but not exactly the bike for pootling around our local muddy forest trails)

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

The new Swarfe might be of interest

Spotted: Swarf Cycles Prototype

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

The new Swarfe might be of interest

Spotted: Swarf Cycles Prototype

bowglie

ooohh, eh?! That Swarfe looks very nice in the petrol blue – liking the geometry figures and suspension layout too:)

bungalistic
    Free Member

Cheers wl I live in the Lakes so I’ll just wait until the demo fleets arrive in the shop that sell em.

Bowglie worth trying out the Flare Max it’s a really nice bike and Sam is doing plenty of demo days around the country that he should be near you soon. The Smuggler is also really nice I used to own one.

gilesmartin81

Excelent cheers Bowglie. good luck with the search.

rickon
    Free Member

Fall Line Cycles in Peebles have an Orange demo day this weekend – if you fancy a Glentress or Inners day out on some nice bikes 🙂

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Oh and this

OLD Murmur 29 OLD

rOcKeTdOg

Do SC still do the superlight? Quiet single pivot delights

rickon
    Free Member

What no one has said is…. Orange bikes don’t really need to be noisy. I’ve had three of them, and all been quiet, as long as you route the hoses properly – which is very simple to do – then they’ll be quiet.

They’re noisy if you have the hose all floppy in the swingarm, and no one wants a floppy hose.

wiggles
    Free Member

Whyte T-129?

Not single pivot but has lifetime bearing warranty so maintenance costs are low.

Or same applies for santa-cruz tallboy if you want something posher/carbon

tall_martin

I’ve got a segment. It’s great.

It didn’t rattle, everything is zipped firmly.

The front is too low for me, do I’ve just installed a longer air shaft to increase the front travel to 140. I haven’t tried it properly yet.

But is a great bike 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

They’re noisy if you have the hose all floppy in the swingarm, and no one wants a floppy hose.

My 5 made more noise from stuff hitting the down tube at speed

mansonsoul
    Free Member

The Starling Murmur might be worth a look: a little more travel, but silent, steel single pivot loveliness…

bowglie

Love the look of the Starling Murmur, but a bit more suspension travel than I’m looking for. Would like a bit of a contrast to my Enduro 29. I think SC are phasing out their all single pivot bikes (?). My OH had a Superlight 29 (frame is currently listed for sale on here) – I had a quick ride of it, but it was a bit too small and XC for my taste.

phutphutend

Starling Murmur can run a 200x50mm shock for 120mm travel. I ran the prototype like that for a while and it ran great…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Orange Segment’ is closed to new replies.