Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 10th gear – lost it and would like it back
  • walowiz

I’m sure this should be easy – but I cannot get 10th gear to always be available on my Prophet.

It’s a 1×10 setup, all shimano if that makes any difference.

Had it setup ok after building the bike up, but 10th gear has never been available for long.

So what have I done, cleaned the drive train thoroughly and adjusted the higher (or is it lower) limit screw, the result is that it now it shifts constantly between 9th and 10th gear.

Ideally I don’t want to start indexing the gears from scratch – again, but if that is the recommendation from the STW gurus then I will, but thought there must be a quick easy fix ?

For some reason I found indexing the gears first time round quite a PITA, so have been reluctant to do it all again and bugger it up completely.

soobalias
    Free Member

do it properly, from scratch.

undo the cable and make sure you can get full range from the mech, you may have bent the mech or hanger…

oldnpastit

Is the cable routed onto the rear mech properly? Check the Shimano docs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robhughes
    Free Member

Re-do the whole lot..
    Is so easy to do and you will know you have it right.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I suspect the cable just need tensioning. But as above do it properly, there is a great guide on the park tool website.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment#article-section-1

walowiz

Thanks all.

Cable is routed correctly. All other gears work as they should.

Will release the gear cable and re index the gears from scratch.

Thanks for the park tool link, will read that and will post back here after I’ve done it.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Definitely check mech hanger for straightness too. And while you have the cable undone hold the end and then change gear on the shifter a few times, if there is any friction in the cable then stick some new ones on.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Are you sure that the B tension screw is set correctly . If the mech is not quite far enough away from the casette it can rub the bigest sprocket which can stop it going in . I could be totally wrong but not sure whether you class 10th gear as bigest sprocket or smallest . If smallest then ignore me .

Andy-R

I was assuming 10th to mean smallest, so disconnect the cable and check that you can get it then – if not, adjust the high stop out a little.

soobalias
    Free Member

^ and be glad that rapid rise mechs faded into obscurity

(well they did in my world)

soulrider
    Free Member

Have you hit it repeatedly with a hammer???

nickfrog
    Free Member

LOL

cynic-al
    Free Member

soobalias – Member

^ and be glad that rapid rise mechs faded into obscurity

Shirley this is one scenario where it would be a benefit…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘10th gear – lost it and would like it back’ is closed to new replies.