Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Alps shopping list
  • alexonabike

Off to the Alps for the first time (Verbier) in August and need to get my bike and gear sorted.

Bike:
    Cove Huster (Float rp3 4.3")
    Pike coil
    Hope Pro-2 with mavic 719
    2.35 kenda tyres (DTC)
    180mm Juicy 7's

Anything I need to change? Thinking of going Maxxis HR super tacky?
    Going to get the fork serviced and maybe the shock.

Armour:
    Full face – which one for under £100?
    How much armour? I currently only own some leg armour that I NEVER use in the uk as its bloody uncomfortable to pedal in! Spine protector? Pressure suit?

Anything else I need to know?

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Think about bigger rotors / more powerful brakes, 661 full face helmets are well regarded, and go with at least knee protection like 661 kyle straits etc but look at upper body /spine protection if doing more DH stuff and elbow pads or pressure suit.

Super tacky HR are a great choice go tubeless or run thick DH tubes.

RealMan
    Free Member

As always with full face helmets, I think its always best to try several on, and then get the best fitting one.

Just because you are going somewhere different, doesn't mean you will be riding any differently, so don't go overboard with armour and new stuff.

Brake pads.

dasnut
    Free Member

Just because you are going somewhere different, doesn't mean you will be riding any differently, so don't go overboard with armour and new stuff.

yes you will. the descents are longer and you will naturally go faster, especially as your confidence increases.
    Also, if you aren't going to ride any differently, why go?

wear as much armour as you want, a small spill on a dusty fireroad full of marbles at 30mph on the first day taking most of your skin with it is likely to ruin a holiday…..

(btw ventoux is not in the alps)

coogan
    Free Member

You doing full on DH or a mix or just XC?

MRanger156
    Free Member

Dual ply HR or Minions – super tacky on the front.
    Depending on how hard your going to hit the trails I'd say full face, knee/legs, elbows, bum and a spine protector.
    Goggles – so much better than sunglasses if your using the lifts.
    Brake pads
    Big rotors – 180mm ok tbh
    Good grips – no arm pump

llama

brake pads, mech hanger, mech, power link, tubes

If you tend to drag the brakes, then _maybe_ get a brake service/bleed, maybe if they are old and/or well used, and then _maybe_ a bigger rotor on the front. Don't buy some new 'more powerful' brakes, j7s are more than enough.

The pads are still going to be uncomfortable in Switzerland, but take them and then you have the option to ride with or not. Don't bother with a full face and pressure suit unless you are going to be doing nothing but full on man made DH, in which case you would probably already own them.

MRanger156
    Free Member

If your using the lifts take a full face lid – £60ish to save your face – money well spent.

llama

yes you will. the descents are longer and you will naturally go faster, especially as your confidence increases.
    Also, if you aren't going to ride any differently, why go?

When I've been I've really never ridden any faster as I do at home. Of course its more descending, but apart from that, no riding differently, only the same slow speed 🙂

The last thing you want is to feel you need to ride features that you would not ride at home, and that because you are armoured up it will be OK.

alexonabike

I don't normal ride DH, I have never been on an uplift for example.

This is a trip being run with about 7 mates who are a mix of riders from mainly XC trail riders like me through to a full factory sponsored DH rider. We will be doing uplift almost exclusively and gravity assisted trails, but I would like to try some of the long epic rides that I have heard about in the area.

Yes, I will be out of my comfort zone but that's what I am most looking forward to! Plus, who doesn't like going down!

mk1fan
    Free Member

Riden a Hustler in the Alps for the last few years. Has Pike Dual Airs up front and similar sized rims. Have riden XC/AM/FR/DH trails on it without issue.

Full face helmet not a necessity.

185mm Avids front and rear will be fine. Give them a fresh bleed using 5.1 DOT fluid before you go and they'll be fine – I run 185 / 160mm set up with braided hoses and I'm the wrong side of 16-stone in my kit.

Pads are worth it – I have knee, shin, shorts, elbow and forearm for the XC / AM stuff. For DH I add a full face and pressure suit / back protector. But then again that's what I wear anyway.

Tyres – High Rollers are the benchmark in the Alps – Super Tacky up front and 60a out back. 2.35 minimum size. Alot of people like to run a Super Tacky Minion up front. All with DH carcasses – eith dual or single ply. Will give you plenty of grip. Again, I run these anyway.

Spare brake pads are a must take at least four spare sets (2 front, 2 back).

Most spares are available but bear in mind that the pound has tanked and there is a premium in Alpine stores.

alexonabike

Nice one mk1fan, thanks for the advice.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Another vote for bleeding your brakes before you go. If it was me, id think of a 200mm rotor to use for the holiday, you cant ever have enough braking power IMO.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

super tacky minions or high rollers in reasonable width.

661 Full Comp full face, if it fits, older colours are usually 40 quid from CRC.

I actually ran a bigger (203mm) disc on the rear with the theory that on long steep descents you use the rear more so its more prone to overheating (rather than going bigger for absolute stopping power).

You are likely to ride faster, longer and harder downhill than you ever have in the UK and will get quicker as you acclimatise to it.

I've been to morzine 6 consecutive years. Year 1 I was on a kona hardtail with 50mm travel elastomer forks, and an XC lid. Had the odd spill and off, as a result of which I slowly acquired kit until by year 6…

take your pads if you have them. A big camelbak with 3L bladder makes a pretty good back protector. As others have said a couple of spares (mech hanger etc) will offer piece of mind when your miles away and the worst happens.

jam-bo

661 full face helmets are well regarded

only by those who can't afford a troy lee…

joolsburger
    Free Member

For a first time trip take what you normally ride in +

Some spare brake pads 1 set should be fine worth having them bled if you haven't for a while my rotors turned blue last time!
    Some shin/knee pads (not for falling off but because rocks ping up and hit you in the shins which bloody hurts!)
    You could go for bigger tyres or failing that just use thicker tubes as you may well get pinch flats otherwise, take a good pump too.
    Take a good puncture kit and a number of spare tubes.
    A first aid kit especially stuff to deal with gravel rash dettol and stuff.
    Have good travel insurance, very good, check it for MTB stuff.

The high mountains are brilliant but only a numbskull would go off there and try and ride beyond their limits, wear what you always wear, ride what you usually ride bike wise and have fun.

Injuries I've seen are mostly gravel rash and broken wrists, collarbones and ankles.

You'll love it.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Arnica cream and plenty of Ibuprofen 🙂 Also, if you can get a powerball or similar spend plenty of time increasing your wrist and forearm strength.

edit: Numbskull here. Terrain in Les Arcs was vastly different to what I normally ride. Crashed a lot, still smiling..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

get everything you need weel in advance and give it a try out. Surprising how well fitting gloves, armour etc. can become agonising after a few days of extended gravity duties.

Suncream and waterproofs depending on your luck.

I never had much luck with juicys in the alps. Your's may vary.

nickegg
    Free Member

We just took a load of spare brake pads…which we didn't even need!

I didn't once think a full-face was neccesary and we just used armour we already had (Knees and arm/elbows).

The week was amazing and i truly felt i pushed myself everyday in regards to riding more technical stuff than i ever had before.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I think a lot depends on your riding. First year I went I didn't think I needed a full face, until I crashed, landed on my face and cut myself! From now on I wouldn't ride in the alps without being padded up and a full face, but that's because I do ride harder and quicker than I do in the UK, especially after a week or riding EVERY day! I would say it's worth spending the money.
    Enjoy, jealous since I'm not going this year (first year not going too).

juan
    Free Member

Just new tyres a service of the brakes and shin/knee pads.
    Then if you're a DH boy just ride your DH kit…
    For the tyres, if you're more of a all day long ride a pair of fat albert with the front in soft compound will be enough. If not, you can run 2 minion front (super tacky on the front and 60a on th rear), or a super tacky HR on the front and a larsen/cross mark on the rear (LUST or dual ply)

ianpinder
    Free Member

Tires, you want super tacky on the front and 60a on the rear, I got through a rear tire in 2 days because I left the super tacky on the back.

If your only riding dwnhill then you want dh tubes and tires, if your riding around then you want dh tires and xc tubes.

Take pads and def a full face, I wear gloves knee shin pads and a full face. this year I might take a suit.

Swap your front rotor for a bigger rotor, your rear one is fine bleed yur brakes before you go to.

Take spare tires with you, they are about 25 quid from crc and about 50 euro there.

Make sure your wheels are true and well tensioned

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

Hi Alex
    I've ridden my Hustler in Verbier and you will be fine on it. Fork, wheels, brakes and tyres will be fine too.

I would definately recommend

2 sets Spare brake pads ( organic preferably )
    Change the brake fluid before you go and take a bleed kit
    spare mech hanger
    spare tubes
    full finger gloves
    cheap waterproofs you don't mind crashing in
    "flat" pedals – i use the DX SPD's with the resin cage
    minimum of knee and elbow armour.
    make sure you can strap your armour to your pack for the climbs

things to consider
    shorter stem than you would normally ride in UK ( i went down 20mm )
    spare set of tyres – most spares are expensive in the Alps.
    borrow some bigger rotors for the front and back if possible
    sun creme, sunglasses , first aid kit and good insurance

Tips for Verbier
    Take your passport when you buy your lift pass
    lots of the best trails involve riding some up to get to them so your bike has to be a comprimise.
    wear your armour when riding home after drinking when the lifts shut !

Joolsburger is right…. you'll love Verbier.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 Steri Strips 💡

juan
    Free Member

I don't get the spare being more expensive…
    Last time I looked, my LBS was cheaper than most RPP in the UK.
    IMHO you'll be fine with just shin and knee pads to protect you from flying rocks. Dainese are the top noch and they are very good to pedal with.

MSP

Don't forget some decent holiday insurance that covers mountain rescue, snowcard and others give the apropriate cover.

Just in case like, not trying to jinx you.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Juan, That's because the Pound has tanked against the Euro. The £9 beers in the Budha Bar in Morzine are going to be a luxury this year!!

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

not sure the beers are quite 9 quid.. 5-6 euros for a pint perhaps.. or just adopt the local style and get a demi.

Your bike sounds just fine – bigger tyres perhaps – knee and arm pads are optional as is the full face – I don't bother with any of the above if I'm just riding along with lift assistance. but do bother if I'm hitting any dh courses etc.

Bumhands
    Free Member

Trail Addiction checklist looks spot on:

http://www.trailaddiction.com/checklist.php

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Alps shopping list’ is closed to new replies.