Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Alfine advise please
  • mostlyharmless
    Free Member

I’m intending to set up a Roadrat with an Alfine hub for commuting duty. What do I need to know? Does it come with a shifter or do I need that separately? Will it work with a Paul’s Thumbie? I see various fitting kits with different washers – does the kit come with what I need to install the hub in the frame? Any other hints, tips or pitfalls to know about?

forge197
    Free Member

The Alfine Hub is just that a Hub, you then need a fixing kit that comes with all the bits for different drop outs, and it needs a Alfine shifter don’t think it will work with other shifters and that is all separate.

Mine is great on relaxed rides, Bridleways, Forest Road and Roads, I don’t find it quite so good on singletrack.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I gather the cable pull of the Alfine is different, so a thumb shifter wont work.

If that wont do, cos you’re a drop/tri bar user or whatever, there is this Alfine/Nexus specific bar end shifter from Jtek

geoffj

Nexus twist grip shifter also works.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nexus twist grip shifter also works.

You are correct, but not much use on a drop bar.

If you buy the Alfine fitting kit SMS500A then this does all dropout types. All you need then is a sprocket. Alfine ones come in 18 or 20 tooth but you can also use Nexus ones which run from 16 to 23 teeth.

geoffj

You are correct, but not much use on a drop bar.

The OP said nowt about drop bars and the last time I looked, you could fit flat and drops to a RR.

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

I’m planning to use flat bars. I have one of the old forge thumbies on another bike and use it on the friction setting not the indexed setting. It uses the Shimano bar end shifter. Anyone with an Alfine hub got an idea how much cable I need to pull to cover the range?

So using an 18 tooth rear I’d need a pretty big front cog then will I? I’ve used a 43T front with a 16T rear on a Rohloff set up (29er) and that is slightly undergeard.

geoffj

I’ve got a 16T Nexus sprocket on one of my Alfines. Its the same quality as the Alfine 18 and 20t ones I also have.

brant
    Free Member

btw – I asked the mechanics at The Hub in Glentress about their experiences with Alfines on their Genesis IO’s.

No problems whatsoever. Ever. Apparently.

Cool eh?

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Same as the guys at Bothy Bikes- highly recommended and mine’s great (although I’m about to run tubeless on the rear as I pinch puncture much more often).

Not sure about gears but I’m running 32/20 on an MTB and obviously it’s perfect for going UP the hills around Central Scotland. Look like a right t1t coming down though. I would be going for around a 44t if you have an 18t sprocket but obviosuly I don’t know your commute. I sometimes commute on mine and I have to spin a lot but it’s pretty sweet.

As far as shifter goes, I think you’re giving yourself a whole load of hassle – apart from the “rapid-rise” setup, the Alfine shifter is fine and not that much more (at least mine was incredibly cheap around 8 months ago).

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

Cheers to all for the advise 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

I know people have tried friction thumb shifters and not got good results from them with Alfine hubs. I would stick to a dedicated shifter and avoid the heartache.

lardman
    Free Member

I run my hardtail with a 36 front and 18 rear, and it great for most flat and undulating terrain, but on the South Downs where i ride, there are not enough gear inches for my fat arse. I’d say a 20tooth rear, and/or 34 front is a must.

Other than that, the bits that came with my hub worked for my frame a treat, and the Alfine trigger shifter is just fine. A little clunky compared to XT level, but works fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Alfine advise please’ is closed to new replies.