Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Advice re commuting/road bike please
  • Woody
    Free Member

Seriously considering commuting (at least some of the time} this summer and realised I haven't a clue as to what works best. My commute to work will consist of a mainly uphill/flat mix of between 10 and 12 miles depending on whether I take the long slow drag or the shortest route which has a pretty horrendous climb. Some road but mostly C2C type gravel paths.

Should I be looking at touring/crosser or would I be as well sticking different tyres on an mtb. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another bike !! 🙄

Any advice and experiences welcome. Cheers

Bregante

tbh, before splashing out on a new bike straight off, I'd think about sticking some slicks on my MTB first to see how you get on. If you stick to it, then you can go all out on a commuter. I sold my singlespeed road bike last year when I moved workplace, intending to get a geared road bike instead. I broke my wrist and have just started back at work after a few months off. For the time being I've stuck some 2.3 panaracer uff'da slicks on (£15 at Merlin) on my 30lbs Rocky Ridge and I'm loving the more relaxed commute at the mo. No doubt come the summer the credit card will be twitching – but I may hold on until my company's next CTW window in October!

allankelly

Generalisation inviting howls of abuse: Touring bikes are comfortable and not very exciting. Cross bikes are uncomfortable (they are built with huge chainstays for rigidity in 1-hour races) and can be dead exciting.

But if you're "thinking of commuting" then skinnys on your MTB is the first stop. I recommend Conti Sport Contact 26". That's how I started anyway.

al.

druidh
    Free Member

Buy my Kona Sutra

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I'd try on your mtb with the conti tyres. I use a modified MTB for commuting for comfort. I only go up to about 6 miles on it tho

Woody
    Free Member

TJ – problem is that my only 'lightish weight' geared mtb is a Tomac Revolver full sus! having said that I used to commute from Crystal Palace to Tower Bridge on a Marin Mount Vision with slicks in '99 😯

Druidh – tempting but probably outside my price range for a 'first' commuter but you are welcome to PM me details. email in profile

v10 with dorados, 38 tooth front cog and super tackys.

samuri
    Free Member

I'd say a cross bike myself. They can be extremely comfortable, get some 35 mm tyres, find one thats a little more forgiving than most (plenty of steel ones out there), fit a more relaxed stem and bars and away you go.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Just buy a Halfords special, My mate has a subway, spot-on for what it is.

djglover
    Free Member

I've found a light tourer (condor fratello) a perfect year round fast commuter bike. Planning lejog on it too in may, superb bike

forge197
    Free Member

I'll be using Conti Sport on my MTB to see how I get on before buying a specific bike.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

One thing that has surprised me is the weight of a most tourers, which to my mind makes the difference between that and road tyres on an mtb less significant.

I still really fancy something like a Kaffenback or an alfin'ed Roadrat eventually, especially if I can get one on a cyclt to work scheme.

gtkid
    Free Member

I'm selling a flat bar giant fcr3 in the classifieds, size large, triple chainset etc £165 posted or £150 collected.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer gtkid, I would have been interested in that but I've just come home from work and I guess it's sold by now.

kimbers

i couldnt imagine using anything other than my lovely steel rigid lava dome, with slicks on

dont care if a proper road bike would be faster i can just mess around on my way home – steps kerbs and stuff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Advice re commuting/road bike please’ is closed to new replies.