Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Accidental damage + home insurance
  • Superficial
    Free Member

It always seems so wrong to take a hacksaw to your brand new forks. To cut a very long story short, my friend might have accidentally cut his steerer tube too short.

Given that this accidental damage occurred in his garage, is there a possibility it would be covered on home insurance? In theory I don’t really see a problem with it, but I’ve never heard of anyone else doing the same.

P.S. I have told him he’s an idiot, several times and laughed in his face. So you don’t have to (don’t want to risk upsetting my mate, you see).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

how short? nice forks?

superdan

your “mate”?

Superficial
    Free Member

Yep, brand new Revelations.

The cut was started in the wrong place, at ~190mm instead of 200mm and only about 0.5mm into the steerer before my friend realised his mistake. In my head I know it’s very unlikely to cause problems but it’s a peace of mind thing.

MarkyG82

I doubt they will accept it as a claim. If hes lucky and they do then he’ll still have to pay the exess (sp?). If the steerer is usable to someone then hes better off selling and using the cash towards some other forks. SH or new is his choice.

Edit:

Just read your last post after I finished typing. he could try a low profile headset maybe? Or do the same with his stem?

richmars

Hard to see how this comes into even the loosest definition of an accident.
    It not like spilling coffee in the hi-fi is it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

0.5 mm scratch 10 mm from the top of the stanchion? don’t even worry about it. Its not even a very stressed part of it

snowpaul
    Free Member

I agree with TJ – dont stress – I have seen worse grooves made by older KIng headsets….

paul

andyl
    Free Member

TJ I hope it’s not the stanchion you cut when fitting forks 😉

to the OP – it will be fine.

The cut will be just below where the upper stem clamp bolt is (10 + 3 = 13mm below top of stem). tbh I prefer using a small spacer above my stem anyway so if he has a few for under the stem maybe swap a small one – eg 5mm above the stem which will make sure the cut is even higher up (10 + 3 – 5 = 8mm below top of stem)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TJ I hope it’s not the stanchion you cut when fitting forks

DoH!

bruneep

I’m sure that the insurance only covers accidental damage not stupidity. Could be wrong best check the T&C’s tho.

leffeboy

I’m liking the idea of stupidity insurance. Where can I get some?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Given that this accidental damage occurred in his garage, is there a possibility it would be covered on home insurance? In theory I don’t really see a problem with it, but I’ve never heard of anyone else doing the same.

Are you for real ? Man cuts something wrong length and wants to claim for accidental damage, no wonder insurance premiums are going through the roof with idiots like you and your mate around…….

Sum
    Free Member

Accidental damage excludes DIY blunders IIRC, although you can insure yourself for the latter so maybe your mate has had that particular extra added to his policy?

But as said above a 0.5mm deep cut 10mm from the top of the steerer tube isn’t going to affect much.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

gaffer tape it

hels
    Free Member

I’d like to hear about this Numpty Insurance too. Not for myself, you understand…

bren2709

If still not happy you could put couple of spot welds on the area effected (stear tube not stanchion for TJ’s benefit 😉 ) then smooth off with file then emery cloth.
    Just a thought!
    Otherwise cannot see there being a problem..
    You could always use a Hope head doctor (think that’s what they are called) to help support inside tube.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Accidental damage + home insurance’ is closed to new replies.