Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • about to buy an iphone
  • runswithscissors

As per title, should i buy now or wait for v3(?)which is out soon…any major diff between current version and v3?

cp

you’ll be able to update the software to v3 when it comes out in June (?) anyway. I’ve still not heard of any definite news on a v3 phone

i got my iphone a month ago and I love it – it’s great!! the only poss improvement would be to the camera, but that’s not important to me, and the one supplied does everything i need.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

APPARENTLY the current exclusivity deal runs out in June so other suppliers will have them (meaning more choice on tariffs etc).

runswithscissors

mastiles, heard that rumour many times, do you know for sure it ends in June?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

to be fair, the 02 tarrif is quite good anyhow.

runswithscissors

paulosoxo, all my other phones are on Orange so if it’s coming to Orange soon i’ll hang on…….

mossimus
    Free Member

Iphone V3 may or may not have a built in Compass

willard

I heard a rumour from the office Mac fanboy that something big is happening June.

If it means that I can get one for less than the [extortionate] cost of them now, that would be nice. Otherwise I’ll be hanging on to my Nokia for another year.

youngj1
    Free Member

I believe that other operators (inc orange) are bidding to have it. As these discussions are currently ongoing there are no guarantees which operators will take it and when they will be available.

packer
    Free Member

There will be special offers on the current model next month – hold fire.

aviemoron
    Free Member

I’ve had mine a year and delighted with it. I’ll update the software in June (cut n paste, mms – whooppee) and then take the free update to the v3 in sep’. O2 fine with me.

runswithscissors

hmmm maybe i can wait till june……

mrmo
    Free Member

I would wait, there may be a new iphone to go with the V3 software. for the sake of a few weeks…

glenh
    Free Member

Get an android phone – just as good (better in some ways) and cheaper.

willard

If I was more of a geek, and well into programming, I’d go for the Android. But I’m not, so I won’t.

The iPhone is just a _little_ bit better.

epicyclo

Wait until June…

All the Mac sites are positive there will be a major upgrade of the iPhone hardware.

I’ll be buying one then.

AlasdairMc

I’m considering the iphone 3 whenever it comes out, but the clincher to stick where I am is offline OS mapping through Memory Map on Windows Mobile devices. Once that’s on the iphone, I’m converted.

scraprider
    Free Member

you cant beat an iphone , it great , and cant wait for the update,

peajay

I got one last month a 16gig love it, top tip, find a friend who works for NetworkRail as we can get 30 percent discount on tarrifs, I’m only paying £24 per month, tell your railway pal to check out their employee offers at work, :0)
    PJ.

mAx_hEadSet

Was there not someone selling cheap iPhones in classifieds recently 🙂

Apple has already released v3 to registered apple developers. Since I signed an NDA with Apple I can’t tell you if I have it or how good it is, but as with all beta software.. there are moments of brilliance and mud

bigrich

why oh why do they not run apps in the background?

DrJ

why oh why do they not run apps in the background?

They do – iPod, for example. And I think I saw that from v3 they will allow 3rd party apps to run in background also.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Definitely wait until the new one appears. It is also almost certain that other operators will start selling iPhone at some point – has just happened in France.

Don’t go for Android. There is no certification process on apps submitted to the store so you might download something useless or harmful.

bigrich, Windows Mobile phones also run apps in the background

Details of the new iPhone if you go that route:

The new iPhone 3.0 Firmware was released last week, offering a large number of updates to the iPhone/iPod touch OS. The following is a summary of the additional capabilities that were enabled and insight into the likely implications for future development on the iPhone.

New Features

The new features and functionality added with the 3.0 release can be categorized broadly into 2 groups. The first group, which is of little strategic interest, address shortcomings of the current OS and is aimed at catching up with competitor offerings. These features include:

1. Copy/paste of text/images
    2. Support for MMS
    3. Device search (Spotlight)
    4. Landscape keyboard

In the second group are a number of other features and APIs aimed at enabling a new set of scenarios to meet enterprise and consumer needs. These include:

1. Push notification
    2. Peer-to-peer Bluetooth connectivity API
    3. Stereo Bluetooth
    4. 3G Tethering
    5. Turn-by-turn directions
    6. Embedded maps API
    7. Accessories control API
    8. VOIP in applications
    9. ‘Rumble’ control – applications can access vibration control
    10. Extended parental controls
    11. New pricing models for apps and in app payments

Travis

Can’t wait for a Pre….
    Sorted

glenh
    Free Member

Don’t go for Android. There is no certification process on apps submitted to the store so you might download something useless or harmful.

That’s the whole point. It’s open source. It means there are lots of applications, most of which are free, unlike iphone.
    The android API does not allow for damaging applications to be developed and each application is forced to declare and require consent for any OS features it uses.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

glenh, statistically around 40% of iPhone apps are free, and that is the forecast for the other stores like Windows Mobile Marketplace, Blackberry apps store etc. The issue is that there is no test on Android apps on whether they crash the phone, cause memory leakage, run efficiently, have inappropriate content etc. The other stores have stringent certification processes to ensure you get “good” apps, whether they are free or paid for

kelvin

Hardware wise, nothing exciting expected from next iPhone, but for the sake of a month of usage you may as well wait. I’ve had strong hints from someone on the inside that the carrier he works for will be involved with Apple soon. Wouldn’t be drawn if that means iPhone next month, or something he was far more excited about a bit further down the line.

DrJ

Can’t wait for a Pre….

Hope you’re not disappointed

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Well even being an apple fan boy myself i would consider an android phone if the choice of hardware wasnt so piss poor. Im waiting for the new version of the iphone myself i held off on the first one because it was still a little flawed then i went over to a samsung because i believed new 3g version was still a good year away and got my estimate wrong by 6 months now my samsung contract ends within a month of the new version of the iphone and i cant wait.

glenh
    Free Member

CaptainMainwaring – the android market allows you to see user ratings of all apps that are available before you download, so you can generally see if an app is any good or not before you try.

I’ve yet to download a bad one (I’m not suggesting there aren’t any, just that it’s easy to avoid them).
    Obviously memory leaks etc are more difficult to detect as a user, but really that’s up to the quality of coding in the SDK/API, not the app developers (since they have limited access to lower level os features).

btw, I have nothing against apple (I’m writing this on a Macbook Pro), but I think the flexibility of the android platform makes it better than iphone (at least for me, perhaps not for everyone).

DrJ

btw, I have nothing against apple (I’m writing this on a Macbook Pro), but I think the flexibility of the android platform makes it better than iphone (at least for me, perhaps not for everyone).

An article I read described the android as being nmore suitable for the hobby-ist (whatever that means exactly) and the iPhone as more suitable for the general user. Maybe your experience backs this up.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

glenh, true, but the other stores allows you to see user ratings and reviews as well. I am not a techie of any kind, but the SDK API’s are only the way of connecting to the OS. If you build a bad app that causes crashes, leaks etc, that is down to the developer not the OS or API.

Having said all that, it’s really down to whatever phone works for your personal preferences. I think the iPhone is a brilliant piece of kit, but have now also got to love my S-E Xperia and HTC Touch Pro Windows Mobile devices, love Sony-Ericsson for the simplicity of the UI etc. Happens I don’t like Nokia smartphones. but then they have a 40% market share so it must be me

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

The Nokia N97 will give a good go at wiping the floor with the iphone, when it’s released in June/July – worth holding off to play with one before making up your mind.

dr_death
    Free Member

Mate of mine has OS 3.0 and is very impressed, I was gonna get it too but haven’t got round to it yet. Far too busy with work (and making a MacBook Mini out of a Dell Mini 9 and an OS X install disc!). He is very impressed with it especially 3g tethering and the spotlight-esque search function.

Apparently the third Gen phone has a better camera (3.2 Mp), 32 Gb memory, faster processor (600MHz up from 400), more Ram (256 up from 128) a compass and and built in FM. This would all fit in with the chips that Apple has been buying in vast quantities. So, I would hold on for a couple of months as this should all be announced in June when you can either find out how long / how much, or pick up a second gen iPhone for a bit cheaper.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘about to buy an iphone’ is closed to new replies.