• This topic has 44 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • A3 Sportback Quattro, or…….
  • the_lecht_rocks

………..what else is there ?

Time to change Mrs TLR’s Cooper S……..

TIA 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

123d

Golf GTD/GTi

Volvo V30

mcobie
    Free Member

RS3 come January – at £40k though comes at a price 😉

NZCol

Golf R
    RS3 for sure.
    Would avoid s line A3s, had an S3 and was really crashy and not much fun to be in.
    Or an RS4 perhaps ?

ivantate
    Free Member

Sounds like pistonheads now.

Obviously anyone wanting a new car has to go for the most powerful and most exclusive model first.

Does she want the ultimate handling, sub 7sec 0-60, long service intervals, 4×4, 5 doors etc??

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Just bought a A3 Sportback S-line for the Mrs Optical…wanted the Quattro but got a deal on the sline….great to drive and been ok in the snow as well.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Does it have to be 4wd and 5dr?

Scirocco R is better value than a Golf R, although does without the 4wd. Scirocco 2.0 GT is the same engine as the golf GTI too.

New C30 is nice, as someone said above.

1 series coupe? (due for a facelift next year I think).

-m-
    Free Member

Mammoth lead times on some VAG cars at the moment (new/factory build) and second hand / nearly new prices are high as a result. Hopefully you can find what you want at the right price.

As has been said above, S-Line A3s do ride ‘a bit hard’.

Shandy
    Free Member

The Volvo’s steering is almost completely weightless, very uninvolving to drive and the interior is a bit mleh as well.

I am pretty sure the Golf R is 2wd.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To borrow Mr Awesome’s phrase, s-line/m sport = all show no go.

That RS3 looks like way too many horses in such a small car. Mental.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Errmmm – budget, type of engine (assume quick), etc?

Golf R is AWD. Scirocco R is FWD.

Golf R is a good option as is the current S3 – soon to be replaced so prices can be haggled hard.

BM 123d is great but you sound like you might want AWD?

S-Line/M Sport on a measly engined car is quite simply:

Gay.

pixelmix
    Free Member

“The Volvo’s steering is almost completely weightless, very uninvolving to drive and the interior is a bit mleh as well.
    I am pretty sure the Golf R is 2wd.”

I agree that others drive better than the c30, but might be worth a shot. Can be some good deals.

Pretty sure the Golf R is 4wd, hence the price difference over the Scirocco R.

Subaru Impreza if you want 5drs and 4wd?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

My friend is a salesman for VW and he said that the lead time for a new Golf is 20 weeks at the moment.

titusrider
    Free Member

Alfa Gulietta

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Alfa Gulietta

😆 😆

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

“To borrow Mr Awesome’s phrase, s-line/m sport = all show no go. “

“S-Line/M Sport on a measly engined car is quite simply: Gay. “

Well I’ve got an S Line A4 Avant and I think it looks great, drives well comfortable and with the 140Tdi engine its quick enough when it needs to be and if I don’t pin it everywhere I’ll get 650 to 700 to a tank of diesel.

Down side is tyres are **** expensive.

hp_source

Civic Type-R? or even a New Cooper S… is your current one a Supercharged, or the newer Turbo one? Or even one of those Countryman jobbies if the 4×4 is important.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Alfa Gulietta

+1

woody2000

Took 4 months for my new Golf to arrive, to confirm what thesurfbus said. Worth the wait though 🙂

sam_underhill

Skoda Octavia vRS. 170 Diesel if you must, but my DSG petrol one with a 255bhp remap is awesome. Same switchgear as the VWs and a fraction of the price and IMHO its a bit better laid out than the golf. I paid just under 20k for the estate with dsg, leather, zenons, cruise. A similarly specced golf gti would be nearly 30k! I imagine an A3 would be more again.

don’t forget the remap though (Shark Performance FTW) 😉

br
    Free Member

3 out of 5…

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/audi/a3-sportback/summary/25182-13

And the cheapest quattro is £23k – you could get a proper car for that kinda money.

If you like Audi’s:
    http://www.whatcar.com/used-cars-for-sale/details/audi-s4-s4-saloon/3130/11543138/default.aspx

horatio
    Free Member

The only quattro A3 worth getting would be an S3 or RS3. Pretty pointless otherwise I think.

scaredypants

my wife drives a lamborghini but it’s not that practical

I am very rich though

LOOK – HERE I AM

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Scared – don’t you mean a LAMBORGHINI? 😉

GJP
    Free Member

I have a “fully loaded” A3 Sportback 2.0T FSI Quattro S-line Special Edition.

I have had it from new for just over 4 years and really can’t fault it. The Quattro system makes it handle like a go cart, but I can’t honestly say it seems that sure footed in the snow, but it is all relative. A different drive to a rear wheel BMW not necessarily better or worse but definitely different.

Engine is sweet with a nice rasp when you put your foot down although not as smooth or refined as my old VW V5. If I went for something else it would need to be a flat 6 in either a BMW or Porsche.

But for the time being 200HP is sufficient for me. I have never driven an S3 so don’t know how much more capable it is, but at the end of the day it is same 2.0 4 cylinder engine

The Sportback is a nice bike friendly car without being too big. You probably can’t get any more bikes in than a Golf say but it is just a little easier.

Chris.H
    Free Member

We’ve got an 07 2.0TFSI Quattro Sline Sportback, great car. It is a bit hard on the suspension though, but in the time we’ve had it we haven’t had any real problems at all. It just gets an annual service which is about £150 to £200 depending on where you go.

When we were looking we specifically wanted the 4wd car and there wasn’t much choice about. It was either a golf 4motion, at that time they only made the R32, or an A3.

I’d certainly have another

rs
    Free Member

but I can’t honestly say it seems that sure footed in the snow

due to the rubber band summer tires no doubt!

GJP
    Free Member

but I can’t honestly say it seems that sure footed in the snow
    due to the rubber band summer tires no doubt!

Yep that will be it. I like my cars like my women – low maintenance.

snaps
    Free Member

Have a read of THIS Audi A3 tdi quattro, very very quick car.

Brycey
    Free Member

I’m a diehard fast Golf fan, but there’s a ’60 plate Golf R in the dealer up the road with 2000 miles on it; it’s £36,995!!!! Thats ridiculous. Standard car is over 30k, has a cloth interior, no satnav etc. S3 would be considerably (6-7k) cheaper than similar spec Golf R (same engine), due to outgoing model.

Guy at work ordered a Sportback in October, late April delivery!

br
    Free Member

I have a “fully loaded” A3 Sportback 2.0T FSI Quattro S-line Special Edition.

It must be in a small font to get that across the bootlid!

the_lecht_rocks

thinking S3….

how impressive is the 4wd [we’d fit winter tyres for our snow conditions]….

the cooper s is an 08 turbo, to be either sold or kept as a run-aboot…..

Brycey
    Free Member

It’s a Haldex clutch so not full time 4wd (I think). I found it a bit of an uninspiring drive tbh; very fast and plenty of grip but not much feel. Other thing to consider is S3/A3 is now 7 odd years old and due for replacement very soon, although I suppose that’s the reason for the competitive pricing just now.

RS3 with 5 pot turbo will surely have a bit more about it, lovely engine! Lot of cash though.

PeteG55
    Free Member

BMW 1M is on the way for similar money to the RS3. Know which I’d rather have. Can’t afford either though 🙁

Brycey
    Free Member

What about the new Subaru STI saloon. Quite pricey, thirsty, fairly coorse looking; but supposed to have ironed out all the negatives of hatchback.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Lancia Delta Evo 2

you will need to save some money to keep it running obviously 😀

julians
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2007 s3, had it from new.

Its very fast, and surefooted in all conditions. th 4wd works well in the snow and has got me places where other cars have failed.

its practical and reliable, and a nice place to sit.

BUT – its the most boring fast car I’ve ever owned, its amazing how a car this fast can be this boring. I think its because its got no depth, any idiot can drive it and get to within 95% of its total capability.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

How many miles are the folks with the A3 TFSI getting to the gallon?

DickBarton

How do you know the 4wd is working? As far as I know it kicks in when needed but is generally 2wd. So how do you know it isn’t just a very grippy drive rather than the 4wd?

Personally it doesn’t interest me but I do like the rs4.

metalheart
    Free Member

Panda 4×4 and blow the rest on coke and hookers….

You know it makes sense 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘A3 Sportback Quattro, or…….’ is closed to new replies.