Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • A singletrackworld favourite – STEAK
  • tails
    Free Member

So here's whats happening roasted butternut squash and potato, roughly cut. Peas boiled, no butter or salt.

Steak rubbed with olive or 'ground nut oil' 😕 salt and pepper, heat up the pan to super hot but not fire, then 3 mins each side in 1 minute intervals and finally leave to rest for say 8 mins.

fatboyjon

This thread is useless without you bringing this to me now.

davidrussell
    Free Member

fillet steak presumably? cut as think as your forearm. lovely.

Although a properly grilled Ribeye can be very satisfying.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

3 minutes!!! THAT'S BURNT

Surfr
    Free Member

Groundnut oil is preferred as it can deal with higher temperatures. Olive oil will probably burn.

tails
    Free Member

fillet steak presumably?

sirloin actually although I have read rump is the best for this due to its marbling.

Although a properly grilled Ribeye can be very satisfying.

ribeye is amazing when cooked properly.

This thread is useless without you bringing this to me now.

😈

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fillet is a steak for the ladies. Men eat sirloin.

Cooking time? Make sure it's not beyond the help of a good vet.

tails
    Free Member

3 minutes!!! THAT'S BURNT

i don't want blue or rare. medium rare fine for me.

tails
    Free Member

thanks surfer groundnut oil it is then

glenh
    Free Member

Call it what it is: peanut oil.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Fillet is a steak for the ladies. Men eat sirloin.

Real men eat both, T-bone 😈

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BlingBling, I disagree. Fat Americans eat t-bones. Proper chaps eat sirloin.

😉

BlingBling
    Free Member

I'm an entrecote man myself anyway :mrgreen:

coffeeking
    Free Member

Quit flipping that damn steak, just grill one side then turn it over and do the other!

JulianA
    Free Member

Steak requires cooking?

tails
    Free Member

Fat Americans eat t-bones. Proper chaps eat sirloin.

😆 thats the funniest thing I've heard on here for a while.

coffeeking
    Free Member

One day I'll dare to try it…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CK, that looks sublime….! Had a tartare the other day in a French place in Covent Garden. Parfait!

scaredypants

Men eat sirloin.

slightly effete men who have manicures ?

RustySpanner

Real men eat rump.

Ok, perhaps I'd better re-phrase that slightly……….

tails
    Free Member

whilst we are on this subject, how many of you actually do your steaks blue. I understand rare but prefer medium rare, but blue na thats not for me. So is it all talk or do some of you actually enjoy a blue sirloin.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's just the thought of a combination of raw egg and raw meat seems like the perfect food poisoning combination!

ransos
    Free Member

I had steak tartare once, in a michelin-star place in France. It made me feel very queasy, and I didn't even think it tasted that nice. The worst thing about it was that I proved the snobby French waiter right(who thought that I wouldn't want it, he probably assumed I didn't know what "tartare" was).

Back home, it's sirloin for me, and it must be from a good butcher. But don't keep flipping the steak – cook each side once only, so you get a lovely crispy outer, but still red in the middle. And make sure it rests for at least 5 minutes before eating.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

MTFU coffeeking

get down to a decent butcher and tell him what you are going to do with the steak. You need somewhere they properly know about the beef they are selling, look for places with the herd number and farm name advertised openly.

as for food poisoning in eggs, you'd have to be extremely unlucky if you bought them from a trusted source. 0.005% of eggs contain it and the chances of then catching it are even slimmer IIRC

raw steak is fantastic for your digestion, i ate it three days on the trot (no pun intended) in Brussels once and had the best poos i've ever produced 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

Chop his horns off and wipe his ass and bring him out here!
    Whats with the butternut nonsense?
    Thick cut chips. Fried onion. Fried eggs. Buttered tiger bread.
    That is why I could never be a vegetarian.

Philby

I had steak tartare once – completely underwhelmed!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

"Wipe its arse, and show it a candle…"

How steak should be cooked on a Braai.. 😀

david_r
    Free Member

Chop his horns off and wipe his ass and bring him out here!
    Whats with the butternut nonsense?
    Thick cut chips. Fried onion. Fried eggs. Buttered tiger bread.
    That is why I could never be a vegetarian.

Backhander speaks the truth.

jonjones13
    Free Member

one of the best steaks I ever ate had a slightly caramelised outer – do people put sugar on sommat on the outside sometimes?

What's your best way of seasoning a steak?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

a little butter in the pan for caramelisation

backhander
    Free Member

Crack some black pepper on him.

jonjones13
    Free Member

yeah, mine are always scarred surface and seasoned with S&P and olive oil, but I'll try groundnut oil and a little butter next time.

z1ppy

backhander is a man after my own heart.

Ribeye here everytime… don't give a toss whether I'm supposed to have sirloin or rump, ribeye tastes too good.

domino

Sirloin or ribeye, never rump – it just doesn't have the flavour. Fillet only if it has a decent rich sauce.

Sugar on a steak, no that sounds terrible I hope people don't. Flipping more than once, nooo leave it be don't mess with it. The more times you lift it to try to flip it you are reducing the temperature.

Get the pan hot and lightly oil the steak rubbing over the steak and then season once its in the pan. The pan needs to be smoking hot, preferably a griddle pan.

Favourite potatoes for with it….it has to be a garlicky pomme dauphinoise.

backhander
    Free Member

I hear ya zippers, ribeye every time for me.
    Sirloin and fillet are lovely and tender but lack the flavour of ribeye.
    Ribeye and rump are the tastiest because they're form parts or the mooer which get exercise. This also makes the meat slightlier tougher. I learned that from heston whatisface who poisoned a lot of people recently.
    Edit, Doms right – get the badboy smoking proper before letting it "lick" the meat.

tails
    Free Member

Where's Ton he must have a steak or two

GrahamS

how many of you actually do your steaks blue. I understand rare but prefer medium rare, but blue na thats not for me.

I like proper medium rare (red middle that is warm) but I find that in many UK restaurants you have to ask for it blue/rare to get medium-rare/medium.

I suspect this is less the fault of the chefs and more due to punters sending back their medium steaks because "it's still a bit pink in the middle". 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

This thread has made me write "steak" on my shopping list for dinner.

Chips, fried egg and gravy. Yum.

ransos
    Free Member

I like proper medium rare (red middle that is warm) but I find that in many UK restaurants you have to ask for it blue/rare to get medium-rare/medium.

Yes, so you order it blue, and then find the one restaurant that cooks it properly, so it's then underdone!

In France, "a point" seems to equate to what I would call medium rare.

tails
    Free Member

gravy

😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘A singletrackworld favourite – STEAK’ is closed to new replies.