Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • A quick poll on CX tyres, racing only
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’m getting new tyres not tubs for the coming season. Foolishly I’d been racing on Speed Kings for the last three. However they are the most draggy things going.
    The differences in tyres is very subtle which is why I can’t quite make up my mind.
    I’m tempted by Michelin Mud 2s, apparently the Mud tag is a bit misleading and they’re a good alrounder. I’ll probably get a slick to go on the rear for dry races.
    But what is proving to be good? I expect to slide in the mud and hoon on the tarmac, but what’s ace on grass which is the basis for most races.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I raced on Muds the whole of last season and fond them quite good to be honest. That was on a combination of grass, gravel, and tarmac. From plus 10 degrees to minus 10.

oldgit
    Free Member

That’s what I want to hear.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

What about something like the Challenge Griffo ‘Open’ tubs? they’re a just a tub carcass that’s not sewn up, they use a bead for clincher rims. use a latex tube too and they would ride pretty well I reckon.

oldgit
    Free Member

They were my second choice, and a benchmark tyre but reports say that other companies are improving on the old design.

That’s what I wanted to ask. Latex tubes, are they more prone to pinch flats?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’d also look at putting a Schwalbe CX PRO on the back for early season fast rolling courses.

oldgit
    Free Member

CX Pro really? Are they quick on dry non techy courses then?

What leagues are you guys in just in case we’re riding the same circuits.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I find the CX Pro quick on the back. I use one on my training wheels with a Mud on the front.

The Challenge suggestion is also interesting, I’m looking to test a pair soon.

I race in the Swedish national series, so we are unlikely to meet, although you’re more than welcome over.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yikes! CX Pro is an awful tyre, far too thin IMO. My preference would be the Racing Ralph tyre if anything.

I must admit though I’m a bit out of touch with clincher stuff as I’ve not ridden one in 7 years. I’m a Tub rider always, so much better.

Coleman
    Free Member

Kenda Small Block 8’s until it gets really muddy then Panaracer Crossblasters or Kenda Kwickers.
    Notts/Derby League.

traildog
    Free Member

I keep going back to Michelin Mud 2s. They are not perfect and often clog too easily. I would love to try the original Mud and most people I speak to say it’s much better at clearing. However, whenever I change to something else, I end up returning to the muds. I was going to go tubs this year but not sure I’m going to be racing that much so not sure bother now.

Oh, and I agree with the above about CX Pros.

I race in the NW League, so plenty of thick mud.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I made a mistake in one of my posts.

I thought I had a Schwalbe CX PRO on my rear wheel, however it turns out that it is in fact a Michelin Jet. (New wheels/new bike)

Sorry for the confusion and please replace said CX Pro with Michelin Jet in my posts above.

Spin
    Free Member

Muds seem to roll very well. Another vote.

Don’t last long on hard pack / tarmac though

aP
    Free Member

I’m still using original Muds – carefully aged in the loft, as well as Tufo Flexus Cubus 34s although after the 3 peaks I may go down to 32s for better mud clearance.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m getting two Muds and one jet.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Wise choice oldgit

aP
    Free Member

Sounds like “meat and 2 veg”.
    I think I’ve got some original Michelin Sprint tires in the loft as well … Hmmm

oldgit
    Free Member

Oooh green ones? coz they make you ‘Look’ like a cross God.

aP
    Free Member

Well, I’ve always made it clear I’m only interested in the look 😛
    I might even be more pretentious and start bringing a spare bike to races.

simondbarnes

I raced the North West League with Maxxis Mud Wrestlers last year. They seemed like a really good all-round tyre, only really struggling on very wet, grassy climbs when it’s faster running anyway.

I’m always in the bottom 30% of the field so you may wish to disregard my views 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Started off on conti speed kings…..binned.Then maxxis raze which were a bit slow and ended up on maxxis mud wrestlers (wet or dry)which are a rip off of michelin muds.
    Building a set of tub wheels for this season and will probably run tufo cubos.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, very fast tyre but they do wear out pretty quickly.

boxelder

Speed kings are draggy? On what surface out of interest?

oldgit
    Free Member

Speed kings are draggy? On what surface out of interest

Grass, worst when it’s a bit long and slightly damp – not football pitch length and bone dry.
    The sidewall knob act like paddles, I noticed it straight away then read reports from the States with people saying the same.
    The best thing about the tyre i.e it’s off camber ability is it’s downfall in parkland grass.

colnagokid

Use tubs for racing but spare wheels are Mud 2s and have raced on them and liked them, or Racing Ralphs. CX Pros on training wheels cos they are cheap

dobo
    Free Member

currently running some kenda sb8 got cheap from crc a while back and are fast and reasonably grippy in the dry, quite narrow though.
    last year i did my races on mich mud 2 and cant really fault them, i also picked up a mich jet and they are grippy and fast and fatter than my sb8. i’m only a novice cx’r but i dont think you can go wrong with mud 2, good all rounder, i’m tempted to try an jet on the front but they are expensive really

fwiw im tempted to try and run my mich mud 2 tubeless as apparently it works ok, if anyone can confirm if they work with some shimano r500’s i’ll buy some

Rorschach
    Free Member

I got my maxxis running tubeless on some aksiums,problem being that at the pressures you’d want to run they burped all the time and at higher pressures you might as well have tubes,hence the new tub wheels.

boxelder

parkland grass

Ahh, that’ll be why I hadn’t noticed.

oldgit
    Free Member

I think all of my leagues races are on grass – just a small ammount of mud, gravel, tarmac & singletrack.

Spin
    Free Member

fwiw im tempted to try and run my mich mud 2 tubeless as apparently it works ok, if anyone can confirm if they work with some shimano r500’s i’ll buy some

I have given up trying to get my mud2s working tubeless. Tried on open pros, and planet-x rims. Might work with a compressor but I’ve no access to one.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I’ve got some Vittoria cross xg pro that drag something rotten on tarmac.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘A quick poll on CX tyres, racing only’ is closed to new replies.