• This topic has 28 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • A Dartmoor Quiz :o)
  • crispybacon
    Free Member

Had a great day off work today & I made the most of it by having a superb bimble on Dartmoor.

I took a few snaps & I wonder if the regular Dartmoor riders recognise the places – no prizes just a bit of fun 🙂

1. Where is this & what is just out of shot?

2. Where is this?

3. Where is this & what well known route does it link to?

4. Which lane is this?

5. What is the Tor in the distance & which Tor does this trail cut off

EDIT: my FB STW friends are not allowed to CHEAT!

yunki
    Free Member

I won’t cheat cos I’ve seen these pics with captions already today.. 😉

I do know however, that just out of shot in the top photo are the hind quarters of a sheep.. (last time I was there anyway..! )

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mmmm? Do I know the answers? Yep! As per Yunki…I have seen the answers already today. 😉

crispybacon
    Free Member

‘err you two are very naughty boys!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Guessing really

1. ?
    2. ?
    3. Widowmaker
    4. Portland Lane (looking at Burrator Resv.)
    5. Sheepstor

gusamc
    Free Member

damn fine photos, as a complete aside those tracks look really gf friendly, so after the quiz (or email in profile), any chance of the route/dets – cheers

crispybacon
    Free Member

gusmac – I’ve got most of this as a GPX route (it lost signal for a short section) is a GPX file ok?

gusamc
    Free Member

gpx is great, thanks

eviljoe
    Free Member

+1 gusamc- does look GF friendly. I’ve been riding with a horse far too much recently, could be payback time… does look like a Princetown/Burrator route without evil widowmaker- can I get a gpx too?

Joe

crispybacon
    Free Member

gusmac & eviljoe – the full route was 26 miles so I hope your ladies are ‘fit’ 😉

I’ll send you the route & some shorter gf friendly ones too.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

eviljoe – Member

+1 gusamc- does look GF friendly. I’ve been riding with a horse far too much recently, could be payback time… does look like a Princetown/Burrator route without evil widowmaker– can I get a gpx too?

Joe

Evil Widowmaker….not so ‘evil’ anymore! 🙁

slugwash
    Free Member

CrispOi! Shame that you no longer post your piccies up on your Flickr account. I’m not on that there personal data ripping, ID thieving, Face Book malarky thingy 🙁

crispybacon
    Free Member

Slugwash – I’m on Flickr but under a different usename – my PC crashed & for some reason I couldn’t get back on so had to change my name.

Anyway why haven’t you identified the pics??

eviljoe
    Free Member

Lovely job Crispy, cheers for that. Catch up soon I hope 8)

slugwash
    Free Member

Anyway why haven’t you identified the pics??

It’s not like I haven’t tried. I googled ‘Crispy Bacon + Facebook’ but it failed to come up with the captioned photos 😉

Anyway, let’s have a proper Dartmoor Quiz 😉 Where’s this and who are the riders?

crispybacon
    Free Member

Lol – I’m on FB under my real name plus you need to know the secret code to gain entry 😉

So far Buzz is the only one who has 1 right – No. 4 & half a point for No. 3

Anyway, let’s have a proper Dartmoor Quiz Where’s this and who are the riders?

‘err let me see disused railway line above Burrator with Bagpuss & AN Other ….. am I close?

jam-bo

2 is the devonport leat in the woods above norsworthy bridge.

4 is the lane from sheepstor up to cadover. not sure what its called.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Anymore takers for the quiz??

I’ll give out the answers @ 9pm tonight 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Very, very, jealous.

OK, where’s this:

and Mrs Ming’s favorite hill……NOT!

julianwilson
    Free Member

1) don’t know what it’s called but is there a little clapper bridge just there too?

5) Kings Tor, and trail cuts off Foggintor? (or is it the other way round?) Anyway, the trail is that bit off the Princetown railway trackbed where crispybacon finally lost the will to live on his 50th birthday quantox/exmoor/dartmoor rideathon.

trailmonkey

Crispy’s 3) Looks like the trail heading left off the yellow brick road past nunn’s cross (heading north) that joins onto the flidomaker

MTM’s 2) Looks like the hairpin in Hound tor wood, Becka valley.

chrisdw
    Free Member

@Ming

Is the first one a place called Black river? Or Black something? Looks familiar, but not been there for years.

crispybacon
    Free Member

MTM – top pic is the water crossing just after the scout hut descent, I tend to miss that & use the small concrete bridge instead.

TM – No. 3 you Sir are indeed correct. It was my first time going down there & it was fun.

OCB
    Free Member

I’m looking at the southern moor out of the window right now, and I don’t recognize any of them other than Ming’s second picture being maybe over off the back of Manaton way, just below the falls. I like the second one down tho’ – looks nice for an easy picnic related amble about.

(Even looking at the flickr versions on your ‘stream don’t help as they aren’t captioned (but I do like the shots from over on Mt Edgcombe)).

😉

I’ll add one of mine if that’s ok?

trailmonkey

ocb, is that on the old railway track on the way up to redlake ?

carlphillips
    Free Member

OCB thats not a million miles away from Eylesbarrow climb just over into next valley along, is it drizzle combe at ditsworthy warren? if not then there is a piece of singlybob pretty similar there!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Ok guys many thanks to those who had a go, here are the answers:

1. This is Deancombe & the Narrator Brook East of Burrator – the clapper bridge is just out of shot.
    2. This is Stanlake Plantation north of Burrator & that is the Devonport Leat.
    3. This is the BW from Nun’s Cross to the clapper bridge @ the bottom of the first steep downhill section of the Widowmaker.
    4. This is Portland Lane
    5. The Tor in the distance (rhs) is Ingra Tor & this shortcut cuts off King’s Tor – Yes Julian it was where I had my sense of Humour failure last year 😕

OCB – where is that rather sweet section of singletrack in the picture?

carlphillips
    Free Member

ooh or is southeast side of hartor tors? opp plym steps?

OCB
    Free Member

trailmonkey has it (and carlphillips is pretty close too – one more valley over’d do it, so I can see how it’d look).

😉

It’s the Erme valley (up beyond Harford), seen from up on the Redlake tramkway. I’d vaguely planned a kinda up the tramway, down that valley route, but got caught out for time / energy last time, so it remains on the list.

The open moor on that corner is a bit of a morale-sapping morass to walk through tho’ – so I’m not sure that too much off-path bike carrying would make for an especially pleasant experience – although it’d be an adventure (especially at night).

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘A Dartmoor Quiz :o)’ is closed to new replies.