• This topic has 33 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • A bikes on trains q
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

So as Step 1 of Mending MrsFlash’s Head, the lovely Domino has invited me on a ride on Saturday (thanks Domino 🙂 ). I don’t have the car that day as Rich has it for a prior engagement, so I need to get the train from Leeds to Skipton – do I just roll up at the station or do I need to check anything first?

I’m a bike on train virgin so a bit clueless, and I’m posting it up to make sure I do it and don’t think it’s all a bit much and chicken out.

Can anyone shed any light?

ps sfb it’s nothing personal, just Dales win over Bingley Bash, sorry, besides Domino mentioned something about teashops 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

Depends on the train company you are travelling with. On a Saturday many will just be a case of turn up, first come first served. This page provides info on individual train companies approach:

http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html

You can check your train company on the National Rail website.

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

Depends what line you’re travelling on. This page is great for info.

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

Poppa beat me to it. D’oh!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I just nomally get on the train and cling on to my bike as if its my third arm. You would not have to make any special arrangements for a short trip from Leeds to Skipton. It might be a bit busy though so get to the front!

dr_adams
    Free Member

I travelled by train to go look at a bike and i didn’t know if i was buying one or not so i didn’t book, I turned up to the train station and asked at the ticket counter to be told i had to have booked and there was no chance of getting on the train with one, i then asked the crosscountry trains people as i passed their office and they told me there was no need to book and that there wouldn’t be a problem unless there was people already there with bookings… seems they don’t even know between them! and then i asked the ticket inspector on the train who didn’t care!
    If i was travelling again i would deffo book! is normally the night before at the latest!

mrsflash
    Free Member

Cheers poppa I’ll have a look there.

ourmaninthenorth

Turn up. Smile sweetly. And you’ll be on.

I used to try this (less easy to smile sweetly when you’re a boy and look like I do, but hey) and get away with it, even on busy Saturday afternoon trains back to wards Manchester. Being covered in mud seemed to get me plenty of space.

poppa
    Free Member

As far as I can remember, Cross Country/Virgin are the biggest pain in the bum. The official line is that you have to book your bike in advance, but when I tried to book online there was no option to do that. So instead I rang up to book only to be told that the bike service was unavailable. As far as I can tell people just turn up and don’t bother booking, and I get the impression they are not particularly concerned with the needs/business of cyclists.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Thanks Seth, I have no intention of letting my bike out of my sight that’s for sure!

I’ve looked at the policy for the transpennine express and very helpfully it says you have to book but there are spaces for 2 bikes as a turn up without booking first come first served. Nicely contradictory!

thomthumb
    Free Member

turn up get on the train with bike. then argue the case.

usually train staff are sound but have their hands tied by the tossers they work for.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Southern trains down here are like that, so its a bit of a lottery really. South west trains are fine tho.
    Just turn up and you’ll be fine.

Ratty
    Free Member

I do the train/bike to Skipton occasionally – I’ve never booked, just turn up.

Carriages are normally those that hang the bike by the front wheel, can get one either end of the carraige. Can also get a few in the pushchair space (assuming no pushchairs of course).

Give yourself time to circumnavigate the new barriers at the Leeds end, I think you need to find a manned gate, not done it myself yet.

Get there early if it’s a busy time in Leeds, bike capacity on these things is limited. Oddly enough, trains back from Skip’dale always seem pretty empty.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Ah, should have thought to ask you Rob! Thanks for info 🙂

Ratty
    Free Member

deserted train at skipton (15:30). bikehook thingy.

skipton again, in the pushchair space.

these are the posh trains tho’ – occasionally get those bus-on-rails things, which are a nasty, noisy & cramped.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

I travel all the time on trains between Preston, Manchester, Burnley & Leeds with my bike and never had once had a problem. Use the trains about 3 times a week with my bike.
    Leeds to Skipton wont be a problem at all. Especially if your getting on at Leeds.

pennine
    Free Member

I’ve done the Shipley to Skipton a few times Clare. Usually before 10 when there’s plenty of space. Most of the passengers seem to go to Leeds anyway. As Rob says you’ll need to navigate through the ticket barriers at Leeds. I’ve seen loads of cyclists at Leeds station when I’ve been going to London so it can’t be that bad. Also plenty of trains on a Saturday.

maxray
    Free Member

The Chiltern trains are fine, just look out for the bike carraige and youll be ok. There can be up to 5 bikes in their sometimes on my commute home.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Cheers Rob & Granville, reassuring to know 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ps sfb it’s nothing personal, just Dales win over Bingley Bash, sorry, besides Domino mentioned something about teashops

I’m gutted 🙁
    Not really! Have fun Clare :o)

PS sometimes you’re supposed to have a reservation but I just bluster my way on without

twohats
    Free Member

If in doubt, use a bike bag! You can even get on the bus with it too!

domino

MrsF – ygm, you will be fine on the train. Domino

mrsflash
    Free Member

Cheers Domino, I’ll let you know what train I’m hoping to get.

clubber
    Free Member

Just in case you arrive and the bike spaces are already taken…

I’ve found that so long as you get on the train with your bike and then refuse to budge if they tell you to get off then rather than make it really late, they’ll just let you stay on…

IA

Normally the rules are 6 bikes per train IIRC, and more at the guards discretion. So smile, be polite and be early for the train to get on first.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If in doubt, use a bike bag!

aren’t they rather big to carry round with you when you’re riding ?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I thought this was a cheap northern remake of ‘Snakes on a Plane’

twohats
    Free Member

If in doubt, use a bike bag!

aren’t they rather big to carry round with you when you’re riding ?

Yes Simon, they are

juan
    Free Member

You should come down south you’ll have no problems to put bikes on train

And you can even admire the view by the window

😀

N.B. Yes I know crap picture from phone etc etc

mrsflash
    Free Member

That’s a pretty nice view 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Which one 😉
    I’ll try to take picture of the TER-intercité tomorrow. This train has a special front/rear (depending on which way it commutes) carriage for bike and all 😀
    I’ll do it tomorrow 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I usualy take a cheep cable lock, weighs next to nothing noticable, but enough to give you peace of mind that no oens walking off the train with your pride and joy.

We once put about 20 on the sheffield-manchester (hope/edale) train, just turned up 10 min erly and wheeled them on, hooking the front wheels up on the large luggage rack and letting them dangle into the bike space (which nominaly holds about 8 I think). Guard seemed quite impressed.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

You can book your bike online for Virgin/Cross Country here:
    http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/

It’s not immediately obvious but it’s there! I always book mine and probably about 50% of the time I’ve been glad I did, either because of particularly officious conductors/platform staff or because of other people with bikes and no bookings.

For more local trains just show up and squeeze on.

juan
    Free Member

As promise the picture from the special bike coach in the intercité train…

And the part where we sit 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘A bikes on trains q’ is closed to new replies.