Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 9sp & 10sp front mechs – interchangeable?
  • JohnnyPanic

Need to replace an XT 9 speed front mech running from an old SRAM X9 shifter & set up as a double only. Can I replace with a 10 speed XT?

cruzer
    Free Member

i cant see a problem with it, as its still only shifter between 2/3 rings which remain the same distance apart.

the whole marketing for 10-speed is over the top, the only things that are 10 speed specific are chain, cassette, rear mech and shifter. everything else is interchangable 😀

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What he said. Same with 7/8 speed front mechs.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Don’t think it is just marketing, the X7 10 speed I rode shifted at the front under pretty much any load in either direction easily, my X9 shifter XT mech combo never got close even when new. Am sure it will work, though.

JohnnyPanic

Cheers. Save me buying 9sp front mech now and then 10sp later when I ‘upgrade’.

So a 9speed front mech should also work with a 10 speed setup, and the narrower 10 speed chain will work with my existing ‘9 speed’ chainrings? Does the 10 speed front mech have a narrower cage?

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t think the cage width of the mech is an issue; although a 10 speed chain is fractionally thinner than 9 speed, the degrees of movement it goes through (on one front ring, shifting from the smallest to the biggest rear sprocket) is the same* as on 9 speed.

*I guess with the 36t rear cassettes now available, the angle which your chain goes through may well be even greater.

I’ve ordered a 10 speed front mech to go on my new bike (with everything else 9 speed) but I haven’t got it yet…

chakaping
    Free Member

2×10 dyna sys mech doesn’t work with 3×9 spacing, I have tried

Not enough range of movement

JohnnyPanic

So I bought the 10 speed Shimano M780 but it’s prooving tricky to adjust . At the moment it rubs a little on the top 2 and bottom 2 sprockets in the 36 (22/36+bash with 11-34). Hoping after a little bedding in it will settle down.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve always found chains rub the front mech at one extreme of the cassette or the other depending how you set it up. 2×9 or 2×10 I doubt will change that.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

is it a shimano one?

if it is have you routed you cable correctly? mine was set up wrong for ages until some one pointed out.

it wraps around the bolt. (hard to describe with out pics)

JohnnyPanic

The previous M770 didn’t rub, same setup, although, now on a small 2011 Meta 5, previously on a Med 2009 Meta 5, Hmmm…

Yes, shimano, bottom pull. Pretty sure it’s routed right. Need to spend more time on it.

perthmtb
    Free Member

There was a loooong thread discussing 9/10 speed compatibility in all its various permutations on MTBR a while back.

It seems to suggest that there will be issues if you swap in a 10sp FD for a 9sp. Aparrently, the 10sp chain is narrower (on the outside, but not the inside, so still work with 9sp chainrings), and the 10sp chainrings are spaced closer together. As a result, the 10sp FD is designed both narrower and moves less far with each shift change, and therefore will be prone to chain rub if used with 9sp crank/chainrings/chain. The OPs expereinces here seem to confirm this.

Hasten to add, this is not from my knowledge/experience, just passing on what was said by others who have tried it. You can read the whole thread yourself at MTBR 9/10 speed thread

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Was fitting a double and bash 22/36 with 9S rear.
    Had a spare XT 10S front mech and used it.
    Rubbed despite taking care to adjust, but very usable at either extreme (just noisy).
    Came across a spare XT 9S front.
    Changed over 9S for 10S front mech, now silent at both extremes.

Conclusion – Problem solved by using correct front mech with correct chain, coincidence or better set up second time around?

mcboo
    Free Member

This what I love about STW…..I’m mulling this stuff in my head, and there the answers appear without me even asking.

JohnnyPanic

Orangejohn, you would appear to be right but…
    To follow up, In the middle 36t (largest fitted) ring it does indeed rub at either end of the range when mounted in the workstand however when out riding it’s barely noticeable.

Perthmtb, thanks for the link. I’ll wander over & have a look.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘9sp & 10sp front mechs – interchangeable?’ is closed to new replies.