Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • $900 stem
  • Turnoisier
    Free Member

Here

I couldn’t find the overpriced bling thread from a few days ago. Anyway, surely a $900 stem deserves a thread of its own.

I sort of see the point, but you really must be quite desperate to save time if you’re willing to spend $900 on a stem…

Stoner
    Free Member

for when 4x allen bolts is a faff 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

quite apart from the cost – it is bloody ugly… looks like something from a supermarket special.

DezB
    Free Member

“Expensive and worth every penny” says the ad. So it must be.
    Postage is quite pricey too..

andyl
    Free Member

I can see the point though – you don’t lose your bar setting if undoing the face plate (admittedly a tape/pen mark on the bars will help that) or have to re-preload your headset if removing it from the steerer and aluminium threads are not ideal for regular use. Also some people are just not good at setting up bars/headsets etc.

It is ugly and expensive though.

Stoner
    Free Member

you don’t lose your bar setting if undoing the face plate

then a cheaper and possibly more elegant solution would be a face plate that clamps to the handlebars so that when it’s removed it retains it’s relative position.

Jerome
    Free Member

then a cheaper and possibly more elegant solution would be a face plate that clamps to the handlebars so that when it’s removed it retains it’s relative position.

Or just stratch a mark on both to line up..

martinxyz
    Free Member

The guy is having a laugh.

If you carry a spacer around the same depth as the stem and slide it over the steerer after slipping the stem off,you can nip the top cap onto the spacer and not have to worry about the fangled stem getting damaged if it happens to burst through the box.

fasthaggis

worth every penny

I am only shocked that it was not one of Tsunami Dave’s items 🙄

At least the ruby grips looked ok.

As andyl said ,pen and bit of tape .

andyl
    Free Member

Jerome – Member

Or just stratch a mark on both to line up..

Rule 1 of highly stressed parts you don’t want to break: don’t put a scratch in them anywhere you are not going to be cutting!

As I said – tape or pen.

Stoner
    Free Member

I always though using a hole punch to mark the seat post height was a winner 😉

njee20
    Free Member

or have to re-preload your headset if removing it from the steerer

Is that really so much effort!?

Solves a non-existent problem IMO.

Macgyver

How do you securely fix a Ti stem to a stainless steel coupling?

mr_mills
    Free Member

Dear mr_mi11s,

Your offer has been declined on the following eBay item:

KGS / Zinn Coupled Titanium Travel Stem 120mm 10 deg

Your offer price: US $1.00

Seller terms: Thank you for your kind offer. I believe it is a little low. Would you be wanting free shippiing at this price as well? 🙂 Seriously, were you wanting to discuss a reasonable offer or were you just wanting to see if I was awake?

BIN price: US $900.00

scottfitz
    Free Member

Just bought one. I have always wanted a stem that cost more than my bike.

andyl
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    I always though using a hole punch to mark the seat post height was a winner

I like to score a scratch all the way round and then run a set of hole punch indents every 1/8″ or so all the way round as it helps with visibility when it gets muddy and you can feel them nicely in the dark 😉

(disclaimer: this is a joke and not to be done!)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘$900 stem’ is closed to new replies.