Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 7stanes, which ones would you do?
  • hughjardon
    Free Member

Going with the wife (who doesn’t cycle) for a 4 day holiday starting Feb 20th and staying just north of Galloway Forest, between Girvan and Dalmellington.

Have had the ok from the Mrs to take my mb, so the question is with only being able to get away with maybe 3 rides which from the following list would you visit?

I’m after cross country rides rather than DH specific or jump park stuff, of 2-3hr duration.

The ones that appear accessible are,
    Glentrool
    Kirroughtree
    Drumlanrig
    Ae
    Dalbeattie
    Mabie

Also any thoughts of what else we can do up there at the end of Feb?

simonralli2
    Free Member

If you have only 3 rides, and like XC, then Kirroughtree definitely, red and black. I don’t know how fit you are, but there are a few ways of doing the red and half the black if you are slightly short on time. I would do the first part of red, short cut to Heartbreak hill, then second half of black and rejoin red to end. You may be superfit though and can do the lot in 3 hours.
    Drumlanring isn’t a stane, but a fantastic place to ride and your good wife may well enjoy a few hours in Thornhill looking at the shops and relaxing in the cafe Thomas Tosh.
    As you only have 4 days in total, you may want to do Dalbeattie. If you are going to Mabie, it has diversions, but there are a few locals who can show you all the very cool more natural hidden stuff.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Avoid Glen trool for biking at all cost ,great walking beautiful spot nice pub ,however the 7 stanes trail there is shocking . Kirroughtree is my trail of choice

iainc

given your location, and having ridden tham all a few times, I’d say Kirroughtree first, then Drumlanrig, then Dalbeattie. You may want to miss Drumlanrig if it’s wet weather, as it gets pretty hard work on the slippy rooots. You might also want to go back to Kirroughtree on the 3rd day !

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I rode both Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree last summer. I’d go back to Kirroughtree at the drop of a hat, Dalbeattie wouldn’t draw my interest unless I was passing the door step.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Glentrool isn’t shocking – it is maybe a 5 – 7 hour ride in the wilderness on fireroads. Also, I had an absolute blast on the small blue route. It is a blue route which really has kids in mind, and is great if you were say taking a 10 year old down some bermy route the first time. But it is also great for big kids too,

After saying that, it is probably not what you are after hence you should not prioritise it above the others.

Drumlanrig is a bit slippery in the wet, but these are very short sections that you can take as per your skill levels : )

Dalbeattie also has some cracking off-piste secrets that locals ride!!

hughjardon
    Free Member

simonralli2, would you know of any gpx files detailing the off-piste bits?

Or should I just follow someone that looks local 😆

hughjardon
    Free Member

Glentrool is out then, even if it is nice I’m not after 5-7hrs on fireroads 🙁

richmtb

Kiroughtree would be my first choice. Probably followed by Drumlanrig and Mabie or Ae.

Was a bit underwhelmed by Dalbeattie, apart from the slab it doesn’t have a lot to offer. Never been to Glentrool

simonralli2
    Free Member

Sorry Hugh I don’t have gpx.

I would come along but have no car so am not really free to travel around.

Kirroughtree you’ll love, Drumlanrig is fantastic. And Dalbieattie is a great blast too, even without some of the local bits.

The other place to ask advice on is the 7 Stanes facebook page – loads of locals are on that.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7stanes/

hughjardon
    Free Member

So far it seems Kirroughtree and Drumlanrig are very strong contenders,

It would appear that Dalbeattie has a diversion on the red at present which means missing ‘Hyper link’ and ‘Rock Don’t roll’ would that greatly affect the ride?

It may not if I could access these off-piste bits 😉

Giallograle

Agree with Simon, but unless it’s raining I prefer Drumlanrig for interesting riding. Lots of natural roots, hairpins and so on in a broadleaf wood. Rick’s bike shop is there. Kirroughtree second, although slightly sanitised and then maybe Mabie. Especially if you can find a local to show you round.

joat

Glentrool Blue is a lot of disengage-brain fun, you could also ride up the property access route and return along the west highland way. Some pushing and carrying would be involved unless you are a super-tech climber/descender though.

ChrisL

I personally wouldn’t bother with Dalbeattie unless you managed to rustle up a local that could show you the stuff that isn’t waymarked. I’d devote most riding time to Kirroughtree and Drumlanrig and would consider Mabie if I wanted a bit more variety.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Of all of those, I’ve only ridden Mabie and Dalbeattie. Mabie was a bit meh in my opinion, but Dalbeattie was ace fun – did the blue in the morning and the red in the afternoon. We’ve got quite a few friends who rave about Kirroughtree though.

pottsathome
    Free Member

kirry is your closest one so you may as well do that. The red and black are good nothing that would worry a decent rider. dalbeattie is a fast course with very few climbs that you notice just a nice xc course. the slab and the twins are fine just a head f##k. ae is running pretty nice just now so its worth a run as well. mabie is detoured for harvesting and trail re routing but is still worth a ride. You may get a nice local to show you some natural stuff. Drumlanrig is awesome but ride the black yeah its slippy and natural and theirs no big jumps and berms but its just so peaceful and a relly nice place to be with lots of singletrack. i would say that though as my garden looks on to the forest. Hope this helps

hughjardon
    Free Member

Is there a recognised way of ‘rustling up a local’ or would I just have to drag one out of a nearby cafe?

I’m not sure I could spark up conversation in the car park, my Mrs says I have an unaproachable quality, I’m not, she says I just have that look?

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Dalbeatie is my home trail
    If you decide you are going there you can call in at my Furniture shop ” A.D.Livingston & Sons,” 183 King Street,Castle Douglas and I will show you some natural stuff on the map

simonralli2
    Free Member

If I can get a lift from Trekster, we could show you say Mabie or Dalbeattie – I am sure he’ll be a long in a bit!

Assuming your wife comes along, if you ride Mabie she can enjoy New Abbey as a bit of sight seeing, and you also have the cafe there after a walk.

pottsathome
    Free Member

The cafes are all shut during the week just now as well.

hughjardon
    Free Member

fotheringtonthomas, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that, Dalbeatie is still a strong contender.

Simonralli2, would you say Dalbeatie with a bit of off-piste trumps Mabie?

As long as the weather’s not too bad the Mrs would do a walk if there marked from the trail centre, it’s what we’ve done before in the Lakes,

pottsathome, yeah I read that somewhere about the trail centre cafe’s being closed midweek.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hugh

That is hard to say. Mabie still has a few nice berms and stuff, with some tricky tight natural off-piste singletrack. I do like Dalbeattie, and it does have some really nice rocky features if that is your bag, it’s not just about the Slab and Terrible Twins. There are a few other still quite scary chutes, and a few thin log sections and other rock challenges too.

If it was me I would be riding Kirroughtree, Drumlanrig (ok weather)/ Ae if it is wet (but then that is just me) and Mabie (with off piste sections). It’s hard to say really – see what others say. Both are great fun but just from a subjective point of view I like Mabie as I can flow a bit more on it whereas I am not such as good technical rider.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

If i was you dont bother asking on here about the Stanes trails as thereare some really poor reviews by folk who ‘know’

Just pick 3 and go for it, check the web site for the trail conditions and what forest work is going on.

All trails have their own special parts and unique features.

You will love any you ride.

Trekster

4 day holiday starting Feb 20th

I just happen to be on days off on those dates 😆

Could be that Drum is a bit far to get to given where you are staying and time to get there etc. But it is a good place for Mrs Hugh to hang about at and Thornhill just down the road has some nice local shops and cafe-cum-art gallery.
    Kirry is the obvious must do 😀

Dalbeattie and Mabie fit into your time frame for a ride and this;

stevewhyte – Member
    If i was you dont bother asking on here about the Stanes trails as thereare some really poor reviews by folk who ‘know’

Just pick 3 and go for it, check the web site for the trail conditions and what forest work is going on.

All trails have their own special parts and unique features.

You will love any you ride.

There are sign posted walks in all the forests. There is a coastal path near Dalbeattie from Rockcliffe or walk from Rockcliffe to Kipford. Easy enough to get into the forest from either place or Colvend.

Also any thoughts of what else we can do up there at the end of Feb?

All depends on what your other interests are?
    Plenty of castles and mills to visit. Bird/wildlife/deer parks to visit. Skating at Dumfries icebowl or a swim at DGone leisure centre in Dumfries. Lots of small towns and villages to visit…Port Patrick, Kirkcudbright(artists town), Castle Douglas(food town), Wigtown(book town). Watersports at Loch Ken( 🙄 )

Some other info here;
    http://eat-sleep-ride.com/dumfries-galloway

This if you fancy making your own chocolates;

Welcome to The Cocoabean Company

hughjardon
    Free Member

Trekster,

Kirry
    Drum (i think it’s worth the drive if there is stuff for the Mrs to do nearby)
    And probably Dalbeattie,

If you and Simon are about and willing to show me round Dalbeattie that would be great, unless your XC whippets?

I’ve done a bit, so hopefully wont hold you up too much, did TransWales 2010 and get out about 3 times a week, however 44yrs old and 15stone so don’t tend to fly uphill!!

As far as other interests were more Birds/Wildlife than shopping, although we do like quaint towns with nik nak type shops?

And as you may have guessed at 15stone I do like food 😀

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hugh

Absolutely no one has ever worried about holding me up 🙂

My style is relaxed/cautious/hop off hop on around tricky bits. But what I lack in skill and speed I make up in good conversation and general shouts of great joy at just whizzing around really 🙂

Trekster

watch the birdies
    my boyhood playground. castle content
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/m/mersehead/directions.aspx
    http://bainlochdeerpark.com/
    http://gallowaywildlife.co.uk/index.php
    http://www.gatehouse-of-fleet.co.uk/millonthefleet.htm

If you and Simon are about and willing to show me round Dalbeattie that would be great, unless your XC whippets?

I’ve done a bit, so hopefully wont hold you up too much, did TransWales 2010 and get out about 3 times a week, however 44yrs old and 15stone so don’t tend to fly uphill!!

however 44yrs old and 15stone so don’t tend to fly uphill!!

Just a youngster then 😉 I have the same issues re weight and hills ❗ 🙄
    No XC whippet and it sounds like you are fitter than us 😉

general shouts of great joy

😆 😆

Although it is just up the road I am not familiar with Drum but can find someone who is hopefully.
    PM Simon or me with a plan and we can work something out.

Drum
    gallery/cafe in Thornhill

simonralli2
    Free Member

I have to admit the final climb at Drumlanrig is a killer and I sometimes miss it out, as I do the final chute which scares me silly.

You have a few options at Drum, and I have ridden most, so plenty of options there.

banginon

Hi Hugh / Simon / John
    I’ll probably be away building stuff at Comrie that week but if not I might be up for a social spin round Drumlanrig or Mabie.

I know what you mean about the TTT climb Simon I often just head back along the riverside and maybe I’ll do a shorter second lap round the bail out instead, but the option’s there if you want it, that’s kindof the who;e point of the way Drum is laid out, you can pick and choose your challenge..

How’s married life treating you? Sorry I didn’t have much time to blether when you were up last time..

Pow’r tea yer pedals

Rik

Trekster

Cheers Rik, that would be good 🙂
    For Hughjhardons info Rik/bangin on is The Man responsible for creating the trails at Drum 😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

How’s married life treating you? Sorry I didn’t have much time to blether when you were up last time..

Well Maria is back in Brazil and I can’t return until May, so I am just here writing a book until then. 😥

But things are OK. Life is by no means normal, a bit tough but the bigger picture is that everything is good 🙂

I’ll try and nab my Mum’s car one day or bag a lift with John and come up for a ride. And I have been doing some fitness riding so I’ll try and make it up the final climb this time.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘7stanes, which ones would you do?’ is closed to new replies.