Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 650B – anybody riding this wheel size?
  • RC
    Free Member

Looking at trying to fit 650B wheels/tyres into existing frame rather than go for new F+F for 29er wheels.

Would be interested to know how 650B wheels ride?

What tyres are available?

RC

trail_rat
    Free Member

do you smuggle woks ? – 650Bs are for wok smugglers only !

clubber
    Free Member

Too right. Don't even attempt if you haven't got a wok up your jumper 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

A mate of mine tried it, I used his wheels for a ride and didn't notice anything over 26"

That plus the task of sourcing rims and tyres put me off.

Sam

Coming from riding 29ers pretty much exclusively the past 5 years or so, trying out some 650s recently really just felt like 26" wheels by comparison. However, I know of people coming from 'the other side' feeling a quite notable difference over 26".

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sheldon has a 650b indyfab, I think he had to spec it with extra tubes and paint it a stupid colour, otherwise people wouldn't notice just how terribly terribly niche it is.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

I ride 650B. I also run dinosaur bikes which offers a modest selection of 650B rims and tyres for those in Uk/Europe who want to try it out. I'm not going to link to the site, don't like overtly plugging things on here but not hard to find.

I don't get on with 29ers being 5'8"(ish) but 650B are a fair bit quicker than 26ers – esp. noticable when riding on the road for example. But you don't suffer any of the geometry modifications, toe-overlap or slower steering/longer wheelbase of 29ers.

29ers are quicker in a straight line, but for trail riding, techincal work & start/stop acceleration – i much prefer 650B.

From my viewpoint – I rode and was happy with 26"ers .. but rode with guys on 29ers and saw how they took off up hills .. so I wanted to get more of an edge – with sacrificing my preferred geometry/riding style or limiting my travel

kimbers

i think what nixon says about 650b all makes sense

id like to try one

but iver never ridden a 29er either

i like the idea of using metric measurements too

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

I had the 1st 650b bike in the UK ( i think? ) rode and raced it for a year on Pacenti Prototype tires, and didnt really notice, that much difference over a 26inch as you do a 26inch to a 29er, if i didnt want a 29er but wanted bigger than a 26, using existing frames, i wouldnt bother building a new set of wheels, id stick a set of Conti Raceking 2.2's or the new Xking in 2.2 on my 26 inch wheels, they are massive!

clubber
    Free Member

http://shop.dinosaurbikes.com/epages/es122126.sf

Is a different wheel size really classed amongst 'the most innovative bicycle products'? 😉

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Is a different wheel size really classed amongst 'the most innovative bicycle products'?

Meh. I generally keep the hyperbole to a minimum 😉

I just fancied giving people the chance to try out 650B without incurring import charges and shipping headaches getting things from the states.

If anyone has any questions about frame-fit or anything else 650B feel free to ask me, I'll try and help you out.

cheers
    dave

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Nixon_fiend

your website is really good, it would have influenced my decision to run 650b, and may when i change my current setup.

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Don't know if it's related, but a chap just this minute called me and asked for a dozen 650B tubes, and what can I do about tyres…?

Gaining popularity by the minute it seems!

sheldona
    Free Member

Yeah I've got one as mentioned above and love it. I've got loads of different tyres* all work well.

Dinasour bikes above can sort you out the rims etc, if you're anywhere near the midlands I can let you have my spare set of wheels for a wee ride to see if they fit.

*Neo Moto 2.35
    Neo Moto 2.1
    Kenda Nevgal
    Racing Ralphs

sofaking
    Free Member

Does this Sheldon bloke actually exist ?
    ive only ever met people who claim to know someone who knows him.

IHN

ive only ever met people who claim to know someone who knows him

That's because no-one will actually admit to knowing him, for fear of the subsequent offer of counselling.

clubber
    Free Member

I've no idea who he is.

Sheldon, Sheldon, who the **** is Sheldon?

riverdog
    Free Member

I've been riding 650b for about 18 months. I'm riding a Sworks hardtail.
    I did have a Niner air 9 but just felt it was slow to accelerate and not so good in tight singletrack. Also I like to ride light wheels and 29" wheels and very light builds = floppy wheels in my experience. I went back to 26" and struggled until I tried 650b.
    For me it gives the best of both worlds. I tried a Giant Anthem recently and liked it but my sworks was still quicker. I use an 80mm Fox fork up front so it keeps the head angle sensible, bottom bracket height went up by 12mm, but it handles real sweet.
    Biggest problem is getting tyres, I have Nevegals for winter but my favourite Pacenti Quasimotos are real hard to find as Kirk Pacenti has sold out at present.
    some pictures here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=532881

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘650B – anybody riding this wheel size?’ is closed to new replies.