Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That would be tight. You’d have approx 4mm clearance either side I reckon, which doesn’t leave much room for a wee bit of tyre wobble or wheel being slightly out of true. You’d maybe be better with a WTB 2.8 tyre, as they’re a wee bit narrower?.

I have a WTB breakout 2.5 on the rear of my spectral, 2.8NN up front, very good combo IMO.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Well I have to add I’m a convert, I really didn’t think I could put the times in that I did today against my full sus, 18 personal bests and by a long way some of them, 27.5 x3 is where it’s at

Running around 14 psi in the nobby nics, the grip is staggering

davros

Thanks for the advice nobeerinthefridge. I’d kind of written the trailblazer off as an option as the tread makes it look like it would really struggle in the perpetual mud of the peaks but I may be wrong. As others have said, it’s a pricey experiment if it doesn’t work well. I may try to be patient instead and wait for more frames/wheels/tyres to become available.

In other news I smashed myself into a tree today so perhaps I should save my money for a skills course…

sheck

@stevedoc was all set to convert my Singular, but by the time I get tyres, wheels, boost fork, I reckon I could almost buy that Torrent… Looks great and exceptional value

infernocup

davros. I’m thinking of trying it out on my High Latitude as well. I think someone commented on this thread a while ago saying they were running a trail blazer with clearance. I don’t mind a bit of slip at the rear so might be tempted to go with a trail blazer out back and a nobby nic on the front.

stevedoc
    Free Member

@Sheck I was a little dubious at first as you only get a 15 minute blast at even and id tried the Vantage rr+ from Monraker a few weeks back and it didn’t seem to clever but the Torrent is a different kettle of fish

For some reason I can never get images to post so best I can do is link http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/13288172/,cracking bike ,I’m just worried the Five wont get touched for a while

davros

infernocup, you’ll have to update us on this thread if you go for it. I’d be interested to see how you get on. I wouldn’t see bottom bracket height as being a problem and if there is sufficient clearance at the rear I’m sure it would be a great ride.

akira

Just built up a Cove Hustler 29 with 3″ tyre on the front and 2.8″ on the back. Looks pretty cool but not been ridden in snger yet.

danielgrafik
    Free Member

jamcorse – Member
    Has anyone put a table together of workable combinations: tyre-rim-fork-frame? I think it would be a great help, might have to volunteer…

Please do! 😀

Sorry for not reading all 19+ pages, but I was thinking of dabbling with some 2.8 NN’s, and som advice would be great…:
    – Has anyone tried them on a Nukeproof scout (2015)? I think I’ve got more than a cm of clearance, all the way round the rear tire. (which is a Conti MK 2.4./Rock Razor 2.35)
    – Is there a minimum rim width that makes sense not to go under? (I think my current setup is 24mm ID)?
    – 2014 RS Revelation fork (non-boost), is there enough room? Current 2.3 DHF has quit alot of clearance too…

akira

There was a table on mtbr with approx sizes of different rim and tyre combinations. Was in the middle of many pages so apologies for not finding it.

danielgrafik
    Free Member

Just found a post on bikerumor where…

According to Schwalbe, the tread patterns are the same but have been optimized for a better contact patch and the tires are best suited for a 45mm rim for the 2.8? and a 50mm rim for the 3.0?

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/04/19/soc15-schwalbe-joins-in-on-plus-sized-fun-with-fat-nobby-nic-and-rocket-ron-tires/

scotroutes

I fitted the Rebas to the Pact today (on the second attempt – I forgot I’d not fitted a SFN). They are currently set up for 120mm travel and the frame was only really designed for 100mm but this was a suck-it-and-see exercise anyway. As a result, the front end is marginally higher, but it doesn’t feel bad.

Steering etc is all fine. Front is at 16psi, rear was at 15. If anything, the bike felt immediately more agile on twisty singletrack, but the rear end seemed to feel quite harsh. I reckoned I was being less “subtle” with my riding than with rigid forks and just battering through more. I let a couple of psi out the front (so around 14psi) and quite a bit more out of the rear (around 10-11psi now). That was much better. The front end was still fine and the rear was much happier. No noticeable increase in drag/rolling resistance either.

I’ll probably run it like this for a while, possible re-fitting the FBN on the front if it remains relatively dry.

Free Member

Davros, I have High latitude running 650b plus

I’m running a 2.8nn on a superstar D25mm internal rim. Works well but I don’t think any wider rim would work with nobby. 29mm internal might with a ralph. The trailblazer worked with a Hugo rim but changed to nn for the winter mud. Running 3inch on the front on a Hugo but that’s in a maverick fork.

takisawa2

Don’t think I have 80mm on my 1st gen SIR, & I’m running a 2.8 TB on a 45mm Dually. I’m sure it was actually tighter when I initially mounted it to a 23mm rim. Grip wise I’ve not had any problems through winter. The Knard up front struggles, but back is fine.

davros

Thanks sticky and takisawa. I’m still tempted to give it a try with some halo vapour wheels, although it appears only the 30mm internal ones are currently available and I wonder if the 45mm would make more sense.

Got any pics of your set up sticky? Has it transformed the ride? Obviously it’s quite an expensive experiment so I’m wondering how much difference it would make. I could try the set up on my camber evo too but I suspect it would make the bottom bracket too low.

Free Member

Can’t really compare the ride to 29er wheels as I went straight to 650+. For reference the bb height is 312mm rear axle 370mm. Drop me an email and I’ll sort some pics

ryu1720
    Free Member

CRC doing the WTB Trailboss 3.0 at £19.99 has anyone tried these out yet ??

infernocup

Took the plunge at the weekend. WTB i35 rims front and rear in the high latitude with a singular swift fork on the front. Went with a trailblazer on the back and a 3.0 nobby nick on the front. Pleasantly surprised how much clearance there was in the frame.
    Went for the first proper ride tonight, mixture of Man made trails and some natural woodland bits. Initial thoughts are that it’s really good fun. Handling is a bit more playful than before and grip was brilliant. Especially noticeable on some of the slippy man made corners under trees where it never really does out. It was a bit bouncy in places so I think i need to experiment with the pressures to see if I can find a sweet spot. Want expecting miracles fully rigid though. So far so good, glad I have it a go.

boxelder

I’ve a 3″ Trailboss on the way. Will let you know.

boxelder

3″ WTB Trailboss – few mm wider than Nobby Nic 2.8″ (surprise….), so not enough clearance on my Solaris. Shame, as it looks a great grippy but fast plus tyre and went up tubelessly, without sealant, straight away.
    May try it on the front with Trailblazer rear.

Rik
    Free Member

What’s the actual weight of the wtb trailboss?

sillyoldman

It’s quite porky, but quite fragile too. It’s the only Plus tyre I’ve written off with a pinch hole right next to the bead. Used Maxis, Innova, and Vittoria other than these WTBs.

Shame as it’s a nice tyre, though did feel squirmy when pushed.

A beefier sidewall would help both the squirminess and the durability issues.

cokie

Just deciding on wheels for the Stooge.
    Would the Hope Tech DH wheels with 28mm internal make use of b+ tyres or is it worth spending more to go wider?

boxelder

There are some Halos in the classifieds – XD driver/freehub though

Alpkit/Sonder Love Mud jobs?

ianpv
    Free Member

Just fitted a trailblazer on a wtb i29 in the back of a stumpjumper for 29er (2012) with loads of room to spare. Looks fun with pike and 2.8 NN on the front…

cokie

Stooge Mk2 will take i35s on Spec Groundcontrol 3.0” with lots of mud clearance front and back.

sheck

After months of musing, weeks of shopping, days of building, in a few hours, my Buzzard+ takes it’s first flight
    [/url]Untitled by heckscher@btinternet.com, on Flickr[/img]

sheck

Plenty of room for a Rocket Ron 3.0 on i35s in the rear… Front is a Boost Yari

rOcKeTdOg

That looks sweet!

Northwind

Does anyone know what fits in a Remedy 29? I can only find info for the carbon one but I have a plebby Remedy 8 from 2014. Clearance doesn’t look massive in the rear but then it doesn’t look massive in the Pike either…

akira

Have a look over on mtbr, lots of discussions on what will and wont fit in a remedy.

Northwind

I can only find it for the boost models… (and the same fuel ex pops up over and over…) Can you help me out?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Haven’t read the whole thread so don’t know if this has been covered so…..
    After demoing a Specialized Stunpy Fatty and having a giggle me and a mate pondered over whether we could convert my Transition Bandit 29er to 650+?
    The short answer is yes- got some DTSwiss 551 rims and built them onto a pair of Hope hubs that were kicking about.
    We also used WTB Trailblazer 2.8 tyres as not sure about clearance but there’s a little extra space at the rear. Fork is a Pike so more leeway there possibly.
    If I were to do it again I’d try a more aggressive front as the Pike fork should take a 3.0 I think-possibly a Nobby Nic or a Purgatory.
    Tyre pressure was 18psi but I think that might come down a little-maybe 15 psi
    Took it to hamsterley on Saturday and it’s a hoot. Had a few pedal strikes but I mainly think that was me just being
    careless and a bit more concentration should sort that out.
    Going to keep it as it is for the summer but might convert it back to a 29er for the winter-we shall see.
    Cheers
    Steve

akira

Got a 29er Cove and running 27.5+, trailblazer on i35 on the rear and purgatory on scraper on the front with boost pike. Clearance is okay on the rear, pkenty of measurements on mtbr so you can measure your current bike and see what you can squeeze in.

frogstomp

Toying with the idea of switching my Stooge from a 29+ (LB 31.6mm rims, 3.0 Chronicle / 2.4 Ardent) to a B+ setup (DT Swiss XM 551).

Thinking of 3.25 / 2.8. Are there any other 3.25ish options out there, or just the Vee Fatty?

Will I notice the difference?

singlespeedstu

Does anyone know what fits in a Remedy 29?

I’m sure I tried my Scraper/Trailblazer combo in the rear and it had enough room to work ok.

scotroutes

Thinking of 3.25 / 2.8. Are there any other 3.25ish options out there, or just the Vee Fatty?

The FatBnimble proclaims itself to be 3.5 but it’s no wider than the 3″ Nobby Nic

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I stuck the 29er wheels back on for Tuesday nightride this week, as there’s a new track been built nearby, and the bottom is pretty sloppy, thinking that I’d better get used to riding the slop as it’s Tweedlove time soon.

Jesus it felt squirrely, the B+ wheels are going back on, pronto!. Strangely the 26″ 2.4 Chunky on my Yeti still feels good….

garykirk60
    Free Member

Hi All

I have a Surly Karate Monkey which I run SS during the winter. I have just converted to 27.5+ and a 1 x 9 for summer.

The difference is amazing, grip levels are fantastic and as it is a rigid frame and fork the comfort level has increased.

Here is the spec for the wheels:

Rims: DT Swiss XM551 40mm
    Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.8 (Front), WTB Trailblazer 2.8 (Rear)

I originally had a Rocket Ron on the rear but it was a little too tight and caught on the frame when out of the saddle.

I mostly ride around Epsom and the Downs and run the tyres at 20psi

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.