Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Will measure it, on paper it is over 100g lighter than the ground control too.

scotroutes

FatBNimbles on Scrapers and 2×11.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/B1TUgb]DSC_0331[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

wiggles
    Free Member

Got my nobby nic, no box and has a one deformed nob (don’t laugh) so think it is probably a factory reject or something but for £29 I’m not to bothered seems reasonable weight will try and get it on the front today.

cokie

The nobby nic looks good! Could be a good all round tyre.
    What rim are you putting this on? Any chance of some measurements once fitted?

wiggles
    Free Member

Will be on my 38mm rival. Will measure when it’s on. Will take measurements for ground control and purgatory on the same rim too.

cokie

Brilliant! Cheers Wiggles.
    I’ve got some TB’s but would like something more aggressive for the front/winter.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ll report back on how the purgatory compares to the TB after tonight’s ride… (I’ve done one ride on it but sod’s law all the technical stuff I rode was dry…)

I reckon it’ll be better but I still don’t think it’ll be like a proper mud tyre. Would like to be wrong.

ianpv
    Free Member

Very interested to know if the 2.8 nobbly nic is going to fit in a rev – the trailblazer is pretty poor as a front tyre in the wet.

I’ve had three rides on them on my solaris now, and have lost the front wheel every time (I actually crashed last night!). I also lose the back a fair bit but that is fun for the most part 🙂 Have settled on around 12 PSI front and 14 rear, and love the feel of the bike, but the lack of cornering ability is a let down. I like the concept of B+, but am now wondering whether I’ll have to do it properly (boost fork, new hub, 3″tyre) to get the most out of it.

nemesis
    Free Member

Go rigid and it’s less of an issue 🙂

I agree on the TB though – works nicely in the dry but no good in mud.

roverpig

Yes, same problems here with the TB on a Solaris. I enjoyed it in the dry but the lack of traction in the wet has sent me back to my 29er with it’s nobby nic / hans dampf setup.

cartwheels

Wiggles,
    Could you measure the tyre pulled flat bead to bead?
    Interested to see how these size up.
    Thanks

ryu1720
    Free Member

@alexh it certainly is just that.
    Felt extremely confidence inspiring last night in the muck and slop .And even though there’s very little clearance in the back ive still not had any frame rubs . The ground control feels a lot draggier compared to the TB but i have no complaints about the purgatory. Might just leave it like this for the winter and wait till a few more manufacturers release their efforts .And if its any help to anybody both the Purgatory and Ground Control 3.0 measured up at 2.9 inches on a 25mm internal rim.

wiggles
    Free Member

On my 38mm rims my nobby nic measures around 75mm and looks like I should have some more grip! Same size as the ground control but much more aggressive. The ground control is great for the back thouybut might as well sell my spare if someone wants it.

ianpv
    Free Member

That looks good – I hope the 2.8 comes up smaller as that’ll never fit in RS non boost forks like mine, by the looks of it…

wiggles
    Free Member

Luckily my boost rebas have plenty of clearance. Really want some 34’s though…

ianpv
    Free Member

hmm just read on mtbr that the 2.8 NN is a comparable size to a trailblazer. May have to preorder from the germans…

cokie

As it turns out the TB on the i35 fits in the back of a T129 SCR offering slightly more clearance than a 2.2 beaver on 23mm 29er rim. Who’d a thought it 😀 !

wiggles
    Free Member

The nic is sweet!

No loss of grip at all on super sloppy trails today, doesn’t roll bad either. Had major issues with the ground control on the rear though… Gone past the limit of how wet it can handle even as a rear so might go for a purgatory or hold out for the schwalbe

mattjg
    Free Member

As it turns out the TB on the i35 fits in the back of a T129 SCR offering slightly more clearance than a 2.2 beaver on 23mm 29er rim. Who’d a thought it !

Wow. Win!

hmm just read on mtbr that the 2.8 NN is a comparable size to a trailblazer. May have to preorder from the germans…

Where from?

ryu1720
    Free Member

@mattig
    I found some showing in stock at bike-components.de, ordered last night so if you want to wait till the end of the week I could put up some dimensions. I’m kinda hoping they are somewhere between a trail blazer and a ground control.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d appreciate that thanks. Hoping it’ll fit in a Pike on an i35 rim.

singlespeedstu

Just fitted a Nobby Nic 2.8 to a WTB Scraper rim and it measures 70mm at the wides point. So it’s the same size as the Trail Blazer.
    I’ll get a pic of it posted up soon.

scotroutes

Cheers. Feedback on performance in the slop would be appreciated too. Might be an alternative to the FBN

ryu1720
    Free Member

So ordered my NN 2.8 from Germany on Sunday evening and they turned up today in proper schwalbe boxes. popped them on and went out for a quick bimble around my local trails in deepest darkest dampest Cornwall .First thing was clearance, definitely a lot better in the codeine than the specialized offerings ,they came up at 69mm tread width on a 25mm id rim.
    The most surprising thing about them was how well they rolled very impressive for what looks like a quite aggressive tread pattern .Grip wasn’t quite as good as the purgatory but very close (think that might of been pressures) Also with the tread blocks being so far apart it did seem to handle the slop particularly well .
    And finally the weight a definite improvement here the bike felt a lot more responsive. but we will have to see how those side walls hold up over the next few weeks !!

boxelder

Where in Germany?

ryu1720
    Free Member

Where in Germany?

bike-components.de

Gotama
    Free Member

How does the outer diameter measure up on the 2.8 schwalbe plus compared to a 29er tyre, 2.35 schwalbe for arguments sake?

mattjg
    Free Member

Nic ordered, thanks.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Just collected today, but rain stopped any chance of a ride later. Also just received a 2.8 Nobby Nic, so will get that fitted on the back, and hopefully out on the weekend to give it a blast.

cokie

That looks ace! Is it a Kingdom?
    Annoyingly I’ve already set my TBs up tubeless. I’ll order some NNs and see how I get on with the TBs.

Gotama
    Free Member

Thomasgeorge – lovely bike.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Cokie, yes, the vendetta boost. It started as a bespoke, but Chris at Kingdom like the idea, so available to anyone, and he has one for himself. I got the TB as an experiment to see what would go in standard forks, and whilst they did fit, it was very tight, and no chance of anything bigger, so decided to get the ‘boost’ ones fitted. I tried the purgatory 3in in the rear, but also too close for comfort, so the NN it is for the moment. Like to try a Maxxis Rekon+ whenever they are released.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Too many posts on here to go through, but has there been any posts about converting a stumpy expert evo 29er to 27.5+ ?? I’ve seen a post on another forum and it seemed ok as the rear end is fairly wide.

boxelder

My TB on the rear coped pretty well with last weekend in and around Aviemore – wet, mud, snow, snowy mud, muddy snow.

NNs on the way now though.

Gotama
    Free Member

For anyone wondering about converting a 2Souls QH I found this image of a slimjim with b+. Can’t read German though!

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/wir-warten-auf-b.750243/page-10

honourablegeorge

Anyone got a pic of clearance for a 2.8 Nic in a 29er Pike?

thepodge
    Free Member

Someone needs to put all this infor into a spreadsheet so people can cross reference tyre width depending on what rubber and what rim

nemesis
    Free Member

off you go… 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

haha, my frame wont fit b+ so I have only a passing interest, someone who needs this info could do it better justice.

bigh
    Free Member

Got a purgatory control 3.0 on scraper rim, just fits A Pike 29er. Had to remove mudhugger though. Still awaiting Maxxis Rekon if I’m honest. Will give purgatorys a good test on Sunday and post my feelings.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.