Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • £500 on speakers? Mental?
  • Tiger6791

Feels wrong, but want!

scaredypants

£500 ?

OK for the garage I suppose

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes you could buy some forks for that so hey think on

BUY THEM[/B]

Tiger6791

My finger is on the button

mboy
    Free Member

All things are relative, and depends on how much you’ll appreciate them.

If you only ever listen to music in the car, on an iPod or over computer speakers, it may seem excessive. But thats the equivalent of people who only see a bike as a form of transport, and would view anything over £200 on a bike as a rip off.

£500 is entry level in HiFi terms! If you think bikes are expensive, check out top end HiFi speakers… Forget the “you could have bought a car for that” comments about your hike bike, “you could have bought a house for that” is more appropriate!

Tiger6791

Always amuses me, I like my music, and I’m now at an age where I could spend a fortune on HiFi.

Thing is there ave been a couple of occasion where I’ve noticed my 5 year old daughters hearing is much sharper than mine.

Not that mine is bad just hers is better

Ironic when you get the money to spen ££££ on HiFi your probably not going to be able to hear it swell as you could 10 years ago 🙂

jun9lebunnie
    Free Member

I’ve got that package rigged up to my tv, I’d recommend the larger minx speaker for your centre channel. Nice sound, very minimal which worked for me as the wife didn’t want speakers on the walls. That sub kicks out a surprising amount of bass for its size, 2 passive subs on the sides of it and an active on the front.

mboy
    Free Member

Thing is there ave been a couple of occasion where I’ve noticed my 5 year old daughters hearing is much sharper than mine.

That’s a fact of life sadly! Even if you really look after your hearing, the older you get the lower the upper frequency threshold of your hearing becomes. Your 5 year old can probably hear 20KHz or higher comfortably. Dunno how old you are, but you’ve probably lost 2-3KHz off your upper threshold.

Tiger6791

Only 35 (work in IT, bit overweight, drive an Audi) same as everyone else here

Tiger6791

jun9lebunnie – Member
    I’ve got that package rigged up to my tv

Worth the money? Also thinking of the Boston set up £300 cheaper 😯

bigdan6
    Free Member

Well, I’m close;

Only 31 (work near IT, nearly overweight, drive a Seat) same as everyone else here

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting point. When they say ‘we tested X against using a panel of listeners’ I’d like to know the age distribution of the panels. And I’d like to repeat the test with 20 year olds and 60 year olds.

moniex
    Free Member

no

mboy
    Free Member

Speak for yourself! I defy stereotypes… 😉

Did a tone generator test in class a few months ago, I’m 31, a “mature” student if you will. My upper limit of hearing has come down to about 18KHz now (remember doing the same at 16 and I could hear 21Khz!), my classmates all of who are 18-21 could all still hear up to near enough 20KHz.

lilesy
    Free Member

worth every penny when you pick instruments out you havent heard before on an album youve listend too for 5 years

CHB

£500 is not excessive. I would say spend on the best speakers you can afford and ones you love. If you get the ones that you adore then they will stay with you for decades. My b&ws are 20 and 10 y ears respectively and get used every day ( mainly for mw3 sadly).

Cletus

I would prefer the KEF KHT2005 HD1 for the same price (purely cost they look way cooler)

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I just bought a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 10.3 floor standers. I have a pair of 10.1 bookshelf speakers in my office which I love, so I thought the 10.3s would be a good bet for home.

I have to say, the sound quality for <£200 is amazing, noticeable better than the 10.1s for the detail in the bass.

I’m not a fan of lots of bass, but as lilesy says, you pick up every nuance of every instrument, particularly every drum beat at the lower end rather than just hearing a background thud.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL choosing hifi purely on looks.

£500 isn’t a lot.

DezB
    Free Member

Worth the money?

Don’t be ridiculous. But that’s not the point, is it.

freeandsingle
    Free Member

They don’t look that great to be honest, perhaps try to have a listen and compare to something like Monitor Audio Radius Series

craigxxl
    Free Member

Spend the extra and get these instead. I have these matched up to my Kef Coda 10’s and they’re very impressive for their price.

geetee1972
    Free Member

These aren’t even the most expensive speakers you could throw your money at:

The $200,000 Wilson Alexandria XLF

ourmaninthenorth

I remember listening to some £30k Dali’s once. They were about 7 feet tall….

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Don’t waste your money on those.

Get on to AV Forums classifieds and buy a decent 2nd hand set up. For £500 you could get an awesome speaker system.

Oh, I’m 46 but when I had a hearing test a couple of years ago I was told my hearing was “excellent, well above average”. Not for my age but in general.

(That’s the reasoning I use for having about £10k worth of home cinema kit and £5k or so of stereo system anyway 😳 )

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

The thread title must be missing a zero.

Milkie
    Free Member

£500 is not a lot of money for a speaker system… However I wouldn’t buy Cambridge Audio at £500, take a look at KEF & B&W systems around the same price.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m sure those Wilsons sound great but surely looks have to count for something when they’re that big – they look like a 60s high rise.

jun9lebunnie
    Free Member

Worth the money? Also thinking of the Boston set up £300 cheaper

I’m really impressed tbh, I’m a bit of an audiophile and am totally surprised by the kick and clarity this speaker package has. £500 for 5 speakers and a pre-amped sub isn’t a great deal of money but based around a typical size uk lounge this system is more than adequate. I am running mine off a pioneer receiver and it’s remained composed at all times (not that ive turned the volume to max ever)

The Boston Acoustics caught my eye also, I’ve run these speakers in my cars for years and love them. I didn’t choose the boston system as they were slightly larger and the center speaker wasn’t very meaty. The cambridge audio speakers you can buy separately so you could start off with 2 satellites and the sub and add to it as needed.

The closer for me was that the cambridge audio came with a dual voltage control and I’m moving to the US in the future.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Make sure you point them in a South-South-West direction to compensate for the random fluctuation of the earth’s magnetic field or they’ll sound just awful.

richc
    Free Member

you can get around that issue by positioning magnets 17.1344525612mm from your ears though.

instanthit
    Free Member

Bought a pair of B&W’s 10 years ago for similar price. Can still make the letterbox shake when turned up, money well spent.

Tiger6791

Can still make the letterbox shake

I hope that’s not a euphemism? 😯

toby1

Yeah my sub cost nearly that a couple of years ago.

I’m always amazed by people spending a fortune on the TV and then scrimping on the sound quality.

Having said that I am apparently a little fussy about this sort of thing.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘£500 on speakers? Mental?’ is closed to new replies.