Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 180 total)
  • 5 weeks ago I was 14.5st…
  • boblo
    Free Member

Blimey….

mikey3
    Free Member

Wonder how many calories solo burned up practising that hard to be an arse,he should sell diet plans online,who knows it might take off.

duckman

Well done op,pity you mislead us so much on your reasons for gaining weight! 🙄

From reading his posts I take it solo took his user name from the number of people who turned up to his childhood parties/facebook friends/non work numbers in his phone?

GrahamS

I’ve also lost over two stone and a half stone (though over a much longer period than the OP) using the “unscientific” method of Move More, Eat Less.

And I was likewise congratulated by Solo telling me I hadn’t really lost weight, that I’d done immeasurable harm to my body, and that I’d soon pile it back on.

Well.. still here, still feeling good, still getting compliments, still buying new clothes.

Sorry for not fitting your dataset either.

I’m quite certain that it IS more complex than “Eat Less, Move More” (the human body is a complex thing after all) but that simple guideline does seem to work for a remarkable number of people.

Moreover, I have seen some pretty convincing evidence that alternative diets turn people into belligerent trolls, so I think I’ll keep munching those carbs. Mmmmmm… carbs.

kristoff
    Free Member

Congratulation to OP. that’s a great loss, hope you’re feeling and enjoying the benefits.

flap_jack
    Free Member

problem IME is when you stop doing the long rides, the weight comes back with extras.

3 years ago I rode to Rome. Started at 93kg, ended at 86kg – lost 7 kg in 2 weeks.

Now 100kg and struggling to shift it. Sadly, haven’t time to ride 100 miles a day…

trail_rat
    Free Member

and has your diet hasnt changed at all ….

if you eat in excess then of course your going to gain weight – its just that 100miles a day brought your original diet into a deficit.

DavidB
    Free Member

Is solo fred?

Bear
    Free Member

Eat less of the bad stuff, more of the good stuff, run, bike, swim, walk, or whatever you like more and portion control…..

Pretty certain that would work for most people who made that change to their life for their entire lives.

No scientific basis of course but less energy in, more energy expended must be a good thing, especially as energy can’t be created just converted….

A fantastic effort by Glup, and Solo is being a complete arse and I suspect is an armchair expert with no qualifications as he hasn’t posted to prove them.

Seems tends to imply an impression rather that a statement of fact. Get over yourself.

flap_jack
    Free Member

and has your diet hasn’t changed at all …

Indeed so. Hence agreeing with the ‘Move a bit more and eat a bit less’. Struggling to shift it’ of course means ‘Struggling to eat less’. Mrs flap_jack currently in kitchen making cake. I can’t disappoint her by not eating it, can I…

trail_rat
    Free Member

you could distribute the wealth – as i just explained to a colleague whos brought in sausage butties his mrs made him for today 😀

iamroughrider
    Free Member

well done losing weight. I suppose what works for one person may be different to what works for another.

gonefishin
    Free Member

No scientific basis of course but less energy in, more energy expended must be a good thing, especially as energy can’t be created just converted….

I’ve never understood why people think this is unscientific. It’s just a lay description of the laws of thermodynamics. Granted it’s missing a few subtleties but unscentific it is not.

hora
    Free Member

Well done OP 😀

sputnik
    Free Member

Q: How low can you go?

A: S o l o

bearnecessities

or that weight loss in general is solely about moving more and eating less. Those who cling to their pitchforks have failed to read this or have selectively failed to read this.

http://singletrackworld.com/members/solo/profile/

Name solo
    About Me Eat better, move around a bit

mogrim

I’ve also lost over two stone and a half stone (though over a much longer period than the OP) using the “unscientific” method of Move More, Eat Less.

I’ve lost weight while eating more, which is probably even more unscientific 🙂 Training for a marathon does that, apparently.

OP: well done, it’s a great feeling when you start needing to buy new trousers, and you run out of holes on your belt.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Is this thread for real? I think if users had their age against their username we’d pretty much see the issue. 8 year olds arguing with grown men. Right I’m off out in the sunshine to maintain my weight.

hitman
    Free Member

But its easier for the lazy to have a pop at someone who has spent their own money on books and read up on the subject.
    Aaaah, a self-taught expert then?

Isn’t this how Einstein became an expert?

thegreatape
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    or that weight loss in general is solely about moving more and eating less. Those who cling to their pitchforks have failed to read this or have selectively failed to read this.
    http://singletrackworld.com/members/solo/profile/

Name solo
    About Me Eat better, move around a bit

Good work 🙂

Also, Solo looks like Voldemort

GrahamS

Also, Solo looks like Voldemort

The horror…the..horror

MrsToast
    Free Member

Congratulations Glupton! You’ve lost weight, haven’t done any bizarre diets and you feel better for it.

oldgit
    Free Member

5 weeks ago I was 13st. Then I went on holiday, drank lots of beer, ate lots of food and did no exercise. Now I’m 14st. Probably just a coincidence though.

That’ll be that foreign air.

BTW I lost over a stone over winter. I didn’t cut out any foods (so if I ate a whole pack of Tunnocks that a rep left) I’d just reduce my next meal. Rode shitloads though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well done glupton

Solo – Member

what I like most about the morons on STW is …….

You are displaying a stunning lack of self-awareness Solo if you are accusing others of being morons.

As your repeated use of laughing emoticons and hugely arrogant, judgmental, and childish, ridicule,
    on this thread, clearly betrays.

Toasty

Bizarrely, the only health professionals I’ve ever spoken with, namely doctors and gym staff have been strong advocates of this “eat less, move more” diet the OP used.

Maybe whitepapers don’t still get written on it as it’s painfully obvious and must have been known for a good few thousand years. Come to think of it, I’ve noticed a distinct lack of recent evidence that the earth isn’t flat. Makes you wonder?

RustySpanner

Well done Glupton.
    I’ve adopted the same method & lost half a stone in 14 days.
    Good innit?

More importantly, does your aunty know you’re doing 300km audaxes on her tricycle?

summitchilterns
    Free Member

OP – Well done great effort!! 🙂

Solo – you have indeed come across as a right twunt… Oh well, some on every forum!…

sadexpunk

well done mate, good effort. can be hard to be disciplined sometimes cant it, but worth it in the end 😀

scaredypants

on the off-chance that you return to this:

Solo – Member
    Just seems a shame, and a teeny tiny bit condescending, to do so

Well, then like most here, and not surprisingly so. You’ve missed the parts where I’ve congratulated the OP on their weight loss, but only disputed that its only fat thats been lost No, not at all – I’m satisfied that you congratulated the OP but, on challenging the “science” of what and how he’s achieved, all you’ve done is imply that he’s wrong without making any attempt to state the correct position or, god forbid, actually help anyone to achieve something similar/better

bamboo
    Free Member

Who else wonders how much of a hangover Solo has this morning? 🙂

Btw, congrats to the OP

epicyclo

I’ve noticed that most of the people who don’t believe in “eat less, move more” are fat bastards.

Basic premise -“That may work in practice, but it doesn’t fit my theory, therefore it cannot be true, bring me another doughnut.”

jam-bo

What. No idave? How can this be!!!

Bear
    Free Member

But I believe it and I’m 18st!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i get what solos saying tbh , its just the way he says it.

he is saying that if i exercise and diet to lose weight THEN return to my sedentary life style my body will still be in fight mode and pile on the pounds incase i decide to do it again – there are heaps and heaps of studies proving this.

it just proves that moving more and eating less is a lifestyle not a quick fix – how it should be.

yoyo dieting is less healthy than just being healthy shocker.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

This is the thing.

The most important part of weight-loss.

Its diet & lifestyle. I don’t mean dieting, things like weight-watcher et al are a con.

You have to have a more concerted effort towards weight-loss rather than just cutting out the crap & eating salads for a month.

Well done OP! Now for the hard part – keeping it up..

pingu66
    Free Member

Yes we all agree the hard part is keeping it off, having lost weight regained it etc myself as I think most people who have put a few pounds on have been through this.

Changing your lifestyle and realising where you made mistakes in the past, certainly for me its when I stop training I do not moderate my diet accordingly.

However most if not all of what Solo said in this thread was for effect, rather than coming across as in any way intelligent he contradicted what is said in his profile, challenged the OP and made himself out to be the moron he seem to see on STW.

We all have our moments but this forum would be a lot better place if more people acted like adults. A healthy debate is fine and we can all agree to disagree, there are some great professionals on here and some highly intelligent individuals who offer help and support and generally good advice.

If the OP had been of lesser character he may have been reaching for the fridge after that onslaught.

We should be supportive of a fellow STWers as we have seen great threads on here when people have needed help and support. As most have done, congratulating the OP on an achievement and also encouraging him to keep it off.

STW is a great place with a wealth of talent, unfortunately there are a few who let it down. Good to see though that the collective have pointed out the error of his ways.

big_scot_nanny

Has anyone else (sorry, not read all posts) made the assumption that Solo = TandemJeremy?

Interesting use of alternative log-in? similar argumelympian style of the legend himself?

And he would’ve got away with it if it wasn’t for….. 🙂

To glupton – top effort that man.

I am now 110 kilos after being 125 when I made a concerted effort at sustainable eating habits that matched my exercise, which was back in September. Slow and steady, but seems to be sticking.(cutting out a glass goblet of wine every evening was the most recent big breakthrough)

Keep it up, I am struggling at the mo, but the lure of more riding, and nice fresh veggies from local farm, is helping.

Kev

glupton1976
    Free Member

Solo is not TJ.

TJ was looking in on the thread last night and told me that he didnt think much of Solo’s argument.

big_scot_nanny

🙁

*goes back to proper work, not Columbo style sleuthing* 🙂

alaslas
    Free Member

Yes, as good as it is for the OP to have lost that extra weight, the real test is in making sure it doesn’t creep back on. Weight loss has to be done over the long term and in the context of sustained lifestyle change for that loss to remain permanent. Rebound from rapid weight loss could see you putting on more than you lost. So, good luck and more power to the OP!

Though there are extremely complex reasons for the debates going on in dieticians’ labs, for the layperson it’s not bad advice to advocate the dictum move more and eat less rubbish.

As with any unhealthy foods, the same goes for any new scientifically-based weight loss trend – take it in moderation! E.g. eat less sugar, fewer carbs, less alcohol. Stay within healthy calorie limits. Exercise more.

But really, at the end of the day, we’re all different. What works for one human body doesn’t work for others. Solo should probably apologise for his one-man flame-war, even on that basis.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘5 weeks ago I was 14.5st…’ is closed to new replies.