Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • 4x4s in the snow
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

im talking propper 4x4s

my landlord has text me and told me we have 2 foot + of snow now at my house …

ive done 4×4 driving courses in deep mud and water but never snow – realistically is your average shogun/patrol/cherokee style 4×4 (not these newer style SUV faux 4x4s with low profiles etc) going to be any better at negotiating that level of unplowed snow ? or is a set of chains on my pug partner van (high ground clearance) a cheaper and just as capible option

wont be home for a couple of weeks anyway but this is november and we have loads – i anticipate the big thaw and a shit load more mid to late january – and we live in the sticks

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’ve just been out in some pretty severe conditions in my Berlingo with snow tyres on the front and was once again blown away by how capable it was. No trouble at all negotiating a good 8″ of virgin snow on a bit of an incline. Throw some chains in the mix and as long as you are a competent snow driver you’ll get a long way.

A decent FWD car on good snow tyres can be at least as capable as a big 4WD on duff road tyres IME.

2′ of snow might be a bit of a challenge if you’re the first one ploughing through it though…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2ft is bit deep, you’d need to either be diggin it out or get a farmer with a snow plough to clear it. either that or some serios sized tyers that’ll float over it, but you’ll be stuffed once you get to a normal road (handling with be shit) and they wont be cost effective, probably cheeper taking a month off work than buying 4x propper snow tyres and wheels.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I had no trouble at all with 50cm or so of fresh snow last year, also did some pretty steep hills, like 1 in 4.

We have a nissan X-Trail with decent Grabber AT2 tyres

Kuco

Loved my L200 in the snow last year never struggled once, but remember you still have to take it steady all because your got 4×4 doesn’t mean it isn’t going to slide.

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh yeah kuco im aware of that

all i want to try to ensure is i can get out of my house !

ive never had an issue driving in snow before even in my old car with wide alloys which was shit in snow but still never got stuck 😉

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I would also mention that before I changed the tyres, I actually got stuck on an icy car park once with the original tyres.

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve just been out for a walk and the streets are lovely and peaceful. No cars, and particularly no 4x4s. Instead there are kids sledging and building snowmen, folk out for a Sunday stroll and instead of noisy engines there’s just the sound of folk laughing and enjoying themselves.

Most pleasant Sunday of the year so far.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve driven through bumper deep snow in my Shogun. A lot depends on the type of snow. If I were you and te distances werent to far, I’d park at the end of the drive and walk up to the house.

Two of the best cars in snow were a 2CV and a Mini with proper snow tyres. Both were unstoppable.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsvcbrJ7-18[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmLJ19EiTt4[/video]

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Enough drag from deep snow and you’ll still end up spinning wheels, in which case you’re stuck. Take all the usual dig yourself out paraphenalia.

trail_rat
    Free Member

without a doubt – now if only i could bring old bessy – an old hilux we have out here !

I have a 4×4 pick-up with road tyres (Bridgestone Dueller HT’s) and it easily gets where 2wd cars etc don’t in the snow. In fact my pick-up in 2wd is absolutely awful (but good fun being RWD).

Saying that though, push it in corners, brake too hard, or generally drive like a tool and it can be lost almost as easily as any other car. Driven sensibly I’ve found it very capable.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I was driving in a foot of powdery snow in my 4×4 pickup earlier this year. That’s with ‘normal’ road biased tyres (80% road type things, not stupid low profile bmw type stuff). The cherokee I have is probably better as it as AT tyres. I do know how to drive off road which helps.

I’d take a shovel and some mats with me and quite happily have a go at 2′ with either.

adam_h
    Free Member

Loved my L200 in the snow last year never struggled once, but remember you still have to take it steady all because your got 4×4 doesn’t mean it isn’t going to slide.

Seconded. Still had a couple of hairy moments in 2wd, but knock it into 4wd, it’d go most places without touching the diff lock. Running Cooper S/T’s this year too, so should help out abit more in the soft stuff. I sometimes carry abit of weight in the back of mine over winter to aid traction. Also carry a shovel, recovery gear, spare fuel and warm clothes if I’m heading off the beaten track or unploughed roads.

Something like a Shogun, with decent AT tyres is going to go further than Partner with snow tyres. Ground clearance of the Pug is around 160mm, while the Shogun is about 230mm. And 4wd makes a big difference.

psling
    Free Member

I’m surprised that the people with 4×4 driving experience reckon they can drive through 2 ft + of snow. You may be able to blast through the occasional deep drift but if the snow is consistently deeper than the bumper height and also the diff height (which 2 ft + is unless you’re on some sort of monster truck tyres) then you’re going to grind to a halt sooner or later, however good your tyres are. You may get away with it over compacted snow if you’re able to ride over it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Depends on the snow as you said. Powder isn’t a problem and a compacted layer will make a lot of difference. I’d be amazed to see 2 foot of dense snow for any distance in the UK. But a shovel and mats will get you back the way you came.

Fred
    Free Member

I’ve been out in the 5 inches of snow we have here (Beverley in East Yorkshire) in my Freelander 1 with Dueller HTs and had loads of fun today.

I’ve never driven in 2ft of snow though and would imagine it wouldn’t take long to get stuck without snow chains and plenty of digging.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Last year I drove through the mega snow we had in the quattro. Proper winter tyres, over 200 horses – it were brilliant. I battered up the motorway at silly speeds. Much fun!

Northwind

Is it really 2 foot? Or just the normal “2 foot of snow” that people talk about that turns out to mean 2 foot at the deepest drifts but 6 inches everywhere else?

With regards the amount of snow – click on his profile and it would seem apparent he lives far oop North, so 2′ may not be a complete exaggeration.

Andituk
    Free Member

Even my Impreza on summer tyres was an improvement on most 2wd on road tyres last year for traction. A decent 4×4 with good tyres on will be the best option. Just don’t forget, 4×4 doesn’t help in terms of stopping and turning, just in going.

jordie
    Free Member

Northwind you have no idea how much snow we get up here.It never really makes the main news, it hasn`t stopped snowing here since thursday.

5thElefant
    Free Member

4×4 doesn’t help in terms of stopping and turning, just in going.

Yeah they do. Engine braking on all 4 wheels and a low ratio box make a huge difference, as do locked diffs.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

2ft is quite a bit for the UK!
    Drove up an icy hill with no issues earlier in our 110 Defender while a defeated VW van and two cars had to find alternative routes. Might not cruise through 2ft of snow but if a Defender can’t do it, nothing can.

Yeah they do. Engine braking on all 4 wheels and a low ratio box make a huge difference, as do locked diffs.

Agreed

Been working in the North East just lately with lots of snow this week. The amount of vehicles on site that have been getting stuck with just 2 wheels on the verge and 2 on the road, even pre snow was ridiculous, wheras I’ve been able to get all 4 wheels on and off no probs.

Andituk
    Free Member

Hm, fair point. Other[/b] than engine braking, what has 4×4 ever done for us? 😉

Northwind

jordie – Member

“Northwind you have no idea how much snow we get up here.It never really makes the main news, it hasn`t stopped snowing here since thursday.”

I’ve got a pretty good idea thanks. But most people massively exaggerate snow depth, so it’s worth considering that. I would bet you 10 scottish pence that your man’s 2 feet turns out to be less.

lovewookie

Even though our lowly Tucson is an SUV type it’s a great little thing in snow. Last year and so far this year it’s managed to get up and around most with the 4WD lock on.

One thing though, can’t engine brake with 4WD on, the back wheels push uneavenly, guess it must be something to do with the traction control?

epicyclo

I’ve been out on my Pugsley most of today. The deepest snow I found was hip deep in a drift on a dirt track, but it was loose and easy to get through. (I’m even norther)

Mostly about 3-6″ on fire roads, and a bit deeper on single track.

Futureboy77

Trail Rat, as you know i’m not far from you and 2ft sounds a bit OTT.

FWIW i used to have a Disco and never had any problems (around your neck of the woods too). I now have a BMW and it’s not moved for a few days now! 😉

LycraLout
    Free Member

fwiw – spent the weekend in the lower reaches of highland perthshire. moved car out of dip where the house, but still 1/4 mile from nearest (unsnowploughed) road. 1′ – 2′ snow. then onto compacted snow for about 5 miles to snowploughed road. no problem apart from short uphill pull getting started
    car is honda cr-v, so far from “proper” 4×4.
    wouldn’t like to deal with deeper snow or longer distance to proper road though

trail_rat
    Free Member

your all miles from me – im in malabo WA

the village near mines has 4 or 5 inches seemingly

landlord text me and said we have 2 foot at least and there car wont move at all even on the flat !

for all i know it could be 2 inches … although i got photos on thursday showing at least 6 inches of snow on our patio table …. and there has been considerably more since ….

the missus has bailed out of our house because of the snow it seems that as you go inland from laurencekirk it goes kinda crazy ! bearing in mind im quite a bit higher up that stonehaven!

trail_rat
    Free Member

have never drivven a 4 x 4 in snow only deep mud and water – and although snow is sometimes refered to as white mud – it acts entirely different from my limited experiance in cars …..

sweepy
    Free Member

Im in the highlands and the track between my house and the road is 1-1.5 feet deep, with the odd drift going to 2 ft or slightly more.
    The trick for me was bung chains on and use the car to plough it to a manageable depth before it consolidates.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I took my old terrano up Rivington Pike in the days before they started getting arsy about vehicles going up, the snow wasn’t too bad, lower down had melted and re-frozen overnight so the problems were there, higher up it was a bit more packed and a bit more grip to be had. Probably not even 3 inches on the ground by the time I got there. Was using some Kumho ATs at the time.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The trouble with real snow is that it gathers under the vehicles and ends up lifting the front end.

If you do have a lot of snow, get one of these…

dontgetoutenough
    Free Member

Did a good deed in mine yesterday, whilst out for a test ride after a few weeks broken, I came accross a van trying to go up a fair hill in about a foots worth of snow ,i advised him to turn but he had to deliver a wedding cake, quite a big one too, we put it in the passenger seat and delivered it in the trusty vitara, I hope the rest of the wedding was ok, there was no room for his missus who wasn’t happy at all at seeing her work dissapear in a rusty old motor 😀

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

A pink landy?
    doesn’t the snow melt from the heat of your 😳

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Doesn’t look pink to me. Must be your monitor.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This was this morning. Consistently over a foot deep. Diff locktastic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘4x4s in the snow’ is closed to new replies.