Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 40 tooth outer chainring with shift pins, ramps etc – Help please?
  • Vortexracing

Fancy trying a 40t outer on my triple chainset, anybody know where I can get one. All the ones I can find tend to be without shift pins and ramps.

It's for a XT770 crankset 104BCD. Is it an unusual size, the smallest pinned and ramped ones seem to be 42?

More importantly do the pins and ramps make a big difference? I have only ever run ramped and pinned ones so I don't have a clue what amount of difference having them makes.

Ta

Chuck

toppers3933
    Free Member

try a middleburn slick shift. think they do them in a 104pcd 40t.

toppers3933
    Free Member

just out of interest why do you want to run a 40t?

Vortexracing

tried middleburn and they only do 42.

Running a 44 at the moment and tend to be either at the top end of the block on the 44 or at the bottom end on my 32 middle. (which it tends to drop the chain a bit)

Just thought a 40 would give me a decent chain tension to try and stop dropping the chain and not be on the big ring at the front and the big at the rear.

Maybe a 42 will suffice?

probably need to look at the ratios which I have not done yet 😳

keavo
    Free Member

i use a ta chinook 40t middle ring in the big ring position on an xt triple chainset. from sjscycles about £40

RobHilton
    Free Member

Clee Cycles stock TA Chainrings in tons of sizes

Chisel
    Free Member

Keavo does the 40T fit okay with standard bolts as much like Vortex i'd be keen to try a smaller big ring.

keavo
    Free Member

the ta 40t middle fits o.k. but its not quite perfect. the ring is a little loose where it bolts on to the crank spider. once the bolts are in and tightened its o.k. it shouldn't move….mine hasn't anyway. also the front mech needs to stay at about the same height as if you had a 44t on, if you move it down it will catch the 32t ring.

njee20
    Free Member

The 32 – 40 won't be a very good shift, would recommend just doing a 2×9 set up and going for 26/40 or something.

keavo
    Free Member

32 to 40 is a great shift, fast and quiet.

Gee76
    Free Member

Double and bash!!!!.

36 outer means ya only drop the 44 x 11 & the 44 x 12 or 13. Tho you know this as I ramble on about it every week 😉

We'll work on getting rid of that granny ring laters 🙂

keavo
    Free Member

40t is good on 29er, 44t is too big even on a race bike. i've tried 2×9 but concluded that if i'm going to have a mech and shifter i might as well have 3 rings. a 30t middle would be better too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

DMR make (well, more likely import form tiawan) them IIRC, they certaily doa 38t which i'm considdering, the 36t steel shimano one is doing the job nicely at the moment though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘40 tooth outer chainring with shift pins, ramps etc – Help please?’ is closed to new replies.