Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 355 rims & 'heavy' riders?
  • bowglie

Yup, I'm still ruminating over rims!

Are there any 13+ stone guys out there who are using Stan's 355 rims?
    if so, can you let me know how you get on with them please?

carlphillips
    Free Member

just shy of 13st and mine are fine with whatever i throw at them, on a HT too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

you still not made up your mind? Thought you didn't like what narrow rims did to the tyre profile. I'm settling down tonight to lace up a nice new pair of Flow rims for my second bike as I love them so much on the first.

The Stan's Alpine and Crest are wider than the 355 and lighter than the 355.

bowglie

you still not made up your mind?

yea, bloomin' ridiculous isn't it – all this over a pair of wheels 🙄

Must admit, the only reason I'm haven't just gone for another set of Flows is because I fancied having the option to switch different wheelsets between two bikes depending on terrain & season – and to give the bikes a different feel. Sort of like having 4 bikes for the price of two….er…sort of.

At the mo. I tend to run the Flow rims on my Orange 5 and the 4.2 rimmed wheels on my Pace 405. With lighter rims, the Pace has rocket ship acceleration, but with the Flow rims are on, it just take the edge off this. Although for railing corners, the Flows are in another league.

The weight and width of the Crest rims look perfect – just a shame Hope don't do them as a factory build (yet?). I'm gonna drop Hope a line and see if they're planning to use the Crests in the near future. (if money was no object, I'd have a pair of Crests built by JustRiding Along). Cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

Until recently, I had exactly the same set up. I have two bikes. One FS and one HT. Two pair of wheels for each. Each bike had a set of 317 with 2" ish type tyres and 321 with big tyres. However, since I replaced the rims on the HT with Flow, I've not used the other wheelset. So, I'm going to do the same with the FS bike and find other homes for the spare wheels. I'm just going to have one set of wheels per bike with Flow rims on each. If the Alpine/crest had come out sooner, I might have put those on the HT but I'm more than happy with the Flow. Still, I weight over 200 lbs and don't race so I'm not overly sure what this "snappy accelleration" thing is. 😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

My mate has 355's running tubeless with nobby nic's, he did a belting jump yesterday on it. he was going miles to fast and their was no way he could land it , he landed it bad on the front wheel all crossed up, thought he had buckled his front wheel badly but we carried on, after he scrapped him self of the frozen mud. After a while we stopped and realised the tyre had come off the rim seat but not gone down, let a little bit of pressure out of the tyre and it "banged" and reseated. awesome wheel not even buckled, hes about 12 stone. Me and my other two mates have em as well, we have litterally tw4tted em to death and they are still perfect. 😆 (all using hope pro 2 or 3 hubs)

Just buy em.

pate
    Free Member

I'm about 13.5. 355 on my rigid singlespeed, Olympics on my race bike, Arch on my trail bike. All good. Olympic's – had these the longest and still good. You should be OK with 355's.

bowglie

Thanks for the latest feedback, certainly got more confidence in the 355's now. If I know that I'm going for a bounce down the local rock gardens, I'll probably stick the Flows on for damage limitation, but the 355's sound brilliant for trail centrey and 'normal' XC stuff.

BTW, had to smile at the jump 'incident' (hope your mate was also OK) – sounds like the just the type of thing I normally end up doing, especially when trying to show the wife how it's done! typically something like 'now if you just carry a bit more speed and copy what I'm doin……..woaahhh..SPLAT….who put that effin tree there!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘355 rims & 'heavy' riders?’ is closed to new replies.