Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 32" TV for £200, Can it be done?
  • thepodge
    Free Member

I’m moving house and need a TV.

Just wondered if anyone had seen any good deals around.

Cheapest I can find in shops is £269

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thepodge
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I love the ASDA Site

Free delivery on orders over £25 when collecting in store (selected stores only)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

From a cursory look I would think the AOC might be a better bet – they are a more established name and have a history in computer monitors. Luxor was a name that I think Nokia owned and sold so who knows.

Can also find some comments on yahoo about avoiding Luxor.

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah I used to have a AOC monitor many moons back.

I could probably manage with less than 32 considering I don’t own a TV and haven’t for the last 7 years but it seems to be the standard size and does look quite good

thepodge
    Free Member

I was in Richer Sounds yesterday messing with some kind of multi room audio system.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sometimes they can be haggled with for a deal on a display model.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I have a Luxor LCD/DVD/Freeview combo in our caravan. It’s been fine.

GrahamS

Go to your local dump. Pick up a 36 inch standard def TV for nothing, take off your glasses and watch in comfort.

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

You can have this one I got earlier for the princely sum of £50 if you want? Just meet me around the back of Asda at half 12 tomorrow with cash yeah?

thepodge
    Free Member

Looks like an old Marin paint job on that bike

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pick up a 36 inch standard def TV for nothing, take off your glasses and watch in comfort.

That doesn’t make sense – CRTs suffer from glare whereas a non-glosy LCD doesn’t, and unless they are 100Hz they will also suffer from flicker. Modern LCDs don’t suffer from flicker to the same extent at all.

GrahamS

I’m still using an old standard def CRT that we’ve had for 10 years odd. Can’t say I notice any problems with “glare” or “flicker”.

Besides there are plenty of standard def LCDs available for buttons in the charity shops if that suits the op.

Milkie
    Free Member

Modern LCDs don’t suffer from flicker to the same extent at all

You’re right, they have much worse problems, ghosting, banding, input lag, dead pixels, rubbish colours (8-bit not 32bit) and a narrowish viewing angle.

I love my LCD, but also love my CRT as I’m not looking at the banding or colours thinking that doesnt look right.

I would go for the Luxor as its 1080p, and has a better contrast ratio.

thepodge
    Free Member

crt is a bit big for my small lounge

I dunno what charity shops you guys have but the most modern thing I’ve seen in any round here was an ELO EP

cp

I’m loving the race to flat panels… meant our 14″ CRT got upgraded to a flat screen 28″ CRT for £35.

I MUCH prefer the picture (and sound considerably so) on an old CRT to the picture on cheaper LCD panels. IMO you need to be spending a few hundred quid to get a decent tft. GF’s parents bought a 26″ Panasonic and that has a nice picture (prefer it to the CRT) but that cost over £500.

GrahamS

I dunno what charity shops you guys have but the most modern thing I’ve seen in any round here was an ELO EP

Try the British Heart Foundation. They have 100 Furniture & Electrical shops across the country. Last time I went past the one in Edinburgh (Dalry Road) they had a whole wall of TVs.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/shop/our-local-shops.aspx

woody2000

tvsdirect.co.uk

32″ for £219

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

CRTs often lok like a better picture because of the glass screen, in the same way that glossy LCDs appear to look better than matt LCDs.

But you get relections on the glossy surface, which equals glare.

And old CRTs ran at 50Hz refresh – if you can’t see that then you are lucky.

I had a 540p Sharp LCD (optimised for PAL) and the picture on it was great as there was no need for upscaling or picture processing, plus the colours were excellent.

Don’t be fooled by specs though – published contrast ratios mean little, and if you get a 1080p screen you better feed it with HD material or hope that the electronics in it are good enough at upscaling the picture to make it look acceptable. The cheaper the tv the less likely this is.

GrahamS

you get relections on the glossy surface, which equals glare.

New school solution: expensive antiglare coatings that make the picture look muted.
    Old school solution: don’t put your telly next to a window.

old CRTs ran at 50Hz refresh – if you can’t see that then you are lucky.

Might notice it on a PC monitor a foot from my face, but not on a TV the other side of the lounge.
    Besides most broadcast TV signals are 25 frames-per-second anyway, (either 25p or 50i), so 50Hz refresh works just fine.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

At normal viewing distances the flicker is easily viewable on a TV at 50Hz, for me anyway. Maybe you don’t see blue properly.

GrahamS

Maybe?

I don’t have any problems with flicker on any of my PC monitors either (all LCD/tft).
    They are all locked to 60Hz and I sit much closer.

How do you manage to use a PC if you are sensitive to it?
    Does it not give you a killer headache?

I have noticed some flicker with this new 3D telly though:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uef17zOCDb8[/video]

😉

thepodge
    Free Member

if it works I don’t care for the spec

cheers for the heads up on the BHF

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Using a PC in the days of CRTs was painful until they started supporting 72Hz refresh rates. And teletext on CRT tvs was a no go.

So LCDs are much better, with 60Hz being fine. I had trouble looking at my mates new Mac with a glossy screen though – it was flickering badly. And my wifes new Sony isn’t that great either.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Classic video!!!

GrahamS

Wow! Sounds like you are pretty sensitive to it TG.

I guess LCDs/tfts might be easier for you because although the screen refresh is nominally 60Hz, they should have a fairly static backlight, so there is less of a flashing effect compared to CRT.

Definitely doesn’t bother me that much – though I can sympathise as my pet hate is electronic whine, usually from transformers or big caps, which other people say they can’t hear.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I choose the right career then, programming computers – 25 years now 🙂

Back to the tv’s though – I would ensure you get a somewhat decent warranty with a cheaper set, otherwise you might end up buying another one.

For instance JL do a Panasonic 32 for £329 with a 5 year warranty, so that will def. be £329 for 5 years usage.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231121389/Product.aspx

And I wouldn’t worry about 1080P on that size set unless you want to feed a PC into it, or gaming console.

At 10 feet or so viewing distance you will struggle to see the difference.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘32" TV for £200, Can it be done?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts