Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 30mm long stems?
  • blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Im looking for a very short stem for my new bike. There are loads of options for 35mm stems, but im looking for even shorter. So far i have found the Answer stem, but the only stock i can find is in red, which i dont really fancy, and a renthal, which is very nice but pricey. Does anyone know of any others?

Thanks

batman11
    Free Member

Renthal do a 31mm from memory

cookeaa

Well go much shorter than 31mm and the bar/steerer would be in direct Contact… Assuming it’s for a 31.8mm bar.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    transporter13
    Free Member

Look at the on off stoic stems that come on mondrakers

leegee

Those Pacenti stems with the dimple are the shortest.

chiefgrooveguru

Bear in mind it isn’t just the stem length that matters but also the handlebar shape – and not just the back sweep but also how far forward or back you roll them. And the greater the bar rise, the more the roll in degrees affects the effective stem length in mm.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

thanks, Im aware of that Chief, I know that bars etc can make a big difference as well. Im planning to try both a 30 and a 35, and i allready have a 40mm stem, so want to see what works best for me. Ill check out the on off stem, the Renthal is looking most likely at the moment.

sic_nick

Steerer tube diameter 28.6mm
    Bars 31.8mm
    Add together gives 60.4mm, halve that for the radius gives 30.2mm so you need the Pacenti like mentioned previously or look at Mondraker, they do a 30mm conventional stem and go shorter with the bars being raised above the steerer
    Mondraker 30mm stem

sargey2003

Syntace do 30mm for 31.8 bars
    Raceface go down to 32mm for 35mm bars

tonyja
    Free Member

loads of direct mount versions but if you’re talking regular then Rental Apex is pretty much it – various ones here

ratherbeintobago

Stupid question – if you put a bar with much sweepback on and a really short stem, aren’t the grips going to end up in line with or behind the steerer axis?

Won’t that do odd things to the handling?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘30mm long stems?’ is closed to new replies.