• This topic has 25 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Doug.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 3 Season Tyres
  • sparky6911
    Free Member

Just wondering what tyres people are using as managed to rip the side wall in both Bontrager Jones tonight on the mendips. Going tubeless ghetto style with this set so any advice would be great. Looking for something that will do 3 seasons and good on wet rocks and roots.

I have been recommended Maxxis ignitor, Minion and the bonty XR4 Team issue.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

RealMan
    Free Member

conti rubber queens

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Schwalbe nn front, rr rear, used for about 12 consecutive seasons now, end of thread.

mboy
    Free Member

Those Bonty XR4's have had good reviews, though they're quite big for a 2.2" apparently.

I've used the predecessor, the ACX for some time, they're great, but quite small for a 2.2" conversely.

langy
    Free Member

Rolling on ignitors at the moment as a "winter" tyre down here in Aus; can see my lazy self leaving them on for a fair while beyond winter though.

Nobby Nick from Schwalbe would be great too though – just can't afford them currently 🙁

Northwind

Which 3 seasons? 😆

Nevegals for me are the tyre for everything, they're slow in summer and not as good as a mud tyre in winter but they can do everything, fairly well. But no doubt everyone else will recommend something different.

sparky6911
    Free Member

Good point northwind, I have a set of Maxxis Medusa for the winter.

flow
    Free Member

Nobby Nics

elaineanne
    Free Member

'kenda blue groove' up front and 'schwalbe nobby nic' on rear…..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Nevegals are completely pointless on Mendip in the winter – may as well have a slick. I also seem to strip the rubber from them at record speed.

I've ran them for a couple of years as a dry/intermediate season tyre, but they're not so great on the SS I use due to the torque – they seem to spin alot so, IMO, not quite the 3 season you're after. I've found that with the slippery limestone plus clay mud on Mendip I get on better with tyres with fewer, but larger knobs, things like high roller, rubber queen, nobby nic, mud X etc.

IMO I think a three season tyre for Mendip is a pretty tall order. The wetter end of spring and autumn you may as well put the medusa's on earlier, and go for something like thats slightly more biased towards the dry end that can cope with a bit of mud.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah mendips is tricky, Winter slop, spring dust, summer slop, autumn dust.

I'd say Bonty mudx when it's sticky, Kenda Blue Groove (front) Small Black 8 rear when it's dry.

sparky6911
    Free Member

Scienceofficer, that is pretty much what I do, only took the medusa off mid april and will prob go back on in Oct, so really looking for something from may through to end of sept.

nickegg
    Free Member

Minion on the front and Advantage on the rear. I've had good results going ghetto with these but i'm now on UST on both bikes.

Now on Rubber Queen UST (havn't ridden these yet though!) on the hardtail and Ignitor/Crossmark LUST on the full-sus.

BoardinBob

High Rollers FTW

Great in everything apart from thick mud

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I run a 2.35 high roller SPC kevlar on the front and 2.35 high roller semi slick (they only do them in SPC steel) rear most of the time, got 2.1 swampthings for the winter.

2.4 hollyroller for dry days on rocky terrain (peaks in summer).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just got a front NN and am very impressed. Will get one for the rear once I wear it out (currently a Sauserwind).

I run high pressure 1.8s.

toons
    Free Member

Maxxis 2.35 Ardent on the rear & 2.35 Minion DHR on the Front (washes out less than the Minion DHF).

mattp
    Free Member

i have been mostly enjoying rocket ron at the front racing ralph rear but following the challlenge of "taking my life in my hands" i've got a pair of furious freds in the garage waiting to go on. it's quite gravelly and flinty around here and i have only had one cut that the latex didn't deal with very well but i managed another ten or so miles home with the tyre staying up

br
    Free Member

NN front and a Larsen on the back, normal tyres run tubeless.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Sparky, I,m a mendip rider too, medusa all winter for me then on with Michelin XC AT 2.2 for the rest of the year on the front with an XC dry2 on the back of SS the rest of the time.

Worked for past couple of years for me, worth a punt atm from On-one as currently v cheap

james
    Free Member

Which 3 seasons? Spring-Summer-Autumn, Autumn-Winter-Spring or given the weather the past few years 'Summer'-Autumn-Winter?

"Maxxis ignitor, Minion and the bonty XR4"
    Ignitors and Minions (XR4's kind of sitting in the middle) are very different tyres
    A minion upfront, with an ignitor rear might make for a reasonable setup (if lacking a bit in pedalling traction) in damper conditions

"Nevegals are completely pointless on Mendip in the winter – may as well have a slick .. not so great on the SS I use due to the torque – they seem to spin"
    Are you running them both 'ramps first', ie the 'normal' way round
    If so then you're relying on the ramps for pedalling traction, hence the slipping under pedalling, try running them the other way round, they seem to brake alright IME but the pedalling traction is better

"I get on better with tyres with fewer, but larger knobs, things like high roller .. "
    High Rollers are similar to nevegals with ramped tread (if anything a greater proportion of the tread is ramped?)

High Roller 2.35" 60a fold. front, then maybe Michelin Dry2 2.15" (fold.) on the rear is my current thinking for an 'all round' summerish combo atm.

Though partly because I haven't tried them, and Bontrager ACX's have been discontinued (and the XR4s are very heavy) I'm tempted to try a Specialized Purgatory instead of high rollers for damper riding with some 'proper' ups

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

"I get on better with tyres with fewer, but larger knobs, things like high roller .. "
    High Rollers are similar to nevegals with ramped tread (if anything a greater proportion of the tread is ramped?)

Yes, similar in shape, but not in SIZE! IMO maxxis rubber is generally better than the DTC stuff that Kenda uses.

blurltrider
    Free Member

Maxxis ardent on the front, maxxis advantage on the back – have been great so far.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

For all year round fit and forget Nobby Nics, but they are expensive and to be honest you willhave to replace them

Hairychested
    Free Member

Maxxis AdVantage, Maxxis HR, Bonty, Geax something, Tioga XC Factory 1.95, Panaracer Fire 2.1.
    Loads of choice, every one of them can be praised or cursed.

Doug
    Free Member

Swampy/Minion combo for 3 seasons then Ardent/Aspen for the summer.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘3 Season Tyres’ is closed to new replies.