Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 3 peaks cyclocross, fit enough?
  • deep_river
    Free Member

I am considering trying to get in the 3 peaks this year. However I havent raced my bike for years.

I can run a 45 min 10K at the mo, and have just recently got back into cycling big time, with the purchase of a new bike. I can just about manage to do a 40 mile ride, anymore and I start feeling it.

Do you reckon that a few months trainig will be enough to get me round the course respectably, finishing in the top half would be good. About 10 years ago I was a good sports cat rider, so its in there somewhere, just 10 year older now, with 2 stones more of a beer gut!

deep_river
    Free Member

Any advice?????

How tough is this race?

Jerome
    Free Member

I can run a 45 min 10K at the mo

You will be fine…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Races are as tough as those who enter them. That race gets sold out in hours and I expect it's a tough field.

oldgit
    Free Member

Have you taken it out of it's box yet 😛

Going to have a go myself this year. Only I suffer big time walking up inclines and from what a few locals tell me, there ain't that many that run it.

twinklydave

It's tough.

It's really quite tough!

A couple of months of good, 'proper', 3 peaks specific training will get you round. Maybe not in the top half of the field, but get you round (and even that can be an achievement!)

My prevous efforts:
    first time
    second, slightly wiser time

aP
    Free Member

After regretting not taking up the offer of a free place 10 years ago I'm considering riding making it round this year.

Starrman28
    Free Member

It's tough but like all races it depends how quickly you intend to go. The first climb up Simon fell is F*ing steep & much steeper than I'd imagined. The last climb up Penygent is ok and rideable (gear choice depending apart from the last bit.
    It’s a cracking ride well worth getting fit for. I found it hard on my knees but they’re a bit shagged anyway.

Go for it if you can get an entry

stever
    Free Member

You know I reckon hill fitness counts more than bike. Anyone can ride 37 miles or whatever it is. I got left for dead in the first road section, such is the rubbishness of my biking. Made bazillions of places up on the death slogs up Ingleborough and Whernside though, from fell running legs. Not top half, but not too shabby.

oldgit
    Free Member

aP 🙂

Looking at results it seems a fickle event. aP looking at guys we raced with their times have been between 3.50 and 4.30…..six hours then!
    Then there's Pete Davis from Milton Keynes (my Patch) who got second fastest V50 one year and a DNF the next.

Twinklydave, 3 Peaks specific in the flatlands of Bedfordshire, any ideas? I was just going to keep riding and stretch alot.

deep_river
    Free Member

excellent, cheers for the advise, I am a glutton for punishment, so reckon I'll try and get in.

Maybe just getting round should be my first goal.

Yes Oldgit, I have ridden the new bike loads already, and its great. Just wished I hadnt dithered around for so long choosing 🙄 I coulda had more riding time! I cant wait for the west mids league to start in winter.

twinklydave

Twinklydave, 3 Peaks specific in the flatlands of Bedfordshire, any ideas? I was just going to keep riding and stretch alot.

Find a tower block and run up and down the stairs with your bike on your shoulder.
    (In fact, find 3, each about 20 minutes fast ride away from the previous and run up them!)

oldgit
    Free Member

If I got in I predict that I'd hang back which is something I do when entering the unknown.
    I have trouble on Polaris events just walking to the checkpoints.

MrSparkle

It's a fantastic event so if you can get in then go for it! I'd second the climbing with the bike training somehow as it's pretty hilly round here but I hadn't done enough of it. Believe me Simon Fell is an eye opener!

oldgit
    Free Member

I suppose I could use the back of Ivinghoe Beacon, that's gonna fubber my shoes right away.
    Look forward to reading those blogs later.

oldgit
    Free Member

Find a tower block and run up and down the stairs with your bike on your shoulder.
    (In fact, find 3, each about 20 minutes fast ride away from the previous and run up them!)

When they said you could reach dizzy heights in this sports they didn't mean this did they 😐

firestarter
    Free Member

Lad at work has done it a few times best result ninth iirc he trains lots . He races tri normally but runs and cycles non stop lol. He'll do 200 road miles between night shifts He also likes running up tower blocks in full kit which we get to do quite a lot but he does it for training. He is clearly not all there tho 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

I did over 6 hours the first year and 5:27 last year I want to crack 5 hours this year 😕

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I've been round 3 times in circa 3hrs 08mins.

Don't worry about running, you'll not be doing any/much! strength for the cycling bits and some good hill walking will see you right. start now though. do lots of stretching, calf raises on the stairs wouldn't be a bad thing either as that's the bit of your body that takes the biggest hammering IME.

Entries open on July 1st and close about 3hrs later!

oldgit
    Free Member

Edric 64 I can't see myself doing any better than that. Although I race cross I don't think that'll count for anything.
    I'm fearful almost as I don't know the area at all or done anything like this.

ourmaninthenorth

He is clearly not all there tho

Evidently:

He races tri

paul4stones

I agree with stever – it's a fell runner's bike race. I did it last year for the first time – I do more running 'training' than cycling and found it fine. I enjoyed being dragged in by a V60 at the end! Friendly folk.

Looking forward to it this year if I can get in and hoping the 210 miles I rode on Saturday will help 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Doing cross doesnt count for a lot .From the way you write you come across as a fit oldgit! so give it a go.It's a great weekend .Make sure you enter on Thursday it fills up quickly.We stay in the caving club hut at the start .It costs a fiver a night we make a weekend of it Friday to Monday .

MrSparkle

Blazin-saddles – Member
    I've been round 3 times in circa 3hrs 08mins.

Wow! That's pretty impressive. Good enough to have got you 3rd place for the last 2 years. And you would have been 2nd in 2006.

Edric64
    Free Member

And possibly won in 1995/96 and 98

crikey
    Free Member

Done it in 3.30, been support crew for a few other years, the weather makes a massive difference to times, as does the ability to ride a cross bike over traditional mountain bike style descents, and the ability to get stuck in on the road, and the ability to get up the hills with your bike on your back.

Spare bike if you can, with knowledgeable support guy, who knows where to be so you can run/roll as fast as you can knowing there will be a new bike or new wheel at a certain point.

Good feeding strategy; camelbak, plus gels, plus other stuff if you require.

Above all, the ability to save your bike, not puncture and keep on keeping on is the most important.

Training strategy; three hour rides, with long bike carries in the middle, get used to riding tired and learn not to make stupid mistakes…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

6th 2002, 3rd 2005, 2nd 2006. not entered since, don't think I could do better whilst Rob is still around!

oldgit
    Free Member

I will be entering Edric, I'll be in V50s if I'm successful. Then I'll have to sort out some specifics.

twinklydave

6th 2002, 3rd 2005, 2nd 2006.

You must have run up a lot of tower blocks as training 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

See you there hopefully from the back in the v40s

Edric64
    Free Member

, don't think I could do better whilst Rob is still around!

Or Nick Craig after his efforts last year!!

MrSparkle

Blazin saddles – you are Dave Collins of Scott UK and I claim my £5!

Reeespec'

firestarter
    Free Member

Did you not know that Mr sparkle lol 😉

minnellium
    Free Member

If you can run a 45 min 10k you'll generally be fine, and it is much more about fitness and possibly the ability to turn head off to pain a bit.

My advice for a fittish first timer would be break it down in your head. It's 'only' three long climbs, three technical descents, and three road sections. How hard you can / want to do them is up to you – but I'll bet you'll be trying to catch whoever's in front of you wherever you are in the field.

If you can't find massive hills to train on, find short ones, and do hard reps.

crazy-legs

Hardest event I've ever done (done it 3 times now). You finish it compketely wrecked, it's SO hard on the body. It's not like you can just switch off either, you've got to be 100% concentrating the whole way.

Last year I was just getting over a really bad chest infection, I was riding like a dog on the climbs but I managed to make up a few places on the descents cos I'd recce'd the course in the weeks leading up to it, doing runs (on foot) over Whernside and PyG, looking at the line choices, riding round the roads so I knew the distances. Makes a huge difference mentally.

I'll be there again this year, trying to break 4hrs. I'd have managed it last year but for that chest infection. Grrr…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

6th 2002, 3rd 2005, 2nd 2006.

You must have run up a lot of tower blocks as training

Actually I was working as a tiler in a block of flats and walked up the stairs 2 at a time with a bag of adhesive on my shoulder hundreds of times over the 6 mths before the race.

Or Nick Craig after his efforts last year!!

I can have Craigy, any time, any place 😉

MrSparkle

I can have Craigy, any time, any place

£5?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘3 peaks cyclocross, fit enough?’ is closed to new replies.