• This topic has 58 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • 3 Peaks cyclocross
  • isitafox
    Free Member

You wouldn’t like my risers then….

Edric64
    Free Member

Not on the peaks you would be DQed

2tyred

In. Yaassss!

Now for convincing Mrs Tyred that driving in the support convoy will be a fun way for her to spend the day. She’s feeling guilty that she didn’t come and help me at 10 under the Ben yesterday, so now’s the time to mount the campaign. Anyone successfully got their OH to do this and what’s to expect for a support car?

Gary_C

I reckon that there will be a few riders (roadie types especially) that won’t take up their option of a place when they see item 17 in this years Regulations & Instructions:

17. Any rider may be subject to a drugs control test.

😉

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to what Boxelder says – an hour can get you a long way from Helwith Bridge (that may be a good thing 😛 ) – we typically take an hour from the Skipton area to get to the M6 at J36 (the Kendal exit) and that’s in traffic and travelling at a legal speed.

One hotel that hasn’t been mentioned yet is Hipping Hall at Cowan Bridge which is just before Kirkby Lonsdale.

If you feel adventurous there’s always the Simonstone Hotel – as recommended by Jeremy Clarkson!

albebot
    Free Member

I seem to be in the waiting list. I don’t suppose anyone knows if there’s a realistic chance of getting in?

Not sure whether to totally write it off for this year or cling on to the slim chance a spot may come up.

adampridmore
    Free Member

Err, a thread about the Three Peaks Cyclocross and no one’s mentioned tyres and pressures?

Land Cruisers
    65psi

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

65 psi?
    I thought most guys were running 80 psi plus?
    Thinking of running Racing Ralphs on Crest 29ers.
    Dunno what pressure yet?
    What did Paul Oldham and the Hope crew run last year?
    Doubt many run tubeless because of the higher pressure?
    Thanks,
    Max

kilo

cheers for the accomodation tips, will research them and order land cruisers!

fooman

Can you get Racing Ralphs skinny enough for regs? Land Cruisers if dry, CX Pro if persisting rain my choices.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

What did Paul Oldham and the Hope crew run last year?

He didn’t race last year, but either way…. Rob usually uses the Hope Hoops mtb wheels, Crest 29er rims with Racing Ralph 35c tyres tubeless at around 55psi, ditto Paul, but they’re both light enough to just about get away with them, although Rob punctured a couple of times last year and said he won’t use tubeless again.

Myself and Dan being, er, bigger units, tend to need to make time up down hill so a bit more tyre is needed and run Land Cruisers with thick tubes at around 80psi on the Hope Tech XC rims. I have also tried Smart Sams but they’re too thin a sidewall and got destroyed.

Don’t worry about tread pattern, there’s nothing much to get a grip on anyway so think puncture protection over everything else. Land Cruisers are crap and heavy, but have super thick sidewalls and a roll well once up to speed due to the central band on the tread. I’ve used them in the heaviest of rain up there and not come to much more grief than if I was using grippy tyres.

mayan
    Free Member

So if I’ve not received a mail by now then that means I’m not in?
    Or do they send out rejection mails as well?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Blazin what width do you recommend on the Land Cruiser?

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

A few thoughts on the different parts of this thread …

Tyres: I rode Landcruisers last year, but want something a little lighter for this year. I’ve had a recommendation to try Panaracer Cindercross from Dave Haygarth (awesome clincher and roll beautifully). That’s what I’ll be doing.

2tyred

Now for convincing Mrs Tyred that driving in the support convoy will be a fun way for her to spend the day.

I’m not convinced it looks much fun being in a support team. From talking to some people it’s very stressful, and getting a bit out of hand. There’s so many people with mobile support and it’s getting a bit busy, as well as dangerous in places. Personally, I don’t see the need for mobile support, except for the elite riders. Last year my wife and kids were positioned on PyG with some food and water. For your average rider that’s all you really need IMO.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Personally, I don’t see the need for mobile support,

I was talking to the organisers last year, trying to explain the virtues of it being an unsupported event…obviously I didnt have much impact 😆

IMO would be better, and say more about the skill of the rider if it was self supported in terms of kit.

Would also stop the idiotic driving race that goes on.

eddie11
    Free Member

i think the support comes from the cross/roadie side of its culture and wont go away. There are some close passes between ribblehead and penyghent. Annoying when they are clearly all cyclists/supporters of cyclists driving.

i saw a team supported by cargo bikes last year. Big dutch, low loader front types. they were great. they can come again

fooman

What was apparent to me with the Tour de France and to a lesser extent Tour de Yorkshire is big road events require a lot of petroleum to run, with a lot of crazy driving (support vehicles overtaking on blind bends etc) I don’t think I want Mrs foo and the kids involved in that, but I know a few competitors so might be able to pool resources, though I’ll have a camelbak for fluids & gear and just the one bike!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Funky – 35mm is maximum permitted, so use that in as wide a rim as you can.

Re support, I’ve ridden start to finish on the same bike every year, unless you count the year I finished 3rd and did the last 3 miles on a small child’s cross bike with minimal brakes having been offered it on the road run in when I had a double flat!

kilo

One of those things that when asked “what do you recommend?” is hard to answer but “what’s X like?” is much easier. Do a search and ask about individual establishments.

Anybody know the Falcon Manor in Settle?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks cyclocross’ is closed to new replies.